Riddle me this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddle me this?

Throughout this season, and right up until the last post game coach presser & lockeroon interviews, we've heard that no one has a clue as to why things went south when they did, and no explanation why we shone bright when we did. Nothing was done differently.Nothing was evident in practice that would indicate anything but a good result on game day, and yet we had some record stinkers.

So, my question, is, if we have NO IDEA, and CAN'T EXPLAIN what went wrong...how can we risk that happening again next season? Why would we not consider coaching changes..if it falls squarely on coaches to get answers? If practices are good, players are energetic, and excited to play....then
    what are we missing? And why can't we identify what the problem is?

I guess what I'm concerened about is this phenomonon of the 2nd half season slide, and UP & DOWN performances, with no explinations becoming 'accepted as the new "norm' for this team. Shrugging the shoulders , shaking the head, and the now famous "well it is what it is" becoming standard protocol.

I don't want to see any one fired...for no reason of course, but I also don't want to see this continued into next year either ! Shouldn't somebody be held accountable for what we saw this year? Weeding out of some players, won't explain a team breakdown, which is what it was.

Anyways, I'm rambling and will no doubt be brutalized by some of you for my comments as always..but..before jumping all over me..can you at least offer me some logic as to why we go blindly in another potential mediocre season?

By the way..had my first visit to Met Life stadium...absolutely stellar time!!! Happy New Year All!
    Last edited by Razur; 12-31-2012, 07:21 PM.

thats the basic thing....I agree.
    How do you fix something that you dont know what or how its broken.....????
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by Razur View Post
      Throughout this season, and right up until the last post game coach presser & lockeroon interviews, we've heard that no one has a clue as to why things went south when they did, and no explanation why we shone bright when we did. Nothing was done differently.Nothing was evident in practice that would indicate anything but a good result on game day, and yet we had some record stinkers.

So, my question, is, if we have NO IDEA, and CAN'T EXPLAIN what went wrong...how can we risk that happening again next season? Why would we not consider coaching changes..if it falls squarely on coaches to get answers? If practices are good, players are energetic, and excited to play....then

I guess what I'm concerened about is this phenomonon of the 2nd half season slide, and UP & DOWN performances, with no explinations becoming 'accepted as the new "norm' for this team. Shrugging the shoulders , shaking the head, and the now famous "well it is what it is" becoming standard protocol.

I don't want to see any one fired...for no reason of course, but I also don't want to see this continued into next year either ! Shouldn't somebody be held accountable for what we saw this year? Weeding out of some players, won't explain a team breakdown, which is what it was.

Anyways, I'm rambling and will no doubt be brutalized by some of you for my comments as always..but..before jumping all over me..can you at least offer me some logic as to why we go blindly in another potential mediocre season?

By the way..had my first visit to Met Life stadium...absolutely stellar time!!! Happy New Year All!

That was such a great gift from your daughter
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Happy New Year to you.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
          That was such a great gift from your daughter
          Ro...on so many levels that was ! Showed me she knew how much the Giants meant to me!!..and...even better, to US as father & daughter! She was right there in it with me and the band of screaming nutcases called fans!!! It was the highlight to my year ! And the fact that we won BIG, was the cherry on the sundae !!!

Comment

we dont have a fix because we dont know why, therefore why it happens like clock work nearly every season. no coaching changes so , happy groundhogs day

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
              we dont have a fix because we dont know why, therefore why it happens like clock work nearly every season. no coaching changes so , happy groundhogs day
              Sigh...It is what it is ! ...Until we can call IT something else!

Comment

Managing people is never easy and there are as many "problems" as there are people. Knowing what motivates people AFTER you have taken care of their creature comforts can be elusive. In the NFL, no player is lacking for money or a benefits package. They "work" about six months. Some have lucrative commercial endorsements that far exceed their salaries.

So figuring out what motivates them "individually" AFTER ALL OF THAT can be hard to grasp. I believe one key is finding the right players to serve as your motivator(s). A guy like Ray Lewis comes to mind. We have Captains who are not overtly demonstrative and I don't necessarily see them as "motivators."

Then there are incidents where one player motivates his team. When RG III had his leg bent awkwardly in the Ravens' game and was hobbling around and had to be helped to the huddle by a teammate before he was replaced by Cousins. I am convinced that "act of heroism" was at least partially responsible for them winning that specific game.

I remember the days when LT played for us and Phil McConkey was one of the wide receivers. He would stand on the bench waving a white towel to get the crowd involved in making noise. We don't see a lot of that here,

Motivation is hard to quantify for groups of people. They will evaluate everyting they did, every player they have and every coaching decision made to try to find the answer(s). I'm not sure how successful they will be. We'll know next season.
                Last edited by RoanokeFan; 12-31-2012, 08:04 PM.
                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Ro...on so many levels that was ! Showed me she knew how much the Giants meant to me!!..and...even better, to US as father & daughter! She was right there in it with me and the band of screaming nutcases called fans!!! It was the highlight to my year ! And the fact that we won BIG, was the cherry on the sundae !!!
                  I'm glad I was able to share in your experience as one of the nutcases
                  Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-01-2013, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Sigh...It is what it is ! ...Until we can call IT something else!
                    even SB years we had that funk slide and they sort of had a second wind going into the playoffs

Comment

I'm glad I was able to share it your experience as one of the nutcases
                      hahaha...I should have learned sign language...I have NO voice ...wife thinks its great...I still can shoot the old eyebrows up down and sideways to make my point..but she has to be looking at me!..

Comment

hahaha...I should have learned sign language...I have NO voice ...wife thinks its great...I still can shoot the old eyebrows up down and sideways to make my point..but she has to be looking at me!..
                        LMAO me too

Comment

If this was a one or two year phenomina I might not think it was coaching based; but this has been consistent over the entire Coughlin era. His teams, regardless of personnel have choked in the second half. The problem that I see is that at a point, after listening to Coughlin for 10-12 weeks, the players just get sick of it and tune him out. Coughlin has no influence on his own teams after the midway point of the season. They reach a point where they need some external stimulous to get focused to play. In 2007 it was the army vet speaking to them before every game. The guy inspired the players, and they responded. Last year the All In theme caught their attention and they responded; but I think that was more player led than Coughlin led. This year we saw the kid come in and tell them to play like the champions they are, and they slaughtered Green Bay. The Sandy Hook kids were in the stadium Sunday, and they played like crazy for them; but they don't play for Coughlin late in the year. When Coughlin says he has no clue why his players do what they do, he's telling the truth, and there my friends is the heart of the problem.

Comment

Well said. I think in the Giants locker room, the collapses are viewed strictly in a coincidental sense, because I'm sure that the Giants don't change anything from October to November, to December, so on, and so forth.

Where the problem probably lies is in the player's mentality. Starting off 6-2, and then buying into themselves far too much, or getting complacent. I know in most locker rooms, the season is viewed in quarters, so after two strong quarters complacency might start to creep in.
                            My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Managing people is never easy and there are as many "problems" as there are people. Knowing what motivates people AFTER you have taken care of their creature comforts can be elusive. In the NFL, no player is lacking for money or a benefits package. They "work" about six months. Some have lucrative commercial endorsements that far exceed their salaries.

So figuring out what motivates them "individually" AFTER ALL OF THAT can be hard to grasp. I believe one key is finding the right players to serve as your motivator(s). A guy like Ray Lewis comes to mind. We have Captains who are not overtly demonstrative and I don't necessarily see them as "motivators."

Then there are incidents where one player motivates his team. When RG III had his leg bent awkwardly in the Ravens' game and was hobbling around and had to be helped to the huddle by a teammate before he was replaced by Cousins. I am convinced that "act of heroism" was at least partially responsible for them winning that specific game.

I remember the days when LT played for us and Phil McConkey was one of the wide receivers. He would stand on the bench waving a white towel to get the crowd involved in making noise. We don't see a lot of that here,

Motivation is hard to quantify for groups of people. They will evaluate everyting they did, every player they have and every coaching decision made to try to find the answer(s). I'm not sure how successful they will be. We'll know next season.
                              You know that may be the elusive answer...the insider, the pulse of a team..a guy like Lewis....we don't have that IN house guy...hense maybe the reason TC has gone to a "guest' from time to time ....And that could explain why he and the other coaches , DON'T have any reasonable explanations post game..Eli is a leader, but certainly not in the veign of a Gospel Hell & Brimstone motivator like Lewis...Eli is more of the calm during the cyclone kind...ya' know I think you nailed it....Chase has the spirit, and has more of a lead by example style, but I think we need a HOLY HALLEIGLUIA in your face kinda guy in that lockeroom...that has to be a VET..a FA pick up maybe??/

Comment

Working...
                              X