I really hope JR takes care of Nicks and Cruz this offseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really hope JR takes care of Nicks and Cruz this offseason

This duo is LETHAL. Cruz shouldered most of the load this year by himself, and I think he did enough to suggest he can be a #1 receiver in this league. Nicks, top 10 receiver when healthy. Unfortunately, he misses a couple games every year. I don't think that's enough to not resign this guy. If anything, now is the time to extend that contract, after his first poor year as a Giant.
    My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

The only problem is how much do you give Nicks? When healthy he s great. He problem is he has yet to last an entire season without missing some games and he will only get older and and heal slower as injuries mount up.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
      The only problem is how much do you give Nicks? When healthy he s great. He problem is he has yet to last an entire season without missing some games and he will only get older and and heal slower as injuries mount up.
      4-6 million per year would be a steal.

Comment

How much for Cruz?

Comment

How much for Cruz?
          Don't know if I personally would do a long-term deal with Cruz just yet. I was pleasantly surprised with how Cruz responded to the added weight this year (despite the recent slump), but I wouldn't mind giving him a two year deal at a moderate salary. If I recall, we can slap him with a restricted tag for the next two years, but that's disrespectful to a very classy Giant. 5 mil per year over 2-3 years is much more reasonable than tagging him. Cruz really doesn't have much leverage, though.

Comment

The only thing that sucks about this whole predicament is that NY really isn't in position (cap or success wise) to just start handing out bonuses.

Comment

Who can they cut without hurting their cap number this year? They may need to take a step back this year to rebuild.

Comment

i am probably one of the few giant fans who isnt a huge fan of nicks. The way i feel about nicks at the moment is the same way i felt about steve smith when he was here. he is good, but he is a bit overrated. If we can keep him cool. if we cant, it wouldnt really bother me to see him go. Cruz is the real deal.
                Last edited by Marvelousmik; 12-27-2012, 12:19 AM.
                Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Comment

Who can they cut without hurting their cap number this year? They may need to take a step back this year to rebuild.
                  They don't necessarily have to take a step back. If they cut someone, it's because they are no good. Cutting guys like Boley really isn't "taking a step back", especially if we can draft effectively to replace those guys. Webster, Tuck, Diehl etc. same story. I mean you're not gonna save much off the cap, but nonetheless, you do save some. But that's really if the Giants actually do feel they are done.

Cutting Rolle or Canty on the other hand, that's taking a step back. Rolle's absence would resonate not only on the field -- but in the locker room.

It's gonna come down to making savvy, under-the-radar, moves in free agency, and having a solid draft with at least a couple picks that are able to start day one. Offensively, we have talented players.

Eli: Franchise QB. That's critical, because our margin for error is that much higher.

Cruz/Nicks/Randle/Hixon/Jernigan: That's a lot of proven talent, with a lot of upside as well.

Wilson: He'll be in his second year, so we should see him get more than a carry a game. He's definitely trending upwards.

OL: Okay, area of need. Needs addressing for sure.

Defensively, we are somewhat in the same boat.

DL: JPP is a blue-chip player. He is the cornerstone of our defense, and the type of talent you build a defense around. Canty/Joseph are a very solid tandem, but they NEED depth at the position, because Austin is a bust.

LBers: Williams regressed, but he's still a promising player. This group needs addressing though, because Boley is probably a goner, and Blackburn is really just a stop gap/depth player.

Secondary: KP is a guy who should be brought back with a low risk deal, Rolle is a solid safety and an emotional leader, Stevie looks like a keeper. Amukamara and Hosley are promising players as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvelousmik View Post
                    i am probably one of the few giant fans who isnt a huge fan of nicks. The way i feel about nicks at the moment is the same way i felt about steve smith when he was here. he is good, but he is a bit overrated. If we can keep him cool. if we cant, it wouldnt really bother me to see him go. Cruz is the real deal.
                    I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. I'm a huge Nicks fan. From when he was young, he was just such a savvy player. His route running was excellent, disguised his routes well, and always possessed veteran moves (Bears game on MNF in 2010 really caught my attention).

Only problem I've had with Nicks is that his over-the-shoulder skills really don't impress me. I just feel like he drops a lot of passes when he tries to go over the shoulder.

Anyway, I think if he came at a reasonable price, he'd be one helluva steal for us, just like he was at the end of the first round.

Comment

Love Nicks, but the Giants are going to discount their offering price because of the fact that he can't stay healthy . . . . he'll get full price from another team eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                        I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. I'm a huge Nicks fan. From when he was young, he was just such a savvy player. His route running was excellent, disguised his routes well, and always possessed veteran moves (Bears game on MNF in 2010 really caught my attention).

Only problem I've had with Nicks is that his over-the-shoulder skills really don't impress me. I just feel like he drops a lot of passes when he tries to go over the shoulder.

Anyway, I think if he came at a reasonable price, he'd be one helluva steal for us, just like he was at the end of the first round.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&conference=null&season=2012&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

If you take a look at the link above and look through the list, you will see 15 recievers with 1000+ yards on the season, and with 1 more game left you will probably see 5-7 more guys reach 1000+ yards. That does not include how many games some of them may have missed. And most of those guys dont have a top 5 qb throwing them the football.

You also see a pattern. the Majority of the receivers in this league who average 1000 yards a season are guys who have good qbs (top 10) throwing them the football. There are a few exceptions who still put up good numbers regardless and they are the ones that stand out the most to me.

basically my point is, right now with the way the NFL is turning into a passing league with all the new rules which protect the receivers, recevers are starting to become a dime a dozen. As long as you have a good Qb, you will have receivers who produce. This is one of the reasons why i am not buying into the fact the packers truly have all these weapons. I honestly think for the exception of greg jennings ( who is having a down year) those guys are pretty average.

I watch a lot of football and i watch a lot of different teams play. I honestly dont think nicks is that great. he is good dont get me wrong. when healthy i agree he is a top 10 guy. But he is 100% replaceable and i dont think we would have to look hard in the draft to find another young talented guy who would put up similar numbers.

Just keeping it real.
                        Last edited by Marvelousmik; 12-27-2012, 01:00 AM.
                        Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Comment

Originally posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
                          Love Nicks, but the Giants are going to discount their offering price because of the fact that he can't stay healthy . . . . he'll get full price from another team eventually.
                          That's a definite possibility, but I think there's a good chance that the Giants give him his best offer just because we know exactly what we have in Nicks, and what he means to our system.

Other teams might have a problem looking past his extensive injury history, and the fact that he's never put up really dominant numbers. He's never gone over 1200 yards, he isn't exactly a burner, he's had his share of drops, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvelousmik View Post
                            I watch a lot of football and i watch a lot of different teams play. I honestly dont think nicks is that great. he is good dont get me wrong. when healthy i agree he is a top 10 guy. But he is 100% replaceable and i dont think we would have to look hard in the draft to find another young talented guy who would put up similar numbers.
                            I wouldn't chalk it all up to numbers though, regardless of how convincing they can be. Look no further than the inconsistency of our offense this year, and how it pertains to Nicks. Nicks, not healthy and/or effective all year really shot this team in the foot. The back shoulder throw, that accounted for so many first downs, wasn't there. The deep crossing patterns weren't there with consistency. The redzone fades that weren't effective resulted in Tynes' leg nearly falling off. The inability for him to consistently beat man coverage has magnified our issues on the OL. Nicks means much more to our team than he does elsewhere, and while he is replaceable (who isn't?), it certainly won't be done without some suffering.

We are a far better offense with Hakeem Nicks, and I don't know about you, but I don't feel like drafting a high-upside WR early just to see Hixon play the whole time because [insert rookie's name] zig when he should have zagged.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                              This duo is LETHAL. Cruz shouldered most of the load this year by himself, and I think he did enough to suggest he can be a #1 receiver in this league. Nicks, top 10 receiver when healthy. Unfortunately, he misses a couple games every year. I don't think that's enough to not resign this guy. If anything, now is the time to extend that contract, after his first poor year as a Giant.
                              i agree. I think tthis offseason will be our best chance at getting them at a team friendly fair price bc of nicks injured year.

Comment

Working...
                              X