Life without Cruz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life without Cruz

Is anyone even considering the possibility that Cruz/Reese don't come to an agreement this offseason?

In Reese's closing press conference, he said " Obviously we talked a little during the season about an extension with him, but obviously it didn’t work out. We’ll see what happens during this offseason."

On paper that seems rather ominous.

My prediction: Cruz and the Giants don't come to an agreement before FA and Reese ends up putting a 1st round tender on Cruz.

-Maybe then the Bills or Panthers come along and offer him a deal we can't match. Just to throw some names up there.

Would Randle and Nicks with Jernigan/DePalma in the slot suffice?

Bottom line is there are plenty of possibilities, and to consider none that involve Cruz in another team's uniform is naive. I'd be willing to bet Reese prefers to keep Cruz, but he is paid to anticipate and react to all possible scenarios.

Thoughts?

I think we keep Cruz before we keep Nicks.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
      And that's perfectly reasonable, but Nicks is not an RFA/UFA until next year. He has a contract for 2013 and there is no doubt he'll be in Blue playing it out. Cruz doesn't and that is the point of this thread

Fact of the matter is: Everyone is acting like Cruz is a sure thing to get re-signed. I'm looking to discuss the potential that he doesn't.
      Last edited by PBTimmons; 01-02-2013, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Only positive about losing him is getting something in return because he is a RFA. Gut feeling though, he'll be back.. He's a fan favorite.. Local boy makes good. Gotta keep him.
        Stop Booing Tiki Barber.

Comment

Eli would be pissed if he was let go, I don' tthink it'll happen. Well, I hope it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
            I tend to agree but ONLY because of Nicks' injury history. Fortunately, they can wait on Nicks to see how he plays next season.
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by NYGisBallin View Post
              Only positive about losing him is getting something in return because he is a RFA. Gut feeling though, he'll be back.. He's a fan favorite.. Local boy makes good. Gotta keep him.
              They can tag him so he'll be back one way or another. They don't like using the tag so I think they will make him a good offer.
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                They can tag him so he'll be back one way or another. They don't like using the tag so I think they will make him a good offer.
                He deserves a nice paycheck for sure, I think I read an article you posted about his tending being like 2.2 million or something like that if they tender him..

Comment

Both will be here next year, guarantee. I think Cruz really wants to be a New York Giant and the Giants know his potential to be that slot receiver we need.

Comment

Originally posted by PBTimmons View Post
                    Is anyone even considering the possibility that Cruz/Reese don't come to an agreement this offseason?

In Reese's closing press conference, he said " Obviously we talked a little during the season about an extension with him, but obviously it didn’t work out. We’ll see what happens during this offseason."

On paper that seems rather ominous.

My prediction: Cruz and the Giants don't come to an agreement before FA and Reese ends up putting a 1st round tender on Cruz.

-Maybe then the Bills or Panthers come along and offer him a deal we can't match. Just to throw some names up there.

Would Randle and Nicks with Jernigan/DePalma in the slot suffice?

Bottom line is there are plenty of possibilities, and to consider none that involve Cruz in another team's uniform is naive. I'd be willing to bet Reese prefers to keep Cruz, but he is paid to anticipate and react to all possible scenarios.

Thoughts?
                    More likely they would franchise tag him until a deal could be worked out.

Comment

I would be shocked and very disappointed if he doesn't return. He works well with Eli, loves being a Giant, is from Jersey, and is (from all available public information) a true class act, who honorably represents an organization that values that type of thing.

Comment

I'd be way more torn up about losing Nicks than Cruz.
                        sigpic

Comment

After Jeremey Lin I believe anything is possible. The Jeremey Lin saga will go down there with the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees for $100K.

The Giants are just thick headed enough to let this happen.

Comment

1 thing I have seen about Cruz is that he is smart and knows how to market himself. He was the top vote getter for the pro bowl, unless I am mistaken. That is a popularity contest, as we all know.

That said, he would be INSANE to leave the NY market if he could help it. Strahan knew it, and so does Cruz, if you are charismatic and marketable you fight tooth and nail to stay in NY. His playing career may end next year but this city will love him for a lifetime. Endorsements and post playing day careers are built out of being a popular sports athlete in NYC.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                              I think FO would like to sign Cruz this year and put that behind because if Cruz plays this year under the tag or with a tender offer the possibility of signing Cruz and Nicks next year sounds unlikely.
                              " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Comment

Working...
                              X