Bye bye safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye bye safety

The NFL has made this position very very different then it once was and very hard to play. The last line of defense was always a spot where you could would and should remove a player from the ball by laying him out. The defenseless receiver rule has almost made this impossible. A safety now has to wait till a guy makes a football move before hitting him, an almost impossible decision to make in the heat of the moment. Therefore the spot is now really not a place for guys who lay the wood anymore. Its better for the ballhawks with great speed who can protect the backend with sideline to sideline speed excellent ball skills, great football awareness, and tackler.

I think KP fits the mold but the degenerative knee is an issue. Hill can lay the wood, be interesting to see how he does in deep coverage which he didnt see much of this year. saw a bit of nickel (mayb15 snaps) and can play around the box, definitely has value. Brown can ball hawk but did give up the back end a few times and Rolle is better around LOS.

It may be time to draft a kid who can be a center fielder while the other guys hunt for the ball and play the LOS and run.

IMO safety is not a difficult position, you don't need to pay a guy a ton of money for that position.

Comment

Thankfully your opinion is not shared by Jerry or TC - do you remember the cc brown, johnson days.

Be sure that protecting the back end in a very very pass heavy league is very important and not easy to play in any way. The giants gave up far to many big plays this year and need better play from the safety spot. Part of the problem is they have great LOS safeties but not the coverage guys that the spot is calling for these days.

Comment

I still remember CC Brown blaming the NY media for his unsuccessful stint with the Giants.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

Comment

If we do not resign KP, I think its a clear sign the front office sees Stevie Brown & Will Hill as capable replacements.
          Cant see us letting him go then bringing someone else, via GA or draft

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud57 View Post
            IMO safety is not a difficult position, you don't need to pay a guy a ton of money for that position.
            CC Brown lol
            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by GMAN2K9 View Post
              If we do not resign KP, I think its a clear sign the front office sees Stevie Brown & Will Hill as capable replacements.
              Cant see us letting him go then bringing someone else, via GA or draft
              It all comes down to money, always does. Will and Stevie are capable in there with Rolle. We need to reload the OL and find a LB. KP may be a casualty but I know we are better when he is in there and most of all healthy. Gmen know more than we do about his health.
              No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by dave56dj View Post
                The defenseless receiver rule has almost made this impossible. A safety now has to wait till a guy makes a football move before hitting him, an almost impossible decision to make in the heat of the moment.
                This is not true. You can hit a defenseless receiver in the chest area or below with your shoulder. You can't lead with your helmet and you can't hit above the chest. The smarter safeties are doing it and breaking up passes. The stupid ones are still getting 15 yard penalties.

Comment

I think KP is gonna get more $$$$ elsewhere. We already got 2 younger safety without all the injuries to replace him.
                  We Want 5!

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud57 View Post
                    Well thank god your opinon doesnt matter...

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                      CC Brown lol
                      Vet min, boom, solved.
                      My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
                        This is not true. You can hit a defenseless receiver in the chest area or below with your shoulder. You can't lead with your helmet and you can't hit above the chest. The smarter safeties are doing it and breaking up passes. The stupid ones are still getting 15 yard penalties.
                        if its a jarring hit......its a penalty. That is stupid, because the offensive player always tucks his head down..........then whats left...his sneaker?

Comment

Safety IMO is a hard position made ever harder with the new rules. Obviously everyone can't do it or people wouldn't have issues with blown coverages. The safety is usually the guy that tells the DB's what to do in any given situation so they need to be smart, know the playbook and be able to read offenses. They also need the ability to hit, tackle, cover and play in the box. I for one am glad we paid for Rolle because he can do most of those things and has an attitude about him that resinates with the team. He should be wearing a C on his jersey and not Tuck..

Comment

Originally posted by dave56dj View Post
                            The NFL has made this position very very different then it once was and very hard to play. The last line of defense was always a spot where you could would and should remove a player from the ball by laying him out. The defenseless receiver rule has almost made this impossible. A safety now has to wait till a guy makes a football move before hitting him, an almost impossible decision to make in the heat of the moment. Therefore the spot is now really not a place for guys who lay the wood anymore. Its better for the ballhawks with great speed who can protect the backend with sideline to sideline speed excellent ball skills, great football awareness, and tackler.

I think KP fits the mold but the degenerative knee is an issue. Hill can lay the wood, be interesting to see how he does in deep coverage which he didnt see much of this year. saw a bit of nickel (mayb15 snaps) and can play around the box, definitely has value. Brown can ball hawk but did give up the back end a few times and Rolle is better around LOS.

It may be time to draft a kid who can be a center fielder while the other guys hunt for the ball and play the LOS and run.
                            If the Giants want a safety this is a good draft for 1. Reminds me of the draft where they selected Chad Jones, Lots of quality depth. I think if they wait 1 of the good safeties could fall into their lap in same spot where they got jones. I think the best deep safety is Baccari Rambo and he could slip because of character flaws

Comment

I'm not sure KP will get the money people expect, his degenerative knee issues will likely cost him a big contract!

Comment

Working...
                              X