Pick A Team ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick A Team ...

... that you think is run better than the Giants (or you would like to see the Giants emulate) over the course of the past decade with respect to offense and defense and let's see if we can figure out what they're doing better.

P.S. - I bet I can debunk most of your picks.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

THE JETS. No seriously, the Patriots. Very fast paced, dink and dunk team that has a mixture of different plays.
    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
      ... that you think is run better than the Giants (or you would like to see the Giants emulate) over the course of the past decade with respect to offense and defense and let's see if we can figure out what they're doing better.

of course you can debunk them since yout think you are always right.....
      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Patriots
        Niners (under harbaugh only though)
        Texans
        Steelers

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

2 SBs in 10 years.....I have may get annoyed at stuff they do but they are doing somehting right so I like the Giants. Different strokes for different folks. Better for one team is not better for another.
          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
            of course you can debunk them since yout think you are always right.....
            Well .... duh.
            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
              THE JETS. No seriously, the Patriots. Very fast paced, dink and dunk team that has a mixture of different plays.
              I'm glad you started with the Pats because I think they happen to be the best team in the NFL, year to year over the past decade.

The absolute key to their success ... Bill Bellichick. They've been a revolving door for players (sans Brady) and coordinators (both OC and DC) and yet they always manage to remain on top of the pile. The last time they missed the playoffs, Brady was out the whole year and they STILL went 11-5 (can you imagine missing the playoffs with 11 wins?!).

HOWEVER, the Pats haven't always been that fast paced dink and dunk team. In fact, when they were in the epitome of their dink-and-dunk offense (2001-2006) they were winning SBs (and not being favored in doing so) and since moving away from that they've whiffed twice (although their regular season record has tended to improve over that duration). The Pats made the move away from the dink-dunk-run to a more vertical game with Randy Moss in 2007 and have spent the last two seasons flailing a bit (still making the SB mind you) trying to reorganize their offense.

Overall, the Pats define excellence in transition by CONSTANTLY being in transition.

Having said all that, we DID beat them twice in the biggest game the NFL has to offer

P.S. - I also happen to think Bellichick is the best HC to ever stand a side line in NFL history. Much man-love for this guy and I'm proud that he was part of the Giants organization.
              Last edited by Kruunch; 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                Patriots
                Niners (under harbaugh only though)
                Texans
                Steelers
                Patriots (noted above)

Niners - You can't be serious? All 1 3/4 seasons? Talk about fickle ... come see me in 8 years and lets see where the Harbaugh regime stands.

Texans - Have been to the playoffs ONCE in their existence.

Steelers - The Rooneys and Maras are probably the closest friends of any two ownership groups in the NFL. Not coincidentally, they also happen to be run almost identically. The major difference in my mind; Tomlin inherited one of the best DCs in the game, whereas their OCs have caused them to be offensively sputtering in fits and starts during the past decade. Conversely, our own OC has continually kept the Giants in the top third of the league in offensive production during his tenure. The Steelers earn one more trip to the SB than the Giants under their current regimes and lost. Otherwise, they could be virtual twin franchises (fraternal twins obviously).

Comment

I'm glad you started with the Pats because I think they happen to be the best team in the NFL, year to year over the past decade.

The absolute key to their success ... Bill Bellichick. They've been a revolving door for players (sans Brady) and coordinators (both OC and DC) and yet they always manage to remain on top of the pile. The last time they missed the playoffs, Brady was out the whole year and they STILL went 11-5 (can you imagine missing the playoffs with 11 wins?!).

HOWEVER, the Pats haven't always been that fast paced dink and dunk team. In fact, when they were in the epitome of their dink-and-dunk offense (2001-2006) they were winning SBs (and not being favored in doing so) and since moving away from that they've whiffed twice (although their regular season record has tended to improve over that duration). The Pats made the move away from the dink-dunk-run to a more vertical game with Randy Moss in 2007 and have spent the last two seasons flailing a bit (still making the SB mind you) trying to reorganize their offense.

Overall, the Pats define excellence in transition by CONSTANTLY being in transition.

Having said all that, we DID beat them twice in the biggest game the NFL has to offer
                  Ok, so then what goes wrong for them when they play us? What is it about the Giants that puts a sudden screech to all their greatness?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurah1275 View Post
                    Ok, so then what goes wrong for them when they play us? What is it about the Giants that puts a sudden screech to all their greatness?
                    We control TOP by running the ball and putting pressure on Tom Brady. Not just pressure, but actually getting to him and hitting him.

Comment

I'm glad you started with the Pats because I think they happen to be the best team in the NFL, year to year over the past decade.The absolute key to their success ... Bill Bellichick. They've been a revolving door for players (sans Brady) and coordinators (both OC and DC) and yet they always manage to remain on top of the pile. The last time they missed the playoffs, Brady was out the whole year and they STILL went 11-5 (can you imagine missing the playoffs with 11 wins?!).HOWEVER, the Pats haven't always been that fast paced dink and dunk team. In fact, when they were in the epitome of their dink-and-dunk offense (2001-2006) they were winning SBs (and not being favored in doing so) and since moving away from that they've whiffed twice (although their regular season record has tended to improve over that duration). The Pats made the move away from the dink-dunk-run to a more vertical game with Randy Moss in 2007 and have spent the last two seasons flailing a bit (still making the SB mind you) trying to reorganize their offense.Overall, the Pats define excellence in transition by CONSTANTLY being in transition. Having said all that, we DID beat them twice in the biggest game the NFL has to offer P.S. - I also happen to think Bellichick is the best HC to ever stand a side line in NFL history. Much man-love for this guy and I'm proud that he was part of the Giants organization.
                      Well said. I like how they utilize everyone on their offense. Ridley, the receivers and the tight ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                        We control TOP by running the ball and putting pressure on Tom Brady. Not just pressure, but actually getting to him and hitting him.
                        I don't follow the Patriots too much, so I'm not sure but, there must be other teams in the NFL that pressure and hit Brady as well, but the Patriots still come out the victor. What is so special about the Giants?

Comment

Well, I wouldn't consider it a "screech to their greatness". You're talking about recent history (3 out of 4 in the past 5 years) and 4 games in 5 years does little to ding a franchise ... except when two of those are the biggest game.

But to answer your question, the playoffs are played much tighter than regular season games (a few exceptions aside of course) and that tightness only grows more as you approach the Super Bowl. Evidenced by how both teams don't manage to reach their offensive averages during those games and conversely, how both of their defenses come alive (a lot less flags called in the playoffs and SB).

Looking a little more closely at each SB:

2007: We ran an aggressive blitz happy defense that ran some really off-scheme blitzes (for that period). Namely the Zone Dog blitz (dropping the DE into coverage and blitzing the Safety or LB) and the defensive Muddle Huddle (also called the Amoeba by Cris Collinsworthless). Our aggressive defense and one absolutely amazing offensive play was the difference in a close game.

2011: We ran a similar D to the Pats that year ... the bend-don't-break defense with a two deep shell, one under as a base look (our Safety Nickle vs. their Shell Nickle). Most teams tend to run a defense that can beat their offense (purposefully or accidentally) and in this case, the Giants defense was perfectly suited to the Patriots offense. Also the Patriots offense was much more constrained that year, having lost Randy Moss and not having a vertical threat to stretch the field made our defensive game plan much easier to execute. Finally, this Super Bowl came down two plays ... one amazing offensive play by us ... and one fairly routine pitch and catch that was missed by them.

It's not so much a mystery that we match up well against each other when you consider that TC and BB are close friends and have come up through the same organization in the NFL at the same time under the same guru HC (Parcells).

Comment

I don't follow the Patriots too much, so I'm not sure but, there must be other teams in the NFL that pressure and hit Brady as well, but the Patriots still come out the victor. What is so special about the Giants?
                            Well you look at their 4 losses. All of them are against (or were against at one point) the top defenses in the nfl. Seattle, San Fran, Baltimore and Arizona (despite their record).

Comment

As everyone has already said.....THE PATRIOTS......the Giants offense has the capability of being just as if not more potent and consistent......the Giants actually have better receivers, backs and Manning has shown he can be just as effective as Brady if given the opportunity. I just don't think their offensive personnel are being utilized correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X