Coughlin Says Fewell & Gilbride Stay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coughlin Says Fewell & Gilbride Stay

In his exit interview just now, Coughlin confirmed that Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell will stay when asked if he would. This is not surprising at all, but those of you calling for his head can finally move on.

EDIT: Gilbride will stay too. Coughlin confirms no coaching staff changes.

EDIT2: Coughlin also confirms that he is staying and will not retire, just in case anyone had any underlying hopes.

http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/31/...nges-for-2013/
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM.

Did he say the same for KG?

Comment

There will be no coaching changes.

Comment

Originally posted by M00KIE View Post
        Did he say the same for KG?
        No one asked about Gilbride (yet), but I'm sure he will be.

Comment

I fully expect us to keep Gilbride too, and fully expect a 6-2, 5-3 start next year followed by a collapse because these coordinators suck at adjusting to the game. This team will continue to be slightly above mediocre.
          WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Repeat of 2012 next year.

Comment

The defensive problems were not entirely Fewells fault. Injuries, players underperforming.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Comment

Coughlin just said Gilbride will stay too. There will be no coaching staff changes.

Comment

Originally posted by ny06 View Post
                  The defensive problems were not entirely Fewells fault. Injuries, players underperforming.
                  Only knock on Fewell is that he didn't pull Tuck and Osi when they decided to not show up to play. Other than that he's been gimped by injuries in his defense all year.

Killdrive staying is more unsettling, but not unexpected...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

well we still have JR and the owners to overrule him hopefully

Comment

I don't expect KG to go anywhere, but I was kind of hoping they would at least look a new DC. I find it surprising that Coughlin said he has no idea what the problems were this year and that he would be talking to players to figure it out, then immediately dismisses making any coaching changes without doing the due diligence. Seems to me that he is limiting his options and steering the results of his "fact finding" in a specific direction rather than keeping an open mind and getting to the root cause of the perennial collapse.
                      My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                        well we still have JR and the owners to overrule him hopefully
                        This isn't the Jets. There will be no mutiny around here. JR, Mara, & Tisch have full trust in Coughlin and aren't going to go around vetoing his decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Overdrive92 View Post
                          In his exit interview just now, he confirmed that DC Perry Fewell will stay when asked if he would. This is not surprising at all, but those of you calling for his head can finally move on.

EDIT: Gilbride will stay too. Coughlin confirms no coaching staff changes.
                          Well, some of us knew that the 3 stooges show will continue. Just hope that the Eagles do not hire Chip Kelly. If they do, you will see how he will make the 3 stooges look like pee-wee coaches. He is one of the most imaginative and innovative offensive play callers. I will we could have had him as an OC, but he will be a HC in the NFL or he will stay put.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                            Only knock on Fewell is that he didn't pull Tuck and Osi when they decided to not show up to play. Other than that he's been gimped by injuries in his defense all year.

Killdrive staying is more unsettling, but not unexpected...
                            The defense wasn't exactly lights out last year either... until they changed the approach late in the season. They inexplicably went back to the "read and react" soft coverage that gave up massive yards last year... even though it was clearly not playing to the strengths of the personnel.
                            My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

Coughlin confirms he's staying too and will not retire...

...Just in case any of you had some underlying hopes for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X