Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM Jerry Reese Praises Rookie QBs, But Wonders If League Will Catch Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GM Jerry Reese Praises Rookie QBs, But Wonders If League Will Catch Up

    http://www.nj.com/giants/team/135731...es-rookie.html

    "Giants GM Jerry Reese praised an excellent class of rookie QBs that includes the playoffs-bound Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson. But he also wonders if they'll be as successful next year. "Just like all rookies, after the league gets a playbook on these guys, it will be a little bit more difficult for them moving forward," Reese said on WFAN yesterday. "Just like (Carolina's) Cam Newton, nobody could stop him last year, and he struggled a little bit (this year) because every team got a playbook on him. (Opponents know) 'OK, This is what this guy is, this is what he can do,' so when teams get a playbook on you, this is the pros, these guys can counter and try to take some things away that you like. But it’s good for the league to have these young quarterbacks, and it makes the brand even greater to have these young guys in the playoffs." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    Yeah but how will they do for my fantasy team

    Comment


    • #3
      I wonder if Perry Fewell will catch up to them.
      Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
        I wonder if Perry Fewell will catch up to them.
        It looks that he will. He is noticing them.

        Comment


        • #5
          We need to draft or otherwise acquire an all-around DE to start opposite JPP who can stop the run to the outside. Osi was so non-existent vs that. Hell, even Tuck would have been a better choice as a run-stopper (if only because he didn't get into the backfield much, he wouldn't overpursue)... Teams were running on osi pretty reliably all season.

          I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

          Comment


          • #6
            Doesn't matter if the league catches up. It's whether the Giants can catch up. We all hope they do.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
              I wonder if Perry Fewell will catch up to them.
              it make take a few seasons for him to catch up. Fewell works by trial and error

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                We need to draft or otherwise acquire an all-around DE to start opposite JPP who can stop the run to the outside. Osi was so non-existent vs that. Hell, even Tuck would have been a better choice as a run-stopper (if only because he didn't get into the backfield much, he wouldn't overpursue)... Teams were running on osi pretty reliably all season.
                yup. we're pretty much half way there in being able to stop rg3 personnel wise which is way better than trying to rely solely on scheme. of course the scheme has to be effective, but having 2 de's with JPPs athleticism pretty much cancels out RG3s athleticism. We'd need an additional DT probably too...but yeah, get another athletic DE, and a run stopping DT for when the DE's force RG3 to hand it off...

                Comment


                • #9
                  He should worry about how the league has caught up to his own quarterback.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                    http://www.nj.com/giants/team/135731...es-rookie.html

                    "Giants GM Jerry Reese praised an excellent class of rookie QBs that includes the playoffs-bound Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson. But he also wonders if they'll be as successful next year. "Just like all rookies, after the league gets a playbook on these guys, it will be a little bit more difficult for them moving forward," Reese said on WFAN yesterday. "Just like (Carolina's) Cam Newton, nobody could stop him last year, and he struggled a little bit (this year) because every team got a playbook on him. (Opponents know) 'OK, This is what this guy is, this is what he can do,' so when teams get a playbook on you, this is the pros, these guys can counter and try to take some things away that you like. But it’s good for the league to have these young quarterbacks, and it makes the brand even greater to have these young guys in the playoffs." Read more...
                    It's good to hear Reese say the same thing I've been thinking (or hoping) about RG3.
                    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

                    "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                      We need to draft or otherwise acquire an all-around DE to start opposite JPP who can stop the run to the outside. Osi was so non-existent vs that. Hell, even Tuck would have been a better choice as a run-stopper (if only because he didn't get into the backfield much, he wouldn't overpursue)... Teams were running on osi pretty reliably all season.
                      +1

                      good linebackers and very good DEs who can stop the run.

                      all this hoopla about RGIII is mostly warranted, but at the end of the day if you can stop the run you can take away most of their offensive advantage. When morris can cram it up your gut for a 6 yard avg, you don't have a hope in hell of stopping that offense.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                        It's good to hear Reese say the same thing I've been thinking (or hoping) about RG3.
                        same, but i'm worried because shanahan's offensive system coupled with a far more mature and intelligent QB (at least from a fan's distance) has me worried that RGIII won't come down to earth next season either.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Their defense will also get better next year with two star players returning.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
                            Their defense will also get better next year with two star players returning.
                            It sucks that our division rivals has excellent linebackers yet we have none. The Skins have Orakpo, Cowboys have Ware.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think Newton is gonna make some real strides next year. Panthers need to stay smart and realize that they won't be doing their franchise QB any favors if they become unstable and fire coaches every year.
                              My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X