Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is lack of leadership on defense the problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is lack of leadership on defense the problem?

I can't say that I ever remember the defense looking so glum and depressed on the sideline when Strahan was here. Does the lack of heart stem from not having a leader like Strahan on the defensive side of the ball? I know a lack of leadership isn't everything but I can't say I have ever seen a defense give up so easily when the tables are turned. What do you guys think?

Re: Is lack of leadership on defense the problem?

[quote user="WR4Life"]I can't say that I ever remember the defense looking so glum and depressed on the sideline when Strahan was here. Does the lack of heart stem from not having a leader like Strahan on the defensive side of the ball? I know a lack of leadership isn't everything but I can't say I have ever seen a defense give up so easily when the tables are turned. What do you guys think?[/quote]

I agree.

Comment

I agree there is something really wrong with this defense but what concerns me is these coaches have to see during practice that these guys do not know their assignments, I can't believe they know their plays in practice and forget them during a game. No, these coaches know damn well the players are not ready to play, if not they are in the wrong business..

Comment

Um nope - heres something scientific you can attribute it to rather then smells and colors.

Osi - out more then half the year
        T2 - out the whole year
        Goff - Out the whole year
        Witherspoon - out the year
        Coe - Out the year
        Phillips - missed one game
        Amakumura - Missed more then half the year including preseason
        Tuck - Missed 5 games has been nicked all year.
        Sintim - missed all year
        Johnson - missed all year
        Tryon - missed majority of year
        Boley - missed 3 games

But its probably leadership and not the 5/6 potential starters out and 6/7 backups too.

Comment

[quote user="dave56dj"]Um nope - heres something scientific you can attribute it to rather then smells and colors.

T2 - out the whole year
          Coe - Out the year
          Sintim - missed all year
          Boley - missed 3 games

But its probably leadership and not the 5/6 potential starters out and 6/7 backups too.[/quote]

GB had all those same injuries last year & they won it all. JR should have been more active bringing in replacement to replace the replacements... I guess.

How did GB replace all their replacements last year? The template was already in place for JR to follow what GB did last year but he failed is all I can think of.

Comment

it's a huge problem. maybe not all of it but definitely a big factor. guys like pierce strahan madison. I think lavar arrington if he never got hurt and mitchell if we resigned him could've been great leaders of the defense. we had a few in the past we need leaders for the present
            Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.

Comment

Im sorry GB had the same injuries - what are you talking about? Were they injured? Yes - was it to the same players - NOPE. Was mathews out almost at all last year - and how much time did woodson miss? What about Raji? Yes they were hurt and got through it - yes injuries happen but to believe what the GMEN are going through is normal is assinine. Perhaps the Packers are the exception NOT THE RULE. And perhaps just more talented - but yeah its probably leadership - ha. Cause we all know tuck and osi were not here in 2007 - oh wait.

Comment

[quote user="dave56dj"]Um nope - heres something scientific you can attribute it to rather then smells and colors.

T2 - out the whole year
                Coe - Out the year
                Sintim - missed all year
                Boley - missed 3 games

But its probably leadership and not the 5/6 potential starters out and 6/7 backups too.[/quote]

Nice try. Maybe if one of those players listed was a leader (Phillips is probably developing into being a team leader but right now he isn't), that list might mean something.

Phillips missed one game, and you're adding that to your "scientific facts"?

The smart argument along your lines is that leadership comes from continuity...and, save for Eli, there isn't a lot of continuity. This defense is like 11 players and not a team, or that's the way they seem to be playing.

We need another Harry Carson in the worst way right now.

Comment

Oh right - its not the fact that we have NO LINEBACKERS other then Boley with experience DUE TO INJURIES - or that we have no CB's DUE TO INJURY (7 on ir but thats exactly what GB HAD - not even close) and tuck cant be a leader, he only has a ring and he doesnt ever bash any other player - but he is hurt and the stats arent there so this must have to do with fire and grit - you must love david eckstein too - or perhaps you blamed eli's face for not leading the offense either - then 07 hit and im sure you changed your tune - sorry the leaders are in place - the players are not - and while we're at it grant is a helluva bigger presence then phillips when it comes to pure Leadership. But its probably about smells and colors.

Comment

[quote user="dave56dj"] its probably about smells and colors.[/quote]

No, it's more about not getting run up and down the field like a scout team. The personnel on the defensive unit don't really scare anyone. Well, apart from Giants fans.

Comment

Well, it certainly doesn't help but we had these season collapses and big game no-shows even when the team had leadership.

You don't remember the defense looking so glum and depressed when Strahan was here? Tons of times under Fassel and Reeves. Hell wasn't Strahan grabbing someone by the neck in a playoff meltdown to the Vikes? Even under Coughlin, think back to that 2005 pasting at home in the opening of the playoffs -- 23-0 Panthers. Or the year before when they lost 8 of their last 11.
                      8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Yes, there is a lack of leadership on the defense, there is no question about that. However, if anyone thinks the injuries aren't having an effect, your crazy. Not only have key starters been hurt, but also key backups have been hurt as well. The secondary has been decimated by injuries. Were starting a rookie and a guy who was sitting at home at linebacker. Aaron Ross is not a cornerback and Prince is not ready, obviously. Tuck is a shell of himself due to his injuries and Osi isn't even on the field.

Does anyone really think this hasn't had an effect on the defense? Really? There are guys playing out of position and guys who simply are not ready to be playing major roles that have been forced to do so. Why do you think Prince got pulled from the game Sunday?

Does anyone honestly think this defense would be this bad if these guys were on the field? Even half of them?

Comment

^ This kind of collapse has happened in 7 out of Coughlin's 8 years.

Is it injury ever year?

The players have changed since 2004 but the result is the same.

Dig deeper.
                          8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Lack of defense is the problem. We have like 2-3 guys giving their all and a bunch of bums around them.

Comment

All I know is THIS year, if anyone thinks all the injuries haven't had an effect on the poor play on that side of the ball, then you are naive. There is a depth chart for a reason. When not only the starters, but the backups at key positions get hurt and you have to bring in guys off the street and start rookies what do you expect?

Comment

Working...
                              X