Giants Hope To Avoid Brownout With Young Safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants Hope To Avoid Brownout With Young Safety

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giants_hope_to_avoid_brownout_with_fNBIp3tX1rot4N9 RLeiEVL

Excerpt: "Stevie Brown is set to become a restricted free agent and, given the season he just gave the Giants, how can they move forward without re-signing him?

The season is over and done with for the Giants, but the hits keep coming for Brown, who yesterday was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week, the first Giants safety to receive that honor twice in a season.
    Brown, 25, finished up a breakthrough first year with the Giants in style. On the fifth play of last Sunday’s 42-7 victory over the Eagles, Brown intercepted a Michael Vick pass and returned it 48 yards, setting up the Giants’ first touchdown. Brown also had six solo tackles, matching Chase Blackburn for the team lead.

Signed as primarily a special teams player, Brown started 11 games, as Kenny Phillips was mostly out of the lineup with knee issues. Brown made the most of his playing time, leading the team with eight interceptions, second in the NFL behind Tim Jennings of the Bears, who had nine. The eight interceptions were the most by a Giant since Willie Williams had 10 in 1968. Brown previously played for the Raiders and Colts and in 23 career games did not have any interceptions.

“Stevie had an outstanding season and became a ball-hawk for us,’’ Antrel Rolle said on WFAN. “It just seemed like he had a magnet for the ball. It was crazy.

’’
    What happens next with Brown is probably tied to what the Giants do with Phillips, who after five seasons is an unrestricted free agent and seems headed elsewhere. Asked if he thinks he needs a change of scenery, Phillips laughed and said, “I just got to wait and see what happens.’’ Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Got to keep him and Will Hill IMO.
    WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Gotta bring him back.. Interesting to see how Reese plays this.
      Stop Booing Tiki Barber.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
        Got to keep him and Will Hill IMO.
        Will Hill has two more years under contract with us. The Giants have a choice to resign Stevie Brown or Kenny Phillips, I highly doubt they can retain both with the other free agents they have. I believe Brown is a restriced free agent, meaning we would be compensated if a team signs him. Not the same for Kenny Phillips.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Comment

I want Brown over Phillips.

Comment

It's really unfortunate we couldnt see more of the three safety package featuring Rolle, Brown, and Phillips. In times we did (Green Bay, 2nd Philly game), the back end of our defense was rock solid

Comment

Tender him at the highest and try to shop him, that's top notch management in my eyes. Take a player as a ST guy, pay him the minimum, showcase his talents, and get some picks.
              My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Or at the second round level tender
                My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

I would be happy if we put a 2nd round tender on him. Some stupid team will overpay for that.

Comment

Originally posted by GMAN2K9 View Post
                    It's really unfortunate we couldnt see more of the three safety package featuring Rolle, Brown, and Phillips. In times we did (Green Bay, 2nd Philly game), the back end of our defense was rock solid
                    Looking forward to Rolle, Hill, and Brown

Comment

this guy is a MUST sign,,,pure ball hawk.

Comment

Everyone is so quick to dismiss KP. Brown sure does make some great plays on the ball, but for every INT he has 2 blown coverages.

Comment

K.Phillips is done, ever since his knee injury he has not been the same, and is constantly on the injured list, we need players that can get on the field and produce, and Brown is one of those players, Brown will be resigned and Phillips is gone.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_ One View Post
                            K.Phillips is done, ever since his knee injury he has not been the same, and is constantly on the injured list, we need players that can get on the field and produce, and Brown is one of those players, Brown will be resigned and Phillips is gone.
                            What are you talking about? KP's injury this season is in no way related to his injury in 09. He played 16 games in 10 and 15 in 11! He had a VERY good season in 11 and this defense has been MUCH better when he's been on the field. He's by far the surest tackler in our secondary! This season he had an unfortunate injury and now all the sudden he's injury prone and worthless?

Comment

Originally posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
                              this guy is a MUST sign,,,pure ball hawk.
                              Agreed one of the few bright spots on the Defense this year
                              The Gigalo with the most below

Comment

Working...
                              X