Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salary cap room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Salary cap room

    Not since Accorsi made a splash with Plaxico, Pierce, & McKenzie, have the Giants been able to sign multiple bigger prized free agents in an offseason. Pierce made an interesting point on ESPN radio the other night. He said the team doesn't respond to the media pressure, and he didn't feel they responded to Coughlin either this season. He felt signing some FA's who've never won the big one, who would come in hungry the way Rolle did, and push the guys here. I don't know what space they have or will have after cuts, Cruz signing, etc, but it would be nice to see some veterans at key spots like CB, O line, or LB, come in and create a sense of urgency with those already here. It seems they've been up against the cap every offseason since those signings, so I'm curious to see what room they'll have.

  • #2
    Idk about their cap hits, but I'd say canty,boley,Diehl,Webster, & possibly Bradshaw can be lived without....having guys in line to replace them is the question.....Diehl & boley IMO can be easily replaced....canty,he's going to have to take a paycut, we have Joseph & that's it really, Kuhn & Austin we have no clue what's up with these guys....Bradshaw, I love him,but he's always playing hurt....can't pay the guy almost 4mil to play hurt all year while a 1st round RB & promising brown sit the bench......Webster,kinda have to have him,but can't afford to overpay him......even if we drafted a CB,assuming the guys good enough to play, rookies won't see much action until mid season, are we comfortable with prince,Hosley & unknow all year?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by myles2424 View Post
      are we comfortable with prince,Hosley & unknow all year?
      No.

      Prince was good when on the field but can he stay on the field for 16 games?

      Other than a few plays, Hosley did not impress and at his size can he stay healthy for 16 games?

      Comment


      • #4
        We are comfortable without Bradshaw if Brown can come back healthy, but that is a big if.

        Webster was the equivalent of Tryon towards the end so who knows what value he brings to the team anymore.

        We already have Diehls replacement on the roster.

        Boley deserves another year. Move him to the Mike and put JWill in his place outside.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by VBGiantsFan View Post
          We are comfortable without Bradshaw if Brown can come back healthy, but that is a big if.
          .
          A very big if. I'm sure he'll be healthy at the start of the year. But can he stay healthy. With his running style and body type I have my doubts.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hosely certainly had his rough patches - expected as a rookie - but he flashed enough to believe he will develop nicely in the NFL. Still we will have to wait and see. Prince played nicely all year and 13 games isn't awful.

            Comment


            • #7
              Im not sure if you need to bring in big time FAs to motivate the team. I think moving out the players who are content and did not work as hard would work just as well. Rookies if they are worth anything should want to be the best and win the superbowl on their own.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                Im not sure if you need to bring in big time FAs to motivate the team. I think moving out the players who are content and did not work as hard would work just as well. Rookies if they are worth anything should want to be the best and win the superbowl on their own.
                I don't think it's about big time FA or a guy just filling gaps, but the attitude of the players....like tuck, he's one of the few guys on the team that could provide any leadership & guys could lean on,yet he doesn't....that laid back,non Agressive,take it or leave it attitude is contagious....

                When times get hard we don't have the strahan,ray Lewis,Dawkins, outspoken leader that leads vocally & by example...
                Having played football my whole life, I seen how bad attitudes can effect a whole team & also how players with good hard work ethic,tuff,aggressive players that don't like to lose make everyone around them better....

                Maybe I'm crazy, but to me it seems like when times get hard, we don't have any of those type of leaders...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Pierce may have a point and the Giants could certainly live without...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Vets could certainly help in some positions Rookies in others. I still believe in my heart motivation wasnt the reason why we fell apart this year.. Health in my opinion was the issue.
                    Stop Booing Tiki Barber.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DaveBrown View Post
                      Not since Accorsi made a splash with Plaxico, Pierce, & McKenzie, have the Giants been able to sign multiple bigger prized free agents in an offseason. Pierce made an interesting point on ESPN radio the other night. He said the team doesn't respond to the media pressure, and he didn't feel they responded to Coughlin either this season. He felt signing some FA's who've never won the big one, who would come in hungry the way Rolle did, and push the guys here. I don't know what space they have or will have after cuts, Cruz signing, etc, but it would be nice to see some veterans at key spots like CB, O line, or LB, come in and create a sense of urgency with those already here. It seems they've been up against the cap every offseason since those signings, so I'm curious to see what room they'll have.
                      That is some really odd logic for signing an FA.
                      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                        Im not sure if you need to bring in big time FAs to motivate the team. I think moving out the players who are content and did not work as hard would work just as well. Rookies if they are worth anything should want to be the best and win the superbowl on their own.
                        To add to your point, if you look at the people who vastly under performed (to expectations) they were CWeb, Osi and Tuck (you could even throw Eli into the mix if you wanted to) ... all guys who have two rings with this team.

                        There is something to be said for a SB hangover ... how much worse is it when you're double dipping?

                        Part of the reason the Pats don't tend to keep people around? Keep the hungry players.
                        I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If the Giants got rid of some guys we could make a huge splash in FA this year. List of players getting paid much more than their production:

                          Canty
                          Rolle
                          Diehl
                          Baas
                          Webster
                          Tuck
                          Boley
                          Bradshaw

                          Cut a few of them and this team will improve.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We are still in Cap hell and from what I understand the solution is not going to be to cut some of the players listed because we will take Cap hits doing so. So, no sexy FA signings again this year. We will be lucky to resign our own needed FAs.
                            Do not feed the trolls.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can't believe so many wan to get rid of Bradshaw.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X