Victor Cruz Expected to Seek $8 - 10 Million Per Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    oh dont get me wrong, i agree with ur cruz analysis 1000%. thats why i question if we can attain similar levels of success, even if by different measures/ways, ie like by an aggregate of a combo of players even. the reason why, is a huge part of cruzs success in our offense is his play out of the slot. If we can attain that success through different, and more importantly, cheaper means, that has a huge implication on the cruz contract situation. see what i mean?
    If I were Reese THIS YEAR, I'd want to sign Cruz to a fair, long term contract. I'd also want to see Nicks' play next year not only to see his stats, but his durability before negotiating his contract. To protect against Nicks having continuing health issues in 2013, I'd also sign Hixon as a dependable understudy for whoever might not play games, solid #4 WR ( assuming Randle passes him on the depth chart) and punt/kick returner. He will come relatively cheaply IMO.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

that doesnt necessarily negate the question. can a less than 100% nicks attain a level of success from the slot as Cruz? thats got to be an angle looked at? and if not Nicks, then can a Randle, or JJ attain a level of success from the slot comparable to Cruz? Doesnt have to be through the same measures/ways, but the end result has to be the same; a consistent, high level of success.
      I don't think so. Because Nicks plays so physical, I don't think he is ever going to be the same. Cruz is possibly one of the best slot receivers in the game..don't know if Nicks can play that position being injured all the time. Randle? Maybe. I like Randle a lot.
      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Cruz will get paid.

Nicks will not get paid, at least by the Giants.

Randle is here to replace Nicks.

Comment

and to continue/add, IF nicks can be as effective out of the slot, does he become the better choice at keeping bc of his added presence on the outside?
          No I don't think so. I think Cruz is a dominant slot receiver, and Nicks is dominant on the outside. Can Nicks play the slot, and can Cruz play the outside? Yes but imo they are not as effective. The way I look at it is that you could say the same thing about many other players on the team, but if they already starters and arguably dominant at their position then you aren't going to be moving them anyway, and therefore their value does not increase.

Another example would be JPP. I think everyone can agree that he is an athletic freak and could play(possibly start in on this defense) at linebacker. Does this increase his value? No because he is already great at what he does at DE, and hopefully would never think of moving him to LB. Then you could take a look at a borderline starter like Chase Blackburn, and being proficient at another position would definitely increase his value because the potential of him being moved out of his natural position is much greater than the other guys I mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
            I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm

Would you like an official ruling?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
              Would you risk drafting a WR in the first round though knowing our holes?
              I can turn it around though and say would you rather take that risk and then using that 8 million elsewhere? Like a stud LT? Personally, I think I would. We all know that it won't matter who we have at WR as much if Eli isn't upright.
              http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
              http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
              http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

• And I don't get those who say Cruz is not worth it. This guy is the next generation Wes Welker, with a little more explosion. And he's coming into his prime. Of course he's gonna get paid.

Comment

• agree with u rudy, rf, nygisballing, and shakenbake.

i get the feeling that the consensus is we gotta re-sign him, even if its at market price. its tough. but i certainly see and agree with the perspective that a healthy cruz, nicks, and randle will be LETHAL, especially with a Hixon and even a JJ as understudies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                    Would you like an official ruling?
                    As in "replay" Hell yes
                    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

• Originally posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
                      GREAT POINT. GREAT.

look to the senior citizens of our boards for true perspective.

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Comment

agree with u rudy, rf, nygisballing, and shakenbake.

i get the feeling that the consensus is we gotta re-sign him, even if its at market price. its tough. but i certainly see and agree with the perspective that a healthy cruz, nicks, and randle will be LETHAL, especially with a Hixon and even a JJ as understudies.
                        They won't release Jernigan while he's still working on his rookie contract, but Barden has to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
                          I can turn it around though and say would you rather take that risk and then using that 8 million elsewhere? Like a stud LT? Personally, I think I would. We all know that it won't matter who we have at WR as much if Eli isn't upright.
                          Yeah you have to remember this is a guy who we picked up as a UFA, and to replace him we would need to burn a high round draft pick or pickup someone in FA, and even then its not a guarantee that we will get the same type of production.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                            They won't release Jernigan while he's still working on his rookie contract, but Barden has to go.
                            Barden sucks, he is Anthony Mix II

Comment

• Originally posted by Harooni View Post
                              YOU GUYS ARE DREAMING TOP WR commands the going rate, he probably will take less to stay here but it will still be a high figure to lock him up during his prime.

now maybe some of you will see the problem with all the restructuring and bloated contracts hitting us now.
                              Agreed. He is a top WR. Not elite though.

In fact, I plan to start 50 threads about it....but first I want to compare his first season with Randy Moss'

Comment

• Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
                                True, but i dont' think Cruz is some immense talent that couldn't be found in the first round.
                                Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                                He's a damn good talent who has worked in this system for three years and had back to back 1,000 yard seasons. I can't imagine replacing him with a draft pick and not losing ground.

If we go for WR first round, the problems we are having do not get addressed once again.
                                I agree. We may not see dividends immediately, since it cometimes takes some time for WRs to get up to speed, but it will pay off in a couple years. We have the 8-10 million elsewhere to use. Everyone is clamoring over the OLine. Why not a stud LT? If all of a sudden Eli has more time to throw, will it offset the loss of Cruz? Keep in mind that we'll have Nicks for at least one more year. So it's not like we'll have 2 green WRs running around out there.

But again, Nicks healthy is a big questionmark.
                                http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                                http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                                http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Working...
                                X