Kiwanuka stud pass rusher or bust?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwanuka stud pass rusher or bust?

I was looking through the year end PFF stats and sorted 4-3 OLB's by pass rush grade. Kiwanuka was the lowest graded. I know he is playing out of position, but you would think a guy drafted for his pass rush ability would have graded much higher and recorded more than 3 sacks.

Name Team Snaps Rush
    1 Von Miller DEN 996 51.4
    2 Philip Wheeler OAK 1043 8.6
    3 Akeem Ayers TEN 874 6.8
    4 Sean Weatherspoon ATL 846 5.0
    5 Jerod Mayo NE 1073 4.8
    6 Dont'a Hightower NE 542 3.8
    7 JoLonn Dunbar SL 1088 2.6
    8 Kevin Burnett MIA 1096 2.2
    9 Erin Henderson MIN 701 1.7
    10 Manny Lawson CIN 362 1.4
    11 Russell Allen JAX 1011 1.3
    12 Kaluka Maiava CLV 498 1.2
    13 Lance Briggs CHI 1025 1.0
    14 James-Michael Johnson CLV 294 0.7
    15 Wesley Woodyard DEN 908 0.6
    16 Zach Brown TEN 643 0.4
    17 Nigel Bradham BUF 402 0.1
    18 K.J. Wright SEA 890 -0.1
    19 Jonathan Vilma NO 410 -0.2
    19 David Hawthorne NO 325 -0.2
    21 Chad Greenway MIN 1158 -0.3
    21 DeAndre Levy DET 729 -0.3
    23 Nick Roach CHI 434 -0.6
    23 Stephen Nicholas ATL 890 -0.6
    23 Craig Robertson CLV 628 -0.6
    23 Mychal Kendricks PHI 955 -0.6
    27 Leroy Hill SEA 514 -0.7
    27 Akeem Jordan PHI 342 -0.7
    29 Jacquian Williams NYG 299 -1.4
    30 Bryan Scott BUF 604 -1.8
    31 Julian Stanford JAX 353 -2.1
    32 Thomas Davis CAR 798 -2.2
    32 Justin Durant DET 875 -2.2
    34 James Anderson CAR 528 -2.5
    35 Quincy Black TB 300 -2.6
    36 Michael Boley NYG 859 -2.8
    37 Rocky McIntosh SL 456 -2.9
    38 Lavonte David TB 1090 -3.0
    38 Koa Misi MIA 559 -3.0
    38 Vontaze Burfict CIN 905 -3.0
    41 Miles Burris OAK 893 -3.8
    42 Nick Barnett BUF 1024 -3.9
    43 Mathias Kiwanuka NYG 539 -5.5
    Last edited by moosedrool; 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM.

Neither
    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Do they grade him at DE where he's split his time?
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

he didnt really start to play much DE until the SF, and kiwi also had some nagging injuries plague him this year. hes been out of position for a while as far as im concerned. he led the team in pressures one year when he actually played a full year healthy. hes still young. no way hes a bust. he will be fine wherever we use him.

Comment

I like him more as a DE, as I'm sure he does as well

Comment

Much better DE... With osi out.. I would assume he'll get more PT there.
            Stop Booing Tiki Barber.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGisBallin View Post
              Much better DE... With osi out.. I would assume he'll get more PT there.
              Makes sense
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

You do realize 90% of those guys play on 3-4 defenses which pad linebacker stats? However I do agree he is better as a DE and enough is enough with him at linebacker where he is just ok. Now that Osi is gone let him play from the 3 point stance.

Comment

Originally posted by BROADWAYSTORM View Post
                  You do realize 90% of those guys play on 3-4 defenses which pad linebacker stats? However I do agree he is better as a DE and enough is enough with him at linebacker where he is just ok. Now that Osi is gone let him play from the 3 point stance.
                  Von Miller and Kiwi are the only guys on that list that spend most of their pass snaps rushing the passer

Kiwi had a really poor year. Both at LB and DL

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                    Von Miller and Kiwi are the only guys on that list that spend most of their pass snaps rushing the passer

Kiwi had a really poor year. Both at LB and DL
                    Kiwi had much more snaps at SAM than he did as DE (not to mention he was dropped into coverage a few times on zone blitzes).

Another reason I hate PFF ... stupid to rank someone who was part time at best and to equate a passing rushing OLB in a 3-4 and a SAM LB in a 4-3 is moronic.

Kiwi plays best at the line. While not a "stud" pass rusher, he's a very good compliment guy. I'd love to see him replace Tuck in the main rotation at strong side DE. JPP's sacks would shoot back up.
                    Last edited by Kruunch; 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM.
                    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

He isnt either of those things.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                        Another reason I hate PFF ... stupid to rank someone who was part time at best and to equate a passing rushing OLB in a 3-4 and a SAM LB in a 4-3 is moronic..
                        You obviously don't understand how PFF calculates their pass rush grade. Only plays where they rush the passer are included in the pass rush grade, so regardless of where the starting point is, each rush is evaluated. Did he beat his man? Did he get stacked? Did he get a pressure? Did he get a QB hit? Did he get a sack? All those things are considered and a grade assigned for each pass rush. -5.5 for the year is really bad.
                        Last edited by moosedrool; 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

You do realize 90% of those guys play on 3-4 defenses which pad linebacker stats?.
                          Wrong. This list is for 4-3 OLB's. There is a separate list for 3-4 OLB's.

Comment

Inside 3-4 LB's rush the passer too on blitzes and I see many of them on that list.

Comment

Inside 3-4 LB's rush the passer too on blitzes and I see many of them on that list.
                              Many? Who?

Comment

Working...
                              X