It's time to end the Ponzi Scheme...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    technically, i think we're screwed by free agent signings from outside the organization. i don't know how many of the players you've mentioned we actually restructured, or was this just how their deals were originally drawn up.

we've invested $18 million a season (in 2013 cap dollars) between Rolle and Canty. and i think we have some dead money from restructuring rocky too.

any restructuring was what Reese was doing because of these FA signings that while they've been productive for us, haven't been good bang for our buck at all.

the Webby thing is also really screwing us. Webby Rolle and Canty = $27 million in cap $. That makes me sick. Sick.
    As much as I'm a Reese homer, his FA signings make me scratch my head.
    http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
      but that is exactly the point Krunch , we were already in such bad cap shape that we then could not afford to re-sign them. we also were forced to play guys we would normally not play because we could not afford to upgrade in FA.
      It wasn't we couldn't afford Boss or Smith ... we just didn't want to pay what they wanted.

And losing Smith eventually led to us having Cruz and go on to win another SB.

Not to mention both Smith and Boss went on to do absolutely nothing in the league.

I'd call that pretty damn good management, wouldn't you?
      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
        It wasn't we couldn't afford Boss or Smith ... we just didn't want to pay what they wanted.

And losing Smith eventually led to us having Cruz and go on to win another SB.

Not to mention both Smith and Boss went on to do absolutely nothing in the league.

I'd call that pretty damn good management, wouldn't you?
        i thought it was the right moves but again mostly because we were trying to get under the cap.

krunch can you do me a favor, i cant find the 2013 cap penalties for , canty ,diehl, tuck, webster,boley and baas . if cut or traded,

thanks if you have them

Comment

i thought it was the right moves but again mostly because we were trying to get under the cap.

krunch can you do me a favor, i cant find the 2013 cap penalties for , canty ,diehl, tuck, webster,boley and baas . if cut or traded,

thanks if you have them
          http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/

Click on the individual to get the contract specifics. You save base salary and the first $150-250k of the "Misc. Bonus" which is typically the work out bonus (assuming you're cutting before OTAs). Signing bonuses and the remainder of the Misc. Bonus must be paid if cut.

This doesn't include any weirdness in the contract itself (such as deferrals and what not which are rarities).

At least that's how the aliens explained it to me.
          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/

Click on the individual to get the contract specifics. You save base salary and the first $150-250k of the "Misc. Bonus" which is typically the work out bonus (assuming you're cutting before OTAs). Signing bonuses and the remainder of the Misc. Bonus must be paid if cut.

This doesn't include any weirdness in the contract itself (such as deferrals and what not which are rarities).

At least that's how the aliens explained it to me.
            lol thanks i used this site and saw they had 2012 hits but was too lazy to break it down and did not want to do the math wrong. was hoping it was done so i can evaluate for myself who should be cut

Comment

lol thanks i used this site and saw they had 2012 hits but was too lazy to break it down and did not want to do the math wrong. was hoping it was done so i can evaluate for myself who should be cut
              START > Programs > Calculator

Or grab one of these bad boys:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Comment

START > Programs > Calculator

Or grab one of these bad boys:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
                i know calulator but i was saying i didnt want to subtract the bonus wrong or guaranteed portion. it gets tricky sometimes.

so i guess im asking you to do it. since you did rolles.

Comment

i know calulator but i was saying i didnt want to subtract the bonus wrong or guaranteed portion. it gets tricky sometimes.

so i guess im asking you to do it. since you did rolles.
                  K ... I beamed it to your tin foil hat. Let me know when you get it.

Comment

I always thought of it as smoke and mirrors, but now I see the money is future money and we will end up paying for it when the time comes, if it isn't already here.

Safe to say we will not be making any sexy moves this off-season. Makes me wonder if we can even afford to resign Cruz.
                    Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury View Post
                      I always thought of it as smoke and mirrors, but now I see the money is future money and we will end up paying for it when the time comes, if it isn't already here.

Safe to say we will not be making any sexy moves this off-season. Makes me wonder if we can even afford to resign Cruz.
                      Cruz is an RFA ... if they can't come to terms, they'd tender him as a 1st and 3rd (meaning a team would have to give us a 1st and 3rd if we weren't willing to pay what they were to keep him).

However if we went that route and Cruz has another 1000+ season in 2013, then in 2014 (when he'd be an unrestricted free agent) he'd easily be a $10+ million guy.

Cruz will definitely be a Giant in 2013 (96% chance). 2014 is the big question. I'm hoping they give him a 5 year $40 million contract extension or something to that effect this year instead of a 4 year $45 million contract next year which is what he'll command if he performs.

Comment

Cruz is an RFA ... if they can't come to terms, they'd tender him as a 1st and 3rd (meaning a team would have to give us a 1st and 3rd if we weren't willing to pay what they were to keep him).

However if we went that route and Cruz has another 1000+ season in 2013, then in 2014 (when he'd be an unrestricted free agent) he'd easily be a $10+ million guy.

Cruz will definitely be a Giant in 2013 (96% chance). 2014 is the big question. I'm hoping they give him a 5 year $40 million contract extension or something to that effect this year instead of a 4 year $45 million contract next year which is what he'll command if he performs.
                        The thing that's nice about this is that more of the cruft is going to be FA in 2014. Webby, Tuck, etc... and then we wouldn't have to suffer the cap hits to let them walk.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                          The thing that's nice about this is that more of the cruft is going to be FA in 2014. Webby, Tuck, etc... and then we wouldn't have to suffer the cap hits to let them walk.
                          Yup ... maybe Reese isn't so dumb after all

Also it's important to note that the salary cap is based on league revenue (in part). So we could see a large jump in the cap within the next two years.

Comment

Yup ... maybe Reese isn't so dumb after all

Also it's important to note that the salary cap is based on league revenue (in part). So we could see a large jump in the cap within the next two years.
                            So will every team.
                            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

The last thing the Giants will do is try to rebuild while Eli Manning is in his prime. They want to win and win now. They'll fill voids and I expect the next 3 years to be very good for us.

Comment

Originally posted by TuckandRolle View Post
                                The last thing the Giants will do is try to rebuild while Eli Manning is in his prime. They want to win and win now. They'll fill voids and I expect the next 3 years to be very good for us.
                                Historically, Reese isn't above replacing players after their first contract.

Boss, Smith, Tollefson, Ross and Goff just to name a few.

The idea is to be constantly "rebuilding" rather than totally collapse one year. What the Colts have managed to do is almost unprecendented in the NFL (especially if they keep it up going forward). I just wish we could do it while maintaining slightly stronger regular seasons.
                                Last edited by Kruunch; 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X