Healthy Nicks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy Nicks

For Christmas I finally got my copy of Road to XLVI on DVD and just got around to watching the first two games tonight.

I have to say, a huge hole this year was Nicks never really being healthy. Watching him in the playoffs last year was something to behold, and a huge part of why we went where we did. Cruz is fine, I'd take Nicks over him any day though, but he can't do it alone. I think Randle stepped up well and I still like Barden, but Nicks is an absolute beast.

Not sure if we would have won an extra game or two with him in there more and feeling good, but it surely would have given us an advantage.

I know there are plenty of other things that could be picked out from how things looked so great last year and so ugly this year in terms of play, (since the season had identitcal recrods), although there is more to a record. The d-line doesn't even look like the same guys and it is.

With the emergence of Wilson and Brown this year, I realize there is no room for Jacobs back here, but I loved that guy and the intensity he ran with.

Sorry for the reminiscing and rambling, this is fun to watch. It makes me sad our DE trio who killed it last year didn't perform this year and is likely broken up.

What can be the reason though, aside from Nicks being 100% which I still believe is huge, for a group of guys to fall off so much? Yeah, they won the same amount of games and lost the same amount, and even last year before the SB run they looked suspect, but it felt different. Were they the same team, just not able to get hot at the right time?
    sigpic

Dont worry because Nicks will be playing for a contract next year and expect him to have a huge year. He has his eyes on the prize $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Belicheck was miked up for the super bowl and during the game he said "don't let Cruz or Nicks beat you". So they doubled both and Manningham came through. This year, they single covered Nicks and he still couldn't make plays. The number one reason the offense struggled this year.

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
        Belicheck was miked up for the super bowl and during the game he said "don't let Cruz or Nicks beat you". So they doubled both and Manningham came through. This year, they single covered Nicks and he still couldn't make plays. The number one reason the offense struggled this year.
        I don't know about it being the number one reason because then you would have to blame the coaching staff for letting him play hurt and hurting the offense. The running game was way to inconsistent and didn't allow the passing game to develop much, there are many reasons why the offense sucked and it wasn't on Nicks alone.

Comment

Nicks not getting consistent separation and having breakaway ability was the big difference on O this year, no question. During the time Brown was healthy the running game was better than last year, and the TE position was better as well. Giants didn't win any shootouts this year - it was all or nothing, and against good Ds (SF excepted) it was mostly nothing.
          dems the breaks. at least they were all healthy for last year's playoffs.

Comment

I always wished they would have given Randle a bigger role earlier in the season when Nicks was out. Obviously this is hindsight, but I guess the CS felt he wasn't ready yet. It seemed like they were way too eager to get Nicks back on the field and it ended up hurting us. Combine that with a shaky O-Line and inconsistent play from Eli and there's our struggling inconsistent offense.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

Comment

You can't point to Nicks as the # 1 reason the offense struggled. That's just not true.
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                You can't point to Nicks as the # 1 reason the offense struggled. That's just not true.
                Actually it is somewhat true, Coughlin even came out and said Nicks being injured definitely limited our offense. Don't get me wrong, other factors were involved but Nicks injured did do damage.
                Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Wether it's true or not, there is a number one reason. What would you say it is, if you were to comment on it?
                  My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Very well said moosedrool, for what it's worth, I agree 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                      Wether it's true or not, there is a number one reason. What would you say it is, if you were to comment on it?
                      Eli. Part of that is the poor play of the O-Line, but Manning wasn't good this year. He still has the lowest lows of any good QB out there.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                        I don't think there is a # 1 reason. It's a combination of reasons to include the OLine, Eli, the lack of a consistent running game, Nicks being injured, dropped passes.
                        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

In golf or tennis you are responsible for what YOU do. Not so in football.

Comment

I don't think there is a # 1 reason. It's a combination of reasons to include the OLine, Eli, the lack of a consistent running game, Nicks being injured, dropped passes.
                            Yeah but it's hard to say that without acknowledging that perhaps one issue affected the team more than others. I wouldn't say each of those issues were 20% of the problem, but I guess that's fair if you see it like that. I guess evenness goes against my philosophy

Comment

In golf or tennis you are responsible for what YOU do. Not so in football.
                              I'd agree with that, every unit has an intangible effect on the other. We'll have great difficulty fully grasping what the extent of the effect, positive or negative is, but we can speculate on it. It's fun! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X