Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants' GM Reese Thinks Michael Strahan Could Help JPP

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...3-fb67ccac9f45

Jason Pierre-Paul's success last season was going to be near impossible to reproduce in 2012. But his 6.5 sacks didn’t come close to the 16.5 he had a year ago, while the team’s totals dropped as well.

The NFL clearly paid attention during the Super Bowl run and teams did everything they could to slow the pass rush and prevent the Giants from repeating. Nevertheless, general manager Jerry Reese said Wednesday that the defensive end must overcome it and knows just the man Pierre-Paul needs to talk to.

“The guy I’d love for him to talk to in the offseason some is Michael Strahan,” Reese told WFAN’s Mike Francesa Thursday afternoon, referencing the Giants' all-time sack leader. “Because after Michael became the superstar defensive end, he was getting double teamed, he was getting chipped, but he was still getting sacks. So the great ones still get through there and still make plays. And he’s got to do that. He can’t give up, like, ‘Wow, they’re double teaming, they’re triple teaming me, I’m getting chipped, they’re high-low’ing me, they’re doing everything to me.’

“It’s frustrating for a young player, but to be a superstar defensive end or pass rusher in this league, you have to beat those double-team blocks. I’m going to reach out to Michael Strahan this offseason to see if we can have him have some conversations with JPP and just tell him, look, it’s inside your chest a lot of it, you’ve got to have the heart to do it. And I think he does. But I think if he hears it from somebody like Michael Strahan, that will really encourage him.”

Despite whatever drop-off there was, Pierre-Paul was again named to the Pro Bowl – the Giants’ only starter this year in Hawaii – but the concern was part of a larger picture. The Giants finished with 33 sacks (22nd in the NFL), which was down from 48 (3rd) in 2011.

“I’d like to make some excuses for them, we didn’t get the job done,” Reese said. “That’s the
    number one thing I can tell you – we didn’t get the job done. And again, you can say, well, other teams prepare for this Giants pass rush, they get the ball out of the quarterbacks’ hands more quickly, they chip on these guys. So they do a lot of different things.

I said the other day the other teams’ coaches get paid as well. So there were some things to try to counter our pass rush, but the number one thing, we didn’t get it done. The pass rush didn’t get it done, and they feel badly about it. Those guys have a lot of pride up front.”
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

If that doesnt work ill help him.

Comment

no one needed to double tuck, and the extra blockers just shifted to jpp who didn't adjust to the extra attention.
      sigpic

Comment

The only problem here is Strahan had an effective bookend where JPP doesn't
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Well Reese, dump Fewell and hire Stray! Is Reese just depending on JPP to break double and triple teams? Get him a bookend DE, like a young Tuck, and see what happens.
          WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
            Well Reese, dump Fewell and hire Stray! Is Reese just depending on JPP to break double and triple teams? Get him a bookend DE, like a young Tuck, and see what happens.
            What makes Strahan a coach?

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              What makes Strahan a coach?
              His experience on Kelly and Micheal translate well to the NFL.

Comment

How about get JPP his "Robin" like how Jordan got Pippen??????????? You can't heavily depend on one guy on defense. Tuck and Osi aren't the answer, Reese.

Comment

I'm hoping Tracy or Ojomo can be that bookend... we're not going to be able to resign all the high-priority FA from our own team, let alone go out and get another one, and we need the entire draft for O-line...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Bold statement by JR. Seems like JR is telling him he has to work for that huge contract everyone assumes he will get.
                    Emperor Tom

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                      The only problem here is Strahan had an effective bookend where JPP doesn't
                      lol que? and who was that, Kenny Holmes? I'd hardly call that an effective bookend. His most dominant seasons were 2001 and 2003, both of which were Kenny's and Hammer's worst. he didn't get a legit bookend until 2005, unless you want to count Chad Bratzke

Comment

Originally posted by NYG 5 View Post
                        lol que? and who was that, Kenny Holmes? I'd hardly call that an effective bookend. His most dominant seasons were 2001 and 2003, both of which were Kenny's and Hammer's worst. he didn't get a legit bookend until 2005, unless you want to count Chad Bratzke
                        Yep. Stray was a one man wrecking crew for awhile there

Comment

If things ever go sideways with Kelly Ripa, I'd love to have him as our D-line coach...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                            If things ever go sideways with Kelly Ripa, I'd love to have him as our D-line coach...
                            I think if he wanted to do that he'd already be here.

Comment

After that "meeting" before the Ravens game, I have no faith in any motivational ploys that this team plans to attempt.
                              My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Working...
                              X