Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants Going From Repeat To Rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Giants Going From Repeat To Rebuild


    http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/29/...at-to-rebuild/

    Excerpt: "Just months ago, there were words uttered around the New YorkFootballGiants that included: champions, dynasty and repeat. Down the line, verses comparable to the 2007 “Resiliency” mantra came about. Neither seems to be on the cusp of fruition. Instead, disappointment is thick in the air. Blame is being shifted. Heads are being called for. Some very un-Giants-like things are happening.

    The dramatic end of the spectrum speaks of cleaning house again. The rose-colored glasses-wearing folks still hold out endless hope. The realistic middle knows that change needs to happen in order for the team to move forward seriously. Head coach Tom Coughlin hasn’t embarked upon change just yet and is still on his “one game at a time” spiel.

    "My concern is that our team plays well in the 16th game of the year for us," Coughlin said. "I would like to see our team play an outstanding football game, a game in which the execution of our team is significantly better than what we've seen over the last couple of weeks. That's what I talked to our team about this morning – was pride, honor, dignity, playing the game the way we're capable of playing the game. … What I'm looking for is improvement in our football team and how we execute offensively and defensively. Finish the season with a game we can all be proud of." Read more...

    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    "pride, honor, dignity" Haven't seen those displayed on the field in weeks.

    Giants fan since the early 80s

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't like the word" rebuild." When you do that, you almost assure you're going to be out of contention
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

      Comment


      • #4
        Since Free Agency was started, I dont believe teams really "rebuild" anymore, especially nowadays. I've always hated the term myself. The Giants just need a few changes at key positions. Its not as if they're the Raiders, who are in serious trouble from top to bottom.
        The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

        Comment


        • #5
          I think "retool" is a better word than "rebuild". The construction time can be as short as an off-season these days.

          Comment


          • #6
            The only thing that needs "rebuilding" is our O-line. One good draft can take care of that.

            As for other trouble areas: D-line can be fixed by letting Tracy and Ojomo get their turn in the fray, if only as rotational players. The rest is cutting out the washed out cruft: Tuck, Osi, Webster, Diehl...

            I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post
              Since Free Agency was started, I dont believe teams really "rebuild" anymore, especially nowadays. I've always hated the term myself. The Giants just need a few changes at key positions. Its not as if they're the Raiders, who are in serious trouble from top to bottom.
              I sure hope O-Line (right side) is a priority for Reese. I think Tracy and Ojomo should get a shot at replacing Tuck and Osi. I am concerned about the secondary. Can Amukamara play an entire season? Webster has really struggled. I like Hosley but he's been injured far too much.
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

              Comment


              • #8
                when you have to make a point about a team playing for "pride", etc. then you know the season has gone terribly wrong. YOu never hear a coahc of team with a good record say.."the next game we have to play for pride". Only teams that have underachieved "play for pride"....

                Giants shouldn't have had this issue but they did.
                "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                  when you have to make a point about a team playing for "pride", etc. then you know the season has gone terribly wrong. YOu never hear a coahc of team with a good record say.."the next game we have to play for pride". Only teams that have underachieved "play for pride"....

                  Giants shouldn't have had this issue but they did.
                  The reality is that they're playing for a potential playoff spot - that should provide enough motivation on its own.

                  This team is pathetic.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                    The reality is that they're playing for a potential playoff spot - that should provide enough motivation on its own.

                    This team is pathetic.
                    The door to the post-season is not completely closed yet. I prefer to wait and see what this weekend holds before I worry about next year. The beauty of sports is that the improbable happens and while there's a glimmer of hope, anything can happen. This team has three faces: the first half of the season competitors, the November\December Chokers, and the streakers who put together two Super Bowl runs. The door is still open to the Streakers, let's see what happens.

                    Barring a coaching change, the nature of this team will NOT change, we'll see the same second half fade next year. With a coaching change we could have a team that's real good, or real bad for a while. Those decisions can be made once the door to this season is officially closed. I just want to see them beat the Eagles, and let the cards fall where they may.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
                      The door to the post-season is not completely closed yet. I prefer to wait and see what this weekend holds before I worry about next year. The beauty of sports is that the improbable happens and while there's a glimmer of hope, anything can happen. This team has three faces: the first half of the season competitors, the November\December Chokers, and the streakers who put together two Super Bowl runs. The door is still open to the Streakers, let's see what happens.

                      Barring a coaching change, the nature of this team will NOT change, we'll see the same second half fade next year. With a coaching change we could have a team that's real good, or real bad for a while. Those decisions can be made once the door to this season is officially closed. I just want to see them beat the Eagles, and let the cards fall where they may.
                      well said ma man. the only caveat id add is that right now, i could make the argument we're a bad team and have been for a while. Im not saying i subscribe to that theory, im just saying the argument can be made and not sound idiotic. the 2nd half of the season has been epicly bad, for some time now...if we could just eliminate that issue, we'd be the NE Pats of the NFC...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                        The reality is that they're playing for a potential playoff spot - that should provide enough motivation on its own.

                        This team is pathetic.
                        the last two games they 0 energy.....
                        it is pathetic
                        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post
                          Since Free Agency was started, I dont believe teams really "rebuild" anymore, especially nowadays. I've always hated the term myself. The Giants just need a few changes at key positions. Its not as if they're the Raiders, who are in serious trouble from top to bottom.
                          Agreed. Was listening to Sirius yesterday morning and they where saying how you can rebuild a decent OL through FA without big contracts. If they can do that, because OL should be their first concern, they can draft some other needs. If they can get the offense back on track that will significantly upgrade their defense. Add some younger draft picks and some gems they like to find as UDFA's and they could be back in the playoffs next season. Remember, as bad as they have looked at times, they have 3 losses this season that could have been wins. So they are not that far off.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                            The reality is that they're playing for a potential playoff spot - that should provide enough motivation on its own.

                            This team is pathetic.
                            Thats what has me nervous, and somewhat deflated. They knew they had their own playoff destiny in their hands for the past 2 games, and they turned in 2 of the worst performances of the entire season in both of them. There IS no motivation, and it makes zero sense. I'd love for them to go out on a high note and beat the snot out of the Eagles tomorrow, but I'm just not seeing it, especially with Prince and Hosely doubtful, and Webster and Tryon starting. That alone is enough to convince me that there is little chance of a win.
                            The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
                              they have 3 losses this season that could have been wins. So they are not that far off.
                              This is not really an argument. You could say that about a lot of teams. You can also find games they could have lost. The latter is especially true of last year's team.

                              I am not sure what to think at this point. A couple of games back I would agree completely that the team was competitive in practically every game this season and "not that far off". But the last couple of weeks have made me wonder.......Maybe it is too many veterans that are too worn out at the end of the season but that is quite a few folks to replace. Do we have the replacements on the bench? Cause it's hard to get them in the draft when you draft as late as we do and our salary cap doesn't leave much room to negotiate for FAs. I guess the good side is older players usually free up a lot of salary cap space when you let them go.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X