Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do the Giants still have salary cap issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do the Giants still have salary cap issues?

I was reading the thread of signing Mario Williams, but the consensus he we cannot afford him. How does this team still have salary cap issues? The only FA we signed was Baas.

Is it all in Canty and Bernard's contracts?

Is it Eli's? (he deserves it though)

What is holding us back?

Re: Why do the Giants still have salary cap issues?

[quote user="VBGiantsFan"]I was reading the thread of signing Mario Williams, but the consensus he we cannot afford him. How does this team still have salary cap issues? The only FA we signed was Baas. Is it all in Canty and Bernard's contracts? Is it Eli's? (he deserves it though) What is holding us back?[/quote]

It's mainly because ofEli, Baas, Diehl, Snee,K-Mac, Webster, Rolle, Canty andTuck.

Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

[quote user="repeatchamps"]

[quote user="VBGiantsFan"]I was reading the thread of signing Mario Williams, but the consensus he we cannot afford him. How does this team still have salary cap issues? The only FA we signed was Baas. Is it all in Canty and Bernard's contracts? Is it Eli's? (he deserves it though) What is holding us back?[/quote]

It's mainly because of*Eli, Baas, Diehl, Snee,*K-Mac, Webster, Rolle, Canty and*Tuck.

[/quote]

Hopefully Diehl, Rolle, and Baas will be cut next year.

Sign Mario Williams!

Comment

[quote user="VBGiantsFan"][quote user="repeatchamps"]

It's mainly because ofEli, Baas, Diehl, Snee,K-Mac, Webster, Rolle, Canty andTuck.

[/quote] Hopefully Diehl, Rolle, and Baas will be cut next year. Sign Mario Williams![/quote]

No way will Rolle be cut unless a new staff comes in and hates his guts. K-Mac comes off the books next year but another RT will have to replace him and doubtful no matter who the coach is that they'd go with a rookie or vet minimum guy to replace him. Doubtful Canty goes anywhere either no matter who the coach is. Tuckalso will be goingnowhere. Terell Thomas and Jon Goff are free agents next year as is Manningham. They will not be able to afford Mario Williamseven unfranchised.

Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

ANSWER: Jerry Reese.

Comment

It's mainly because of*Eli, Baas, Diehl, Snee,*K-Mac, Webster, Rolle, Canty and*Tuck.

[/quote]

Sign Mario Williams![/quote]

Rolle's not a huge cap hit, I think he's about $3.5 million against the cap.

Probably not worth cutting since any other mediocre DB would probably cost about the same.

Comment

[quote user="JMFP2"]ANSWER: Jerry Reese.[/quote]
              lmao....It's true. It's damn true
              sigpic

Comment

[quote user="sharick88"][quote user="JMFP2"]ANSWER: Jerry Reese.[/quote]
                lmao....It's true. It's damn true[/quote]

It is true.

I love how some people tell me "this isn't Madden".....that's very true as well.

In Madden, you don't have to worry about stupid money (Canty, Bernard, Rolle, Baas) coming back to bite you in the ***.

Comment

Because Reese is not a GM. He's a scouting/draft guy. That is exactly why

Comment

[quote user="VBGiantsFan"]I was reading the thread of signing Mario Williams, but the consensus he we cannot afford him. How does this team still have salary cap issues? The only FA we signed was Baas.

Is it all in Canty and Bernard's contracts?

Is it Eli's? (he deserves it though)

What is holding us back?[/quote]

These are the top 10 cap hits from http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/cap-hit/

Player Pos. Base Salary Signing Bonus Other Bonus Cap Figure
                    Eli Manning QB 8,500,000 1,857,142 2,583,333 12,940,475
                    Corey Webster CB 5,000,000 3,000,000 250,000 8,250,000
                    Brandon Jacobs RB 2,900,000 1,962,500 2,100,000 6,962,500
                    Chris Canty DE 5,250,000 1,416,667 250,000 6,916,667
                    Justin Tuck DE 3,450,000 1,800,000 1,000,000 6,250,000
                    Kareem McKenzie T 4,300,000 1,785,714 - 6,085,714
                    Chris Snee G 2,950,000 2,250,000 333,333 5,533,333
                    Michael Boley LB 3,500,000 1,400,000 250,000 5,150,000
                    David Diehl T 4,000,000 - - 4,000,000
                    Osi Umenyiora DE 3,125,000 642,857 - 3,767,857

Comment

Corey Webster's salary cannot possibly stay that high these next few years. He must have had a front loaded contract. I expect that to come down significantly.

Jacobs, Diehl, and probably Osi will come off the books.

I wonder what else we could free up to get mario Williams.

Comment

It's because the giants have more players on their second or third contract than a lot of teams. Look at the OL and DL for instance.

Compare the contract of JPP as a rookie deal vs. what he will get on his second contract and that's your explanation.

Contrast the giants depth and contracts vs. a team like the eagles. Who have nearly all their depth coming from mid round draft picks who make like 300k a year.

Comment

Like I was saying in the other thread we should definitely go after Williams if he's taking offers.

Here's my plan.
                          - cut: Bernard, Diehl, MacKenzie (FA?), and Jacobs
                          - trade: Osi and Tuck for two 1st's and a 2nd.
                          - trade: our two 2nd rounders for another (3) first round pick
                          - sign Mario Williams
                          - Draft: use our 3 first round picks to draft Luke Kuechly, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Trent Richardson

We would win the superbowl within 2-3 guaranteed.

Comment

[quote user="JMFP2"][quote user="sharick88"][quote user="JMFP2"]ANSWER: Jerry Reese.[/quote]
                            lmao....It's true. It's damn true[/quote]

It is true.

I love how some people tell me "this isn't Madden".....that's very true as well.

In Madden, you don't have to worry about stupid money (Canty, Bernard, Rolle, Baas) coming back to bite you in the ***.[/quote]

I've actually wound up in cap hell in Madden before.
                            My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Comment

[/quote]

Sign Mario Williams![/quote]

K-Mc sucks too. Snee is ok, but I would restructure his contract. His play hasn't been stellar.
                              Lets go, Giants!

Comment

Working...
                              X