Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bye bye safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
    This is not true. You can hit a defenseless receiver in the chest area or below with your shoulder. You can't lead with your helmet and you can't hit above the chest. The smarter safeties are doing it and breaking up passes. The stupid ones are still getting 15 yard penalties.
    A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.

    Technically you can call the penalty on a hit anywhere on the receiver as long as he is defenseless until he has become a runner, hence football move of some sort.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by laylow28 View Post
      I think KP is gonna get more $$$$ elsewhere. We already got 2 younger safety without all the injuries to replace him.
      KP is great when healthy and the other teams will also see that he loses a lot of value due to his health concerns...like RB Fred Jackson in Buffalo, awesome talent but very breakable...I don't think KP will command a big check because of it. He may re-sign with us for considerably less to stay with his team. He wont get top safety money from anyone.

      Comment


      • #18
        Tough to say that hungrryyy - while i agree with your assessment considering a degenerative knee injury with teams like the raiders (remember gibril) and other horrifying gm's there is always the chance someone jumps at him.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by dave56dj View Post
          A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.

          Technically you can call the penalty on a hit anywhere on the receiver as long as he is defenseless until he has become a runner, hence football move of some sort.
          This is not true. Here is the rule:

          (b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
          (1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and
          (2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.”

          Comment


          • #20
            This comes straight from the nfl - not sure why you think it isnt true.

            Today the NFL’s communications department attempted to clear things up, with e-mails to the media and Twitter messages pointing to the exact wording of the rules regarding defenseless players.

            The relevant portion of the rule is:

            “It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
            (a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]
            (2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by dave56dj View Post
              This comes straight from the nfl - not sure why you think it isnt true.

              Today the NFL’s communications department attempted to clear things up, with e-mails to the media and Twitter messages pointing to the exact wording of the rules regarding defenseless players.

              The relevant portion of the rule is:

              “It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
              (a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]
              (2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player
              What I posted comes straight form the NFL office too. You are only posting half of the rule defining what a defenseless player is. You are leaving out the part I posted which defines the area of a defenseless receiver you can and can't hit.

              Comment


              • #22
                The part I am highlighting makes it clear they can call a penalty on a hit to the shoulder if the receiver is deemed defenseless.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Cloud57 View Post
                  IMO safety is not a difficult position
                  there are few more silly statements made on these boards

                  .....very very few

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by dave56dj View Post
                    The part I am highlighting makes it clear they can call a penalty on a hit to the shoulder if the receiver is deemed defenseless.
                    Again, this is incorrect. I'm not sure why you are not reading the rule correctly. A defenseless receiver can be hit as long as it is not with the crown of the helmet and the hit is not to the head or neck area. It's right there in the rule as I posted. A shoulder hit below the head and neck area is legal to a defenseless receiver.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                      there are few more silly statements made on these boards

                      .....very very few
                      We could count them on no hands
                      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
                        Again, this is incorrect. I'm not sure why you are not reading the rule correctly. A defenseless receiver can be hit as long as it is not with the crown of the helmet and the hit is not to the head or neck area. It's right there in the rule as I posted. A shoulder hit below the head and neck area is legal to a defenseless receiver.
                        Sorry but you are wrong.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Will Hill is a freak, he's gonna be a stud for us and I expect massive things if he keeps his head on straight. Fast and knows how to cover and hit. Exceptional player. Now that he's learned our playbook, he'll have a full OTA and training camp under his belt and I expect to see the type of player we saw early in his Florida career. Has potential to be a top Safety in the LEAGUE.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
                            Again, this is incorrect. I'm not sure why you are not reading the rule correctly. A defenseless receiver can be hit as long as it is not with the crown of the helmet and the hit is not to the head or neck area. It's right there in the rule as I posted. A shoulder hit below the head and neck area is legal to a defenseless receiver.
                            Originally posted by TroyArcher View Post
                            Sorry but you are wrong.
                            moosedrool is correct. As dave56dj stated, “It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture..."

                            The "unnecessary" part occurs when the defender uses his helmet or puts a blow to the receiver's head. A shoulder hit to the midsection is perfectly legal and very difficult to achieve in my opinion.

                            It is a hard call to make as well, and referees seem to be erring on the side of safety.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X