Tired of the pass-blocking argument against Wilson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of the pass-blocking argument against Wilson

I don't think Wilson was as bad in pass-protection as some of his critics maintained, especially given how terribly Bradshaw performed in the blowout loss to the Ravens that put this team on playoff life support.

Further, if you look around the NFL, some of the best running backs in the league are not particularly strong in pass protection.

Some examples: Adrian Peterson; Ray Rice; LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...running-backs/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...running-backs/

One thing I noticed.....Kregg Lumpkin was ranked among the worst in the NFL in 2011.....which makes Killdrive's decision to plug him in over Wilson against Atlanta even more ludicrous.

As I see it, this season was just another year of Gilbride failing to adjust his schemes to suit the personnel. I think privately, Reese is very disappointed in how his draft picks were utilized....the Giants were an offensive no-show in 2 huge games this season (Atlanta and Baltimore).....in each loss, Wilson was one of the only players with a light on....and he was mothballed because of pass protection concerns that I think were overblown.

One more year like 2012, and Gilbride's *** will be on the curb...
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM.
    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Makes no sense. I support Coughlin/Gilbride, but I will never for the life of me understand why we didn't use Wilson more.
    My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Because he fumbled once. Why didn't we hear about his poor blocking until AFTER that fumble? The entire offseason you heard nothing but good things.
      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

You can't simply point to other running backs and say they also can't block without including how effective their offensive lines are in protection. If Eli was playing behind the line that included O'Hara, Seubert, and McKenzie, Wilson's ability to hold his blocks and make his reads would be less of an issue.

When Lumpkin was in, he ran the ball effectively. I didn't see that as a "replacing" of Wilson but a need to get another RB some playing time.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
          I don't think Wilson was as bad in pass-protection as some of his critics maintained, especially given how terribly Bradshaw performed in the blowout loss to the Ravens that put this team on playoff life support.

Further, if you look around the NFL, some of the best running backs in the league are not particularly strong in pass protection.

Some examples: Adrian Peterson; Ray Rice; LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson

[URL]http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/30/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-running

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...running-backs/

One thing I noticed.....Kregg Lumpkin was ranked among the worst in the NFL in 2011.....which makes Killdrive's decision to plug him in over Wilson against Atlanta even more ludicrous.

As I see it, this season was just another year of Gilbride failing to adjust his schemes to suit the personnel. I think privately, Reese is very disappointed in how his draft picks were utilized.

One more year like 2012, and Gilbride's *** will be on the curb.
          Wilson was horrible at pass blocking and almost got Eli killed on different occasions....he had better learn how to block, and not fumble or he will never be a starter.

Comment

Well the season is over so you shouldnt hear the excuse much more.

Wilson should see the field a great deal next year and i wouldve liked more pt this year as well, but those guys are watching practices and clearly were displeased with something they saw.

As for lumpkin as the shotgun back i think thats more of a scheme thing. Even when ab was the guy alone they often put in ware as the third down back and have been switching it up for years like that. Im not sure if its to feed less playbook to the feature or simply to give some spells to the feature or b/c they believe guys like ware and lumpkin are better receivers out of the backfield. Lumpkin had shown pass catching ability in the past. Not that wilson couldn't have taken advantage of that opportunity. Still i think its clear d showed he needs the rock more often and will see it next year.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              You can't simply point to other running backs and say they also can't block without including how effective their offensive lines are in protection. If Eli was playing behind the line that included O'Hara, Seubert, and McKenzie, Wilson's ability to hold his blocks and make his reads would be less of an issue.

When Lumpkin was in, he ran the ball effectively. I didn't see that as a "replacing" of Wilson but a need to get another RB some playing time.
              I respectivefully disagree.....I see other teams taking their running backs and using them to run the ball or else neutralize a blitzer by committing them to cover the RB in the flank. Gilbride will not do that....and opposing DCs know it.

Lumpkin fumbled late in the Atlanta game.
              "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligans View Post
                Wilson was horrible at pass blocking and almost got Eli killed on different occasions....he had better learn how to block, and not fumble or he will never be a starter.
                The fumbling issue has resolved itself. His pass blocking has been an issue. We'll see how much his playing this season has improved that category next season.
                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

I respectivefully disagree.....I see other teams taking their running backs and using them to run the ball or else neutralize a blitzer by committing them to cover the RB in the flank. Gilbride will not do that....and opposing DCs know it.

Lumpkin fumbled late in the Atlanta game.
                  We just disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                    Because he fumbled once. Why didn't we hear about his poor blocking until AFTER that fumble? The entire offseason you heard nothing but good things.
                    This is entirely untrue - mayock even mentioned at the draft that he came from less of a pro style offense and was often taken out in obvious pass situations.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                      We just disagree.
                      True.....it's you v. me and Jerry Reese

Comment

Is there a lack of communication between the coaches and college scouting department? David Wilson just doesn't seem like a fit for a Gilbride type of offense and the coaching staff was hesitant to use him unless injuries occurred after that 1st Dallas game.

Comment

Reese wants his guys to play every year and makes similar statements - that said all 53 are his guys with exceptions of some vets and even then he was head of scouting and had a great deal to do with draft.

Enigma im not sure there is any disconnect or that wilson is not a gilbride guy.

Comment

True.....it's you v. me and Jerry Reese
                            I will defer to the organization 100% of the time. I KNOW I have no experience in NFL coaching, playing, etc. We see these players for some part of 60 minutes on 16 days during the regular season. The coaching staff sees them a smidge more often. Like most fans, I have questions about plays called, passes dropped, blocking and tackling errors, etc. I can "see" those things for myself.

But when it comes to coaching, I just have to defer.

We are all disappointed in the results this year.

Comment

Originally posted by dave56dj View Post
                              Enigma im not sure there is any disconnect or that wilson is not a gilbride guy.
                              Every FO is different and we all know the Giants are old school is different in that regard. "Coaches coach, GMs manage". What I'm driving at is there a moment before the draft where we go over with the coaches on which players they might like coming out or is there blind faith/lack of time because our coaches are too busy doing their own thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X