Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Reese...the best 43 defences took the linebacker position serious in the draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Drez View Post
    Because he places more value on the front and back 4.
    We need to draft better at LB, that's where the good value is, not in free agency.
    No one remembers who came in second.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Banks_Reasons_Carson_LT View Post
      Quit saying we draft scrubs and expect them to perform. Go talk to Parcells who drafted banks at #4 when he already had Taylor, Carson, van pelt and Kelly.

      Linebackers set the tone fo the toughness of the unit and your defense is soft.

      1985 bears
      Otis Wilson round 1
      Wilber Marshall round 1
      Mike singletary round 2

      2000 ravens
      Peter bouleware round 1
      Ray Lewis round 1
      Jamie sharper round 3

      2002 bucs
      Derrick brooks round 1

      2007 bears
      Ulacher round 1
      Lance Briggs round 3

      1970s steelers
      Jack ham round 2
      Jack lambert round 2


      2001 eagles
      Jessie small round 2
      Byron Evans round 4
      Seth Joyner round 8
      The '70s Steelers won 4 SBs, but all of those other teams either one 1 SB each or none ('01 Eagles and '07 Bears). The Giants have one 2 with their system of relying on DE's getting to the QB.

      I used to be for LB's up until we won last years SB. Now, I just want to focus on the D-line (in particular DE) and pick up LB's where we can get them. We got Armstead in the 7th or 8th RD when he was drafted. Our D stunk this year because the D-Line stunk.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Drez View Post
        At least 2 of the defenses you listed aren't even 43s, and 2 of them are Tampa-2s which rely heavily on a MLB that can cover the deep-middle zone.

        Our defense is based around DEs, not LBs.
        Ray Lewis and those other LBs mentioned for the Ravens were drafted when the Ravens were running a 4-3 (oOne of the Best 4-3 ever executed I might add) and we run a very similar version of the Tampa 2 but we try to cover our lack of having a Rangy LB like Urlacher and Brooks by throwing in a Safety.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by cva14 View Post
          Yeah... I would also say that Parcells liked big, very big offensive linemen. Look at the OLs he had with us, Pats, Jets, and was developing at Dallas and Miami. If the truth be known our running attack stank in the last four games of the season except when we won the SB. Our relatively small, finesse, not brute force, OL got worn down, and we couldn't win time of possession and put a rested defense on the field.
          Yourn right. The Typical Giants offensive lineman is about 6"5 and between 300-315. We don't draft the 325+ maulers like other teams.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by GoDeep80 View Post
            Ray Lewis and those other LBs mentioned for the Ravens were drafted when the Ravens were running a 4-3 (oOne of the Best 4-3 ever executed I might add) and we run a very similar version of the Tampa 2 but we try to cover our lack of having a Rangy LB like Urlacher and Brooks by throwing in a Safety.
            Wasn't Urlacher a hybrid LB/S in college?

            Comment


            • #21
              Kevin minter......do it

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Banks_Reasons_Carson_LT View Post
                Quit saying we draft scrubs and expect them to perform. Go talk to Parcells who drafted banks at #4 when he already had Taylor, Carson, van pelt and Kelly.

                Linebackers set the tone fo the toughness of the unit and your defense is soft.

                1985 bears
                Otis Wilson round 1
                Wilber Marshall round 1
                Mike singletary round 2

                2000 ravens
                Peter bouleware round 1
                Ray Lewis round 1
                Jamie sharper round 3

                2002 bucs
                Derrick brooks round 1

                2007 bears
                Ulacher round 1
                Lance Briggs round 3

                1970s steelers
                Jack ham round 2
                Jack lambert round 2


                eagles
                Jessie small round 2
                Byron Evans round 4
                Seth Joyner round 8
                You cannot use the 1985 Bears and 2000 Ravens defenses as examples. They were not traditional 4-3 defenses. After that other than the 1970's Steelers you have ok not great defenses. You also have the 2001 Eagles wrong, I think you are thinking of their late 80's early 90's defenses. Also the late 80's early 90's Eagles you meant to reference were also not a traditional 4-3 defense.
                Last edited by repeatchamps; 01-03-2013, 01:02 AM.
                Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Drez View Post
                  Wasn't Urlacher a hybrid LB/S in college?
                  Yes he was. Those Tweeners are perfect for Cover 2 systems and are Ideal. looke what Tampa did with Lavonte David, what they did with Derrick Brooks who had Safety speed and coverage ability which is why I think Alec Ogletree is the guy we need in the middle.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    All those defences played with a base Four down linemen irrespective of stunts and coverages.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Our LBers for Super Bowl 42 were Kawika Mitchell, Antonio Pierce, Reggie Torbor, and Mathias Kiwanuka.

                      Our LBers for Super Bowl 46 were Chase Blackburn, Michael Boley, Jacquian Williams and Mathias Kiwanuka.

                      LT is my all time favorite Giant and I agree the LB position is very important, but the list above from the 2 most recent Super Bowls isn't all that impressive. I know our D has had issues at times, but 2 Super Bowls in the past 5 years is pretty damn good.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        They need to shore up the middle in the run game and that is the bottom line, this team got run over period!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by GiantLegend View Post
                          Our LBers for Super Bowl 42 were Kawika Mitchell, Antonio Pierce, Reggie Torbor, and Mathias Kiwanuka.

                          Our LBers for Super Bowl 46 were Chase Blackburn, Michael Boley, Jacquian Williams and Mathias Kiwanuka.

                          LT is my all time favorite Giant and I agree the LB position is very important, but the list above from the 2 most recent Super Bowls isn't all that impressive. I know our D has had issues at times, but 2 Super Bowls in the past 5 years is pretty damn good.
                          and Kiwanuka was injured for SB 42.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Drez View Post
                            At least 2 of the defenses you listed aren't even 43s, and 2 of them are Tampa-2s which rely heavily on a MLB that can cover the deep-middle zone.

                            Our defense is based around DEs, not LBs.
                            I guess we better get a couple then, huh?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Drez View Post
                              At least 2 of the defenses you listed aren't even 43s, and 2 of them are Tampa-2s which rely heavily on a MLB that can cover the deep-middle zone.

                              Our defense is based around DEs, not LBs.
                              Tampa 2 is coverage not a front.
                              All those defenses above had a base 43.....go watch you tube

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by repeatchamps View Post
                                You cannot use the 1985 Bears and 2000 Ravens defenses as examples. They were not traditional 4-3 defenses. After that other than the 1970's Steelers you have ok not great defenses. You also have the 2001 Eagles wrong, I think you are thinking of their late 80's early 90's defenses. Also the late 80's early 90's Eagles you meant to reference were also not a traditional 4-3 defense.

                                The 1991 eagles led the NFL in both run and pass defence

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X