eli needs to improve his strength/athleticism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eli needs to improve his strength/athleticism

obviously this isn't on the top of our list of problems but im kinda tired of hearing chris snee, eli, and other teammates openly joke about eli not being a good athlete. it's like it's okay for eli to get away with it just because he's won 2 SB's. but in my opinion if you're getting paid as much as he does, you can't just ignore that part of the game. im not suggesting that he becomes a michael vick but he can definitely be more mobile on rollouts and evading pressure. mobility is different from pocket presence. he has pretty good pocket presence but I don't see why he can't improve his mobility to be more like aaron rogers. he just looks skittish whenever he gets outside the pocket and would rather throw it up for grabs than take a sack.

This is a joke, right?

Comment

He needs to improve everything in the off-season...

Comment

Originally posted by Paradroid View Post
        This is a joke, right?
        why would I be joking about this? is an NFL qb really supposed to just say "yea, im not a natural athlete" and leave it at that? im not saying he's out of shape. I've never seen him gassed or anything like that. but to say he doesn't need improvement in that area is absurd.

Comment

lol, if you watch his college highlights he was much more athletic. Even Peyton looks more athletic right now. This entire team need more athleticism. That being said I don't see Eli's lack of athleticism as a major problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud57 View Post
            lol, if you watch his college highlights he was much more athletic. Even Peyton looks more athletic right now. This entire team need more athleticism. That being said I don't see Eli's lack of athleticism as a major problem.
            right, it's not a major problem. you're also right about peyton even being more athletic while older and coming back from a serious injury. tom brady was a horrible athlete coming outta Michigan (see 40 yard dash at combine). and while he's not very mobile either but gets by with sick pocket presence, you'll see him give it his all the few times he runs, and when he does QB sneaks. he goes all out for his team and gets them fired up.

it just seems like eli thinks "nah, im not that kinda quarterback, I dissect defenses and have good timing with my receivers, and that's what I do, etc etc."

I know eli likes to play the "even keeled, cool, calm, collected QB" card but man sometimes eli, you just gotta show a little emotion and get in the game. we know you want to win but how about you show it a little more sometimes. he had one run this season where he threw his right shoulder into a defender which riled up the team. again, im not saying do that all the time but just show some passion.
            Last edited by GiantsFan27; 12-25-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Hey if there was a way for Eli to improve his athleticism, I'd be all for it. Maybe while we're at it, Victor Cruz can learn how to fly. That'd be a sick advantage.

Comment

I see what you're saying, but Eli has done just fine being the way he is.
                In terms of rolling out to avoid pressure, how about drafting quality OL?
                Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Paradroid View Post
                  Hey if there was a way for Eli to improve his athleticism, I'd be all for it. Maybe while we're at it, Victor Cruz can learn how to fly. That'd be a sick advantage.
                  ha

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                    How about drafting quality offensive linemen so he won't have to worry about rolling out.
                    I mean yea, that'd be great too but why not improve both?

Comment

Originally posted by GiantsFan27 View Post
                      I mean yea, that'd be great too but why not improve both?
                      He's just not a physical specimen. Not all players are.
                      People say that Hakeem Nicks is flabby but he's a great physical receiver. Would it help his game? maybe, but it's not a necessity.
                      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                        He's just not a physical specimen. Not all players are.
                        People say that Hakeem Nicks is flabby but he's a great physical receiver. Would it help his game? maybe, but it's not a necessity.
                        I see your point. it's just that I see some plays that break down and eli gets rushed and tries to excape and if he was just a LITTLE bit faster, he'd evade the pressure which can lead to big plays since it's so hard for CB's to cover that long. to me, that seems like something that can be improved. genetics can only limit you so much, but when you have world-class trainers and strength/conditioning coaches there to guide you, I cant see why they cant get more out of eli in that department. that's all.

Comment

Could be genetics. Archie wasn't a solidly built QB either, though he was way more mobile & agile than Eli. IMO, Eli is just a klutzy guy.

He sure does look like he's running in slow motion when he does take off every blue moon.

Comment

I'd just prefer a blocking o line... It may just be easier...
                            Go Giants!!!

Comment

I think he just needs to settle down. His presence in the pocket, and believe me, I am aware with what he's working with, has really regressed from last year, specifically during the run.
                              My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Working...
                              X