Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domenik Hixon Wary Of Potentially Leaving Giants: "Grass Isn't Green On The Other Sid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domenik Hixon Wary Of Potentially Leaving Giants: "Grass Isn't Green On The Other Sid

http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/02/...he-other-side/

Excerpt: "Often clutch and always under-appreciated, wide receiver Domenik Hixon is one of many to-be free agents the New York Giants will need to address this offseason. However, unlike most free agents in recent years, Hixon isn't in a rush out the front door, and has been made to understand that the money may be greener away from New York, but the grass most certainly isn't.

"I talked to some guys who have left from here and the grass isn’t green on the other side," Hixon said. "We’ll see what happens. It’s an exciting time though."

One of the guys Hixon likely talked to is former running back Brandon Jacobs, who was recently released by the San Francisco 49ers after a public spat left him suspended for the latter part of the year. And never was there a more perfect example of "grass not being greener."

Of course, one could also ask wide receivers Steve Smith and Plaxico Burress, tight ends Jake Ballard and Kevin Boss (although the former didn't leave by choice) and cornerback Aaron Ross.

More often than not, players who choose to leave the Giants for more money often appear to be kicking themselves, wishing they could return. Hixon certainly doesn't want to become one of those, but he's also earned himself some consideration around the league and the potential for a solid contract. And he's thankful to Big Blue for that opportunity." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

This organization stuck by him when he was constantly injured. DH should take whatever deal the Giants offer him. They literally saved him from obscurity.
    I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post
      This organization stuck by him when he was constantly injured. DH should take whatever deal the Giants offer him. They literally saved him from obscurity.
      It's not like he doesn't bring anything to the table, though. He's versatile, arguably the best route runner on the team, and probably most importantly, survived a season after two ACL tears. I think they will make him a decent offer that he will take. I don't see them keeping Braden or Beckum. He knows he owes Reese his career and he's never been a me first kind of guy.
      Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-02-2013, 10:09 AM.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Couldn't think of a better #4 receiver for us next year. And a contributor on specials. Hopefully the come to an agreement.

Comment

Football isn't forever and yes the organization did help him but the bigger picture is that we must all take care of our families and if someone offers you a bigger contract I think you should take it. He has rings with the Giants and I know this a great organization to be a part of but secure your future if you can. If the price isn't significantly bigger then sure stay but if we're talking several million, I say go for it and become a mentor to some other young players who possibly need it to get them over the hump. Ex. Sam Madison and RW McQuarters (they weren't champs before coming to NY but they were great additions as far as a veteran presence in our secondary).

Comment

Hixon will be on this team next year, whenever he's in he contribute and is a team first guy. Those are the kind of guys this team likes! We are kind of heavy at WR so I could see it like this next year: Nicks, Cruz, Hixon, Randle, Jernigan and if we carry a sixth, Barden could be here or maybe a low draft pick or some cheap veteran from FA.

Comment

He proved this year that he can be a reliable and valuable receiver. Only concern I have ever had about DH is that he never seemed like he was able to stay healthy. But he did everything he could this year to prove that he can stay healthy, so hopefully he's wearing blue next year. If not, good luck to him.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                It's not like he doesn't bring anything to the table, though. He's versatile, arguably the best route runner on the team, and probably most importantly, survived a season after two ACL tears. I think they will make him a decent offer that he will take. I don't see them keeping Braden or Beckum. He knows he owes Reese his career and he's never been a me first kind of guy.
                No arguement here. I love the guy.....just saying, most other organizations would have let him go. He needs to consider that when making his decisions.
                I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

I don't think a person is "me" kind of person if he takes more money. Jacobs would've been fine had they let him play. I drive a truck delivering to the biggest fast food chain in america(I know comparing millions to thousands is a huge difference), my job is stable, I had incidents and I haven't been fired, they gave me time off to help my sister but if a better company comes along and offers me $15, 000 more a year and better benefits... does that make me a "me" person for taking it or does that make me someone who is thinking about my family's future?

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post
                    No arguement here. I love the guy.....just saying, most other organizations would have let him go. He needs to consider that when making his decisions.
                    I think his acknowledging the grass isn't necessarily green on the other side is a signal to Reese to make him a decent offer. A lot of p;layers WANT to be here and he's one of them.

Comment

I love Hixon. I really think it'd be foolish for him to go anywhere else and try the market. Really am not sure how many teams would take him and look how many chances we gave him through his injuries.

Comment

He will also have agree to being the number 4 WR. Randle is probably going to be the #3 next year.

Comment

Originally posted by BurnerNYG View Post
                          I don't think a person is "me" kind of person if he takes more money. Jacobs would've been fine had they let him play. I drive a truck delivering to the biggest fast food chain in america(I know comparing millions to thousands is a huge difference), my job is stable, I had incidents and I haven't been fired, they gave me time off to help my sister but if a better company comes along and offers me $15, 000 more a year and better benefits... does that make me a "me" person for taking it or does that make me someone who is thinking about my family's future?
                          You're right, it depends on what the difference is between and among offers. I'm suggesting he would take a lower salary if it were marginally better to stay here. Bennett has said the same things.

Look at Jacobs as an aexample. He went across the country for $500,000. Ask him if it was worth it.
                          Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
                            He will also have agree to being the number 4 WR. Randle is probably going to be the #3 next year.
                            I don't think that will factor into it. Randle is supposed to move up the ladder. Hixon's versatility is valuable.

Comment

I'd love to keep Hixon around. I do think Randle should get the bulk of the work at #3 WR, but Hixon's a nice guy to plug in occasionally and has the versatility that you'd like in a reserve.

I see Jernigan being back too as the #5 WR. The only receiver I see leaving is Barden...who I still think has some potential but can probably find a suitor to give him more playing time. The new #6 could be a guy like DePalma, or an undrafted rookie.

Comment

Working...
                              X