Should have taken a chance on Vontaze Burfict.... :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should have taken a chance on Vontaze Burfict.... :(

Would of got such a huge steal.... never understood why we would shy away from players with character issues as we have the coaching staff and leadership to "right them"

Hindsight is always 20/20 However whenever a guy with potential like that drops so low I feel we should grab them everytime with the stable organization we have. Instead of picking a huge project that likely won't amount to much.
    "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

He's not too shabby but let's not act like the kid is a beast or anything. Well, anyone playing next to Maulaluga will look like a stud.

Comment

This season it will be Tyrann Mathieu, who I I really like and want

Comment

so many late round picks turn into crap, wich is why taking a chance on a guy like Burfict in the 6th or 7th is the right thing to do....
        I believe in taking BPA,especialy late in the draft, no projects..

Comment

Originally posted by myles2424 View Post
          so many late round picks turn into crap, wich is why taking a chance on a guy like Burfict in the 6th or 7th is the right thing to do....
          I believe in taking BPA,especialy late in the draft, no projects..
          Exactly.... especially with our organization.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
            He's not too shabby but let's not act like the kid is a beast or anything. Well, anyone playing next to Maulaluga will look like a stud.
            Let's not act like he wouldn't be a WELCOME addition to our weak LB corps lol

Comment

Lets be clear here - Burfict was a monster in high school and flashed some great talent in college. He was a NIGHTMARE mentally and then got the label (partially from mayock shockingly) that he was undiscplined in his game too. Not sure i agreed with him. But this guy fell from 1st rounder to undrafted - thats unreal. But i simply can't fault the gmen for passing on a known headcase. Now hindsight is 20 20, and enigma id argue he is in fact looking beastly - he had 20 tackles last week and as a rookie has been very good starting - thats rare for a rookie. Look the gmen went this route with austin(off field issues) and AB - sometimes it pans out - sometimes you end up with pacman jones (good and bad).

Comment

Seriously, for once, upgrade the linebacker positions this year, no more cheap free agents or 5th round picks.

Comment

Let's just wait a little longer before placing the crown on his head. He's certainly done better than I expected but you don't think it helps slightly to have Geno Atkins in front of you or one of the worst MLBs next to him to boost his tackles?

Comment

Originally posted by dave56dj View Post
                    Lets be clear here - Burfict was a monster in high school and flashed some great talent in college. He was a NIGHTMARE mentally and then got the label (partially from mayock shockingly) that he was undiscplined in his game too. Not sure i agreed with him. But this guy fell from 1st rounder to undrafted - thats unreal. But i simply can't fault the gmen for passing on a known headcase. Now hindsight is 20 20, and enigma id argue he is in fact looking beastly - he had 20 tackles last week and as a rookie has been very good starting - thats rare for a rookie. Look the gmen went this route with austin(off field issues) and AB - sometimes it pans out - sometimes you end up with pacman jones (good and bad).
                    How can you justify not bringing in a guy with that much talent in say a round 6 or 7? Much less not taking him an an UDFA.

Just sucks because I want some damn LBers...... it's painful remembering our physical defense of old which revolved around our dominating LB corps....

Comment

I have absolutely no problem with not taking a chance on him. He was an out of shape bum who had horrible interviews and his tape his senior year was awful.

Him not getting drafted may have been the wake up call he needed

But I for one would never take the chance on a player like that. There are too many good personality type players out there to start dealing with poor ones

Comment

I guess what slip said and what i just stated - kid was beyond a head case. Also I dont understand your point - i mean every team in NFL passed and justified it 7 times over. Now you are trying some revisionist history. We can do this with so many players - it happened for a reason. In his first year burfict has looked great but does this mean he will be clean for his career who knows. He fell for a reason, cincy took a gamble and won - kudos to them.
                        Last edited by dave56dj; 01-05-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
                          Would of got such a huge steal.... never understood why we would shy away from players with character issues as we have the coaching staff and leadership to "right them"

Hindsight is always 20/20 However whenever a guy with potential like that drops so low I feel we should grab them everytime with the stable organization we have. Instead of picking a huge project that likely won't amount to much.
                          Giants took a chance on Will Hill who has character issues but he always played hard. Burfict played like he just didn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                            I have absolutely no problem with not taking a chance on him. He was an out of shape bum who had horrible interviews and his tape his senior year was awful.

Him not getting drafted may have been the wake up call he needed

But I for one would never take the chance on a player like that. There are too many good personality type players out there to start dealing with poor ones
                            Thing is we have a great organization to straighten these players out and turn them into something special.

I would always probably 8/10 take a player like that in the last 2 rounds unless their character is just despicable.

Comment

He was fairly despicable and did we stop plax from shooting himself. The guy helped win a championship so not best example but he derailed 08 postseason too. Lt ran amuck - hamitlon had issues and many others. Theres only so much you can do with some guys. Again he was passed on for a reason and all 31 teams are probably wondering why they didnt gamble but they know why and all you can do is tip your hat to marvin lewis and the bengals and move on. Gmen take gambles too - hill and ab but perhaps burfict didnt seem like a guy who was sorry - in fact all reports indicated he did not at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X