Why Perry Fewell was signed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Perry Fewell was signed

He was signed as the DC because while with the Bills, their secondary was ranked 7th in the league. He was also known as a players coach. Fewell was NEVER knowns as a defensive guru or for creating complex schemes to beat great teams. He came from Buffalo for crying out loud!

Now, our secondary looks worse than ever and our defense is worse than we've been in a long time. Without a pass rush, something he has no real affect on and doesn't call plays to help, our secondary looks pathetic.

I can't think of an arguement to be made to keep him after this season.

So how is it his fault that two DE's and his starting CB got bad almost over night?

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
      So how is it his fault that two DE's and his starting CB got bad almost over night?
      Our secondary was bad last season too. Our pass rush (JPP) just got hot towards the end of the season. The writing was on the wall that our secondary has not improvements under Fewell. This defensive collapse is no surprise.

Comment

The secondary has been poor since hes been here.

Comment

Fewell had a longer resume than a linebacker coach named "Sprags". Sprags got a ton of credit being under the late Jim Johnson and coming to the Giants where they had some of the best defensive linemen I ever seen. Sprags was giving up 40 points a game until Strahan got back in game shape, benching Webster (because we had adequate depth), and having that one game that spark them (the redskins goalline stand). People act as if that 2007 defense was the 1985 Bears....Lol it wasnt even close. We began to play better as well when Kiwi got hurt as a Linebacker, and then Osi got hurt forcing Kiwi back to the defensive End in 2008. Sprags never had to rely on Kiwi playing cover while ever other coordinatoor had to worry about that. I bet its Fewell's first time playing with a 6'6 270lb Defensive End as Linebacker.
          " In Reese to Sign a Bust"

Comment

I remember reading an article when he was hire about how he plays a style of defense that creates turnovers. We have had more interceptions these past few years with Fewell than we did in the prior years. Still, I would like a new defensive coord. If there is any way we could get Spags, I would be all for it

Comment

So is that him or the players?

Comment

Originally posted by Tmurda1984 View Post
                Fewell had a longer resume than a linebacker coach named "Sprags". Sprags got a ton of credit being under the late Jim Johnson and coming to the Giants where they had some of the best defensive linemen I ever seen. Sprags was giving up 40 points a game until Strahan got back in game shape, benching Webster (because we had adequate depth), and having that one game that spark them (the redskins goalline stand). People act as if that 2007 defense was the 1985 Bears....Lol it wasnt even close. We began to play better as well when Kiwi got hurt as a Linebacker, and then Osi got hurt forcing Kiwi back to the defensive End in 2008. Sprags never had to rely on Kiwi playing cover while ever other coordinatoor had to worry about that. I bet its Fewell's first time playing with a 6'6 270lb Defensive End as Linebacker.
                Any reason why you call him Sprags? Yes he did. Kiwi hasnt been playing much linebacker since Rivers and Williams is back and the defense is just as terrible. Fewell likes running nickle anyway so Kiwi isnt in coverage as much as he was under Spags. End of 07 and 08, we had a dominate defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmurda1984 View Post
                  "Spags" (not Sprags) worked for years under Jim Johnson, one of the most respected DCs in the game. He picked up all of his blitz schemes and was able to utilize the Giants mediocre LBs more effectively than they had been used since Jessie Armstead. Don't forget a guy named Kawika Mitchell was nothing more than a utility LB who had a career year with Spags and get a huge paycheck from another team where he never produced agin. He was able to confuse QBs. He also played his team to their strengths, a la Webster in press instead of zone. His motto was not "read and react" but to "attack" and force the offense to adjust to him.

If you want to compare Spags and Fewell, let me as you:

What great DC did Fewell learn from? Spags = Jim Johnson

What position has Fewell's schemes improved their play? Spags = Linebackers

In fact, if you want to compare secondary talent, Spags didn't have near the talent at safety Fewell has. Last year Webster played well and still our secondary was crap. In fact, Spags had Webster and Ross and no talent at safety.

There is no comparison between the two coaches IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by VBGiantsFan View Post
                    Our secondary was bad last season too. Our pass rush (JPP) just got hot towards the end of the season. The writing was on the wall that our secondary has not improvements under Fewell. This defensive collapse is no surprise.
                    Its funny how winning the SB last season have people forgetting how horrible our defense was for much of last year. I think our defense and special was just as bad in 2010 when the packers won the SB. 2010 and 2012 finished exactly the same way with pretty much the same core players and coaches.
                    Lets go, Giants!

Comment

Originally posted by VBGiantsFan View Post
                      "Spags" (not Sprags) worked for years under Jim Johnson, one of the most respected DCs in the game. He picked up all of his blitz schemes and was able to utilize the Giants mediocre LBs more effectively than they had been used since Jessie Armstead. Don't forget a guy named Kawika Mitchell was nothing more than a utility LB who had a career year with Spags and get a huge paycheck from another team where he never produced agin. He was able to confuse QBs. He also played his team to their strengths, a la Webster in press instead of zone. His motto was not "read and react" but to "attack" and force the offense to adjust to him.

If you want to compare Spags and Fewell, let me as you:

What great DC did Fewell learn from? Spags = Jim Johnson

What position has Fewell's schemes improved their play? Spags = Linebackers

In fact, if you want to compare secondary talent, Spags didn't have near the talent at safety Fewell has. Last year Webster played well and still our secondary was crap. In fact, Spags had Webster and Ross and no talent at safety.

There is no comparison between the two coaches IMO.

+1

ps.

Slayeeeed! hahahah "sprags" what??!

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

He was TCs secondary coach in Jacksonville....must have licked him the right way

Comment

Are you joking Webster got beat like he stole something aginst Ogletree in week 1. Hes our defensive coordinator he knew Webster was off amd did nothing to hide his horrible play but leave him single coverage all season. Fewell is pretty much donw here in NY and if hes not dont expect better results next year.

Comment

Spags would be great. Isnt Romeo a defensive guy too? I dont see TC dumping Fewell though. Maybe Fewell will get a few head coaching opportunities, and leave!

Comment

Bring in Spags as a pre-cursor to making him HC.
                              No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Working...
                              X