Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB Kregg Lumpkin Adjusts To Backfield

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...2-c78cfa5b8a39

"Since signing three weeks ago, Kregg Lumpkin has spent most of his time in the classroom, learning the offense and how to keep his newest teammate Eli Manning upright.

While dressing for the first two games of his Giants career, the running back’s biggest test came Sunday in Atlanta.

The depth at the position was called upon when Ahmad Bradshaw was ruled out with a knee injury, David Wilson slating to make his first career start. The rookie quickly piled up 47 yards on six carries in the first quarter, but then the Giants turned to Lumpkin after Manning’s second interception.

On their next possession, Lumpkin rushed five times for 40 yards, including a career-long 22-yarder that brought the Giants into Atlanta territory.

“You’ve got to try to persuade the defense to go one way so you can go the other way and just read off the offensive linemen,” Lumpkin said Monday. “And just go from there.”

From there, however, the drive stalled on the Giants’ first of three unsuccessful fourth-down conversions – a run by Wilson for no gain. Later on, in the third quarter, Lumpkin was targeted on fourth-and-2 from Atlanta’s 25, but Manning’s pass was knocked down at the line of scrimmage.

“The coaches call the plays, so we as the offense, as players, we’ve got to out there and make plays,” Lumpkin said. “You’ve got to execute them, and we fell short.”

Lumpkin, who lost a fumble on the Giants last offensive possession of the game, finished with nine carries for 42 yards (4.7 average). The Giants had 97 collectively, snapping their streak of consecutive games with at least 100 rushing yards at four.

Meanwhile, Bradshaw, who did not travel with the team to Atlanta, offered any advice to his teammates based on what he saw on TV.

“I’ve been asked that question by a lot of the guys,” Bradshaw said. “Just a couple of pieces missing and just a couple of things we couldn’t finish. I just would’ve liked to be in there."
    Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I'm still nerd raging over seeing a Lumpkin in our lineup.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

yeah...his first handful of run were very goood.......
      No worse than any of the other backs have done with his limited time
      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
        yeah...his first handful of run were very goood.......
        No worse than any of the other backs have done with his limited time
        More about the ???? factor over the quality (and yes he ran just as good as Wilson). We have a #1 draft pick who is a home run hitter and just proved he has the physical ability the week before. I can understand using Lumpkin to spell him, but why on earth would you split the carries?! It makes no sense. What could have Lumpkin possibly have shown the coaching staff in two weeks????

RAGE!

I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Just reading the name Lumpkin gets me angry all over again

Comment

Originally posted by TheShouldersOf View Post
            Just reading the name Lumpkin gets me angry all over again
            I know right?!

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
              More about the ???? factor over the quality (and yes he ran just as good as Wilson). We have a #1 draft pick who is a home run hitter and just proved he has the physical ability the week before. I can understand using Lumpkin to spell him, but why on earth would you split the carries?! It makes no sense. What could have Lumpkin possibly have shown the coaching staff in two weeks????

RAGE!

By the time Lumpkin was put it we were too far behind to make the running game viable. I have said in other threads, I think they were afraid Wilson was going to get hurt trying to block.

All that aside, we need to see what Lumpkin and/or Torain have. Lumpkin didn't run badly and it may well be he will serve as Wilson's breather.
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Lumpkin needs time with the offense as well. Bradshaw may or may not be viable. I have no prob with other getting touches. If he was getting stuffed and still in then ok. But he was gaining good yardage....so whats the big deal. One RB can do it all anyway
                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                  By the time Lumpkin was put it we were too far behind to make the running game viable. I have said in other threads, I think they were afraid Wilson was going to get hurt trying to block.

All that aside, we need to see what Lumpkin and/or Torain have. Lumpkin didn't run badly and it may well be he will serve as Wilson's breather.
                  Lumpkin needs time with the offense as well. Bradshaw may or may not be viable. I have no prob with other getting touches. If he was getting stuffed and still in then ok. But he was gaining good yardage....so whats the big deal. One RB can do it all anyway
                  Lumpkin was in well before the game turned one dimensional.

And no I don't think "he needs his time too ..." ... that's like benching JPP and saying Ojomo "needs his time" and they get equal snaps.

It makes absolutely no sense. ESPECIALLY if the game is out of hand. Keep the kid in and let him learn.

Comment

Why all the hate on Lumpkin, it's not his fault.

Comment

Lumpkin was in well before the game turned one dimensional.

And no I don't think "he needs his time too ..." ... that's like benching JPP and saying Ojomo "needs his time" and they get equal snaps.

It makes absolutely no sense. ESPECIALLY if the game is out of hand. Keep the kid in and let him learn.
                      Benching JPP makes no sense because he is healthy Bro..
                      Bradshaw is hurting badly and he may not be able to contribute at all.
                      Bad analogy you put up....

Comment

Benching JPP makes no sense because he is healthy Bro..
                        Bradshaw is hurting badly and he may not be able to contribute at all.
                        Bad analogy you put up....
                        No it's not ... JPP is a healthy #1 draft pick. Wilson is a healthy #1 draft pick. Both are the futures for the team at their positions.

I mean really, you prefer seeing a Lumpkin?!

Comment

don't understand the Lumpkin negativity

he came in and played well ....very well for just coming off the street

and he is a good blocker

Comment

No it's not ... JPP is a healthy #1 draft pick. Wilson is a healthy #1 draft pick. Both are the futures for the team at their positions.

I mean really, you prefer seeing a Lumpkin?!
                            Dude you are not getting it....JPP is the starter he is healthy.
                            Bradshaw is the starter and not healthy......they need to find a good combo in the event Bradhsaw cant contribute...

Comment

Dude you are not getting it....JPP is the starter he is healthy.
                              Bradshaw is the starter and not healthy......they need to find a good combo in the event Bradhsaw cant contribute...
                              They need to find a good running back. There's no rule in the NFL that says you have to split your carries and the one gripe about the kid (Wilson) is that he can't block (which is kind of a fallacy ... he blocked just fine if ugly). I understand getting Lumpkin SOME reps, but splitting the carries?!

This team is playing like a Lumpkin.

Comment

Working...
                              X