Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stray's sack record

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stray's sack record

    Man why do ppl have to talk about his record being tainted ? Because Farve and him were friends ???

    I saw the play and it was a naked boot and he pretty much gave up as he would have been sacked anyways.

    If you watched the games leading up to that moment when he did beat the record you would notice there were at least 3 or 4 sacks down the stretch that were just missed or taken away from penalty or whatever. I remember saying he could have had more and it bothers me that ppl refer to this as tainted.
    Heck even if the Farve sack they question he still ended up with 21.5 then, hard to complain.

  • #2
    Because it was said that Favre set it up for him.

    If you notice, Strahan isn't even touched by the RT and the game was out of hand (Greenbay ran away with it).

    I was ok with it though ... he was a monster during the rest of that season (as he was his entire career). Even if he did make a habit of stat gathering when it didn't mean much to the game.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C2W62HNNsc


    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

    Comment


    • #3
      Sometimes lineman allow the DE to move in upfield to catch him rushing in as they roll out.
      I cant see the youtube clip at work. Do you not see Osi be allowed in a lot so they can run right by him or allow him inside so that they can go out.

      I would have to examine the play at home.

      Comment


      • #4
        It was set up. Favre and Stray are good friends. But I dont really care. Its Strahan's sack record. Tough nuggies.
        WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sheepdip View Post
          Sometimes lineman allow the DE to move in upfield to catch him rushing in as they roll out.
          I cant see the youtube clip at work. Do you not see Osi be allowed in a lot so they can run right by him or allow him inside so that they can go out.

          I would have to examine the play at home.

          Yes I know the design. That's to allow the QB to step up in the pocket (or to run a draw or throw a screen).

          In this case, Favre rolled out to the strong side right into Strahan. If it was designed, it was literally the worse designed offensive play ... ever.
          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
            It was set up. Favre and Stray are good friends. But I dont really care. Its Strahan's sack record. Tough nuggies.
            That and I wasn't a huge Gastineau fan.

            ***** whipped by out of the NFL by a hack of an actress .... pffffft.
            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

            Comment


            • #7
              he did have a ton of sacks taken back by penalty that year which is why i think favre let him get record. anyway it doesnt matter its his record period
              sigpic
              FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

              2015 season tbd

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sheepdip View Post
                Man why do ppl have to talk about his record being tainted ? Because Farve and him were friends ???

                I saw the play and it was a naked boot and he pretty much gave up as he would have been sacked anyways.

                If you watched the games leading up to that moment when he did beat the record you would notice there were at least 3 or 4 sacks down the stretch that were just missed or taken away from penalty or whatever. I remember saying he could have had more and it bothers me that ppl refer to this as tainted.
                Heck even if the Farve sack they question he still ended up with 21.5 then, hard to complain.
                It was a sham and the record is definitely tainted.
                The Packers were way ahead and were running the ball to run out the clock. This was a pure set up to get a record. To see this any other way is the take rationalization to a new level.
                Records mean nothing if they aren't attained in the course of legitimate football. This was as iligitimate as anything I've ever seen.

                Love Strahan and think he was a great player, but this was an insult to the intelligence of all football fans, and Its embarrassing to Giants fans.
                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                  It was a sham and the record is definitely tainted.
                  The Packers were way ahead and were running the ball to run out the clock. This was a pure set up to get a record. To see this any other way is the take rationalization to a new level.
                  Records mean nothing if they aren't attained in the course of legitimate football. This was as iligitimate as anything I've ever seen.

                  Love Strahan and think he was a great player, but this was an insult to the intelligence of all football fans, and Its embarrassing to Giants fans.
                  I think it's a sham that Gastineau had to use steroids to accomplish his stats and record breaking season of sacks.

                  Giants fan since the early 80s

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ny06 View Post
                    I think it's a sham that Gastineau had to use steroids to accomplish his stats and record breaking season of sacks.
                    That's fine. This isn't about Mark Gastineau. Its about breaking a record with a fixed play.
                    Last year Jared Allen missed by 1/2 sack. As far as I'm concerned, he has the NFL single season sack record. And he didn't rig a play at the end to break the record iligitimately, like Strahan and Favre did.

                    Oh and BTW...its a good thing he juiced (if he did) because it helped us get into the playoffs when they beat GB for us week 16, 1981.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                      That's fine. This isn't about Mark Gastineau. Its about breaking a record with a fixed play.
                      Last year Jared Allen missed by 1/2 sack. As far as I'm concerned, he has the NFL single season sack record. And he didn't rig a play at the end to break the record iligitimately, like Strahan and Favre did.

                      Oh and BTW...its a good thing he juiced (if he did) because it helped us get into the playoffs when they beat GB for us week 16, 1981.
                      But it is about Gastineau, it was his record that was broken. My point about steroids is he had an advantage over other players who weren't using, hence why his stats are tainted by performance enhanced drugs.

                      Giants fan since the early 80s

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ny06 View Post
                        But it is about Gastineau, it was his record that was broken. My point about steroids is he had an advantage over other players who weren't using, hence why his stats are tainted by performance enhanced drugs.
                        Come on. The O linemen he was playing against were also juicing. EVERYBODY juiced back then. And anyway..who gives a ****. Its the principle. Or is it your view that Strahan and Farve were just fixing it for the love of a game to get your villain, Gastineau off the record book?

                        But what about Jared Allen? Should he have rigged it last year to get the record? Is that OK with you? Weren't his 22 sacks legitimate? Or do you have some other BS excuse for him last year?
                        Or should all records in sports be gotten through legitimate play on the filed in attempts to win games?
                        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                          Come on. The O linemen he was playing against were also juicing. EVERYBODY juiced back then. And anyway..who gives a ****. Its the principle. Or is it your view that Strahan and Farve were just fixing it for the love of a game to get your villain, Gastineau off the record book?

                          But what about Jared Allen? Should he have rigged it last year to get the record? Is that OK with you? Weren't his 22 sacks legitimate? Or do you have some other BS excuse for him last year?
                          Or should all records in sports be gotten through legitimate play on the filed in attempts to win games?
                          I agree with nearly everything you have said so far on this thread.

                          But you do lose quite a bit of credibility when you revert to the "EVERYBODY WAS DOING IT" excuse to argue against his point about Gastineau.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by njg85m View Post
                            I agree with nearly everything you have said so far on this thread.

                            But you do lose quite a bit of credibility when you revert to the "EVERYBODY WAS DOING IT" excuse to argue against his point about Gastineau.
                            Well put it this way, word is that the entire Pittsburgh defense was juicing in the 70's. It wasn't against the rules. Its just what people did. The reality is that today players are bigger and stronger because of modern training and suppliments. So its really a moot point. Since early on, players have been seeking any advantage they can get away with. Its human nature 101. I'm not going to get all pissy about it. If we did, everything anybody ever did on any field would come in question. Athletes have been popping pills and getting shot up, legit or not forever.
                            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                              Come on. The O linemen he was playing against were also juicing. EVERYBODY juiced back then. And anyway..who gives a ****. Its the principle. Or is it your view that Strahan and Farve were just fixing it for the love of a game to get your villain, Gastineau off the record book?

                              But what about Jared Allen? Should he have rigged it last year to get the record? Is that OK with you? Weren't his 22 sacks legitimate? Or do you have some other BS excuse for him last year?
                              Or should all records in sports be gotten through legitimate play on the filed in attempts to win games?
                              Saying everyone was juicing is ridiculous, if you want to say many players in that era were then I would agree. So are you saying Favre and Strahan secretly spoke to each other during a tv timeout and made the plan to have a gimme sack? Come on... Favre gave it to him from what we see on tv, but let's not jump the gun and act like Strahan asked for the favor. Will you feel better if I buy you a Jared Allen jersey enclosed with a laminated letter written in crayon for the official sack record?

                              Giants fan since the early 80s

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X