Best College Football Team vs Worst NFL Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fan For 45 yrs View Post
    Just loooked it up/ It was a series that was played from the mid 1930's till 1975. The pros went 31-9. They played the game at Soldier's Field in Chicago at the start of each year
    Against one's natural intuition, and maybe even against normal logic, it's "Soldier Field", not "Soldier's Field".

Comment

'Bama gets blown out. Just use your brain. First of all saying 'Bama has "NFL level talent across the board" is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Likely a minority of this whole team even plays for any length of time in the NFL. Second of all, the WORST NFL talent across the board is easily as good as the average college player. Yes there are exceptions....but name about 53 other Victor Cruz type players out there. Bet you can't. The difference between a 20 year old LB and a 30 year old LB who has been lifting and playing for years in the NFL is the difference between a RB being tackled and one being crippled. I don't think this should even be a discussion.
      Just when I don't think it can get any worse, I think of you Ray. I have been to the abyss....thank you for helping me stay positive.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
        Just to be clear in the event there is any confusion: Alabama is the ONLY team I would even entertain to have a chance against an NFL team. Oregon's spread offense is cute and all but their defense would get demolished. I've also mentioned that NFL rules wouldn't give Alabama a chance either because of how defensive back/receiver play works versus college. Using college rules and one of the best college teams in recent years against arguably one of the worst NFL teams...I think it would be a lot closer than you guys expect.
        Enigma makes an important point. Most of the time it would be no contest, but the situation here is an unusual one. The law of averages can't be relied on to gurarantee an Oakland victory. Playing under college rules, a college team this unusually good just might beat a pro team this bad.

Comment

NFL players have been training for years and years. They are experienced and the game is much MUCH faster, and much more complex. You really think Bama is going to fool an NFL team? lol.
          Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Astorian View Post
            Enigma makes an important point. Most of the time it would be no contest, but the situation here is an unusual one. The law of averages can't be relied on to gurarantee an Oakland victory. Playing under college rules, a college team this unusually good just might beat a pro team this bad.
            No, they wouldn't. The pro players would be that much better then. Any rule change that might help the college players would only help the pros more.

Comment

My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan For 45 yrs View Post
                Years ago the NFL pre-season began with the NFL champ agains a group of College all- stars. Once in a while the college kids would win but the Pros would win almost every year. I understand it was a championship team against all stars but almost any pro team would destroy any college team 8-9 times out of 10.
                Never heard of this until now and it's interesting to actually look at the results from all of these games. The last competitive game was the 1974 Superbowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers going against the College All-Stars in 1975. The Steelers won by 21-14.

Comment

Originally posted by Drez View Post
                  No, they wouldn't. The pro players would be that much better then. Any rule change that might help the college players would only help the pros more.
                  I specified college rules so as not to penalize college players, not to give them an advantage. Pro rules would unfairly handicap college players.

Comment

Never heard of this until now and it's interesting to actually look at the results from all of these games. The last competitive game was the 1974 Superbowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers going against the College All-Stars in 1975. The Steelers won by 21-14.
                    And we know how hard pro players play in exhibition games.

Comment

And we know how hard pro players play in exhibition games.
                      Do you have a source that specifies how much effort they put into the game?

Comment

Do you have a source that specifies how much effort they put into the game?
                        Perhaps an unfair comparison between today's athletes compared to those of yesteryear, but c'mon, you've seen the Pro Bowl and preseason games, no?

Comment

Perhaps an unfair comparison between today's athletes compared to those of yesteryear, but c'mon, you've seen the Pro Bowl and preseason games, no?
                          No I'll admit it's quite possible since the games were for charity that they weren't exactly full of 100% effort but I'd say this game is more credible than the 1930 game you cited.

Comment

I don't know about that. Chiefs, Jaguars, Cardinals are horrible at attacking through the air. Cards would probably win just because of their defense but I don't see how the Raiders would get off the field against Alabama's ground game. Considering Alabama is on the verge of building the best "college dynasty" in history, it's actually a valid discussion to wonder how they would do against the bottom 5 teams. Anything outside of that though and I'd predict Alabama loses handily.
                            Alabama would get murdered in all facets of the game by any NFL team.
                            Lowest score would be about
                            NFL team 56
                            Alabama 0

This isn't even up for debate really...
                            Last edited by Giants5699; 01-08-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

The worst O-line and D-line in the NFL is better than the best college team's o-line and d-line. Richard Seymore would have a field day against Bama. So would Carson Palmer as he would have 10 minutes to throw on each play. Darren McFadden would probably put up 200+ yards. Hell, every receiver on Oakland is exponentially better than the Bama's corners. Oakland 105 Bama 0

The Cardinals strategy would be "throw it to Fitz on every play". He will catch 9 out of 10 balls against any college CB, and the Cardinals O-line is better than any college D-line. Same with all of the other receivers on Arizona. Arizona 70 Bama 0

The Browns would simply put in McCoy or Weeden who have talent around them that is equal or better to what they had in college, though the defense would overwhelm Bama on all levels. Cleveland 56 Bama 0

Comment

Alabama would get blown out by the 01 Hurricanes or the 04 Trojans and most assuredly would get destroyed by the Chiefs. That team doesn't even know how to throw the football and they do not play a good pass defense. They are dominating their level of competition simply because they're bigger, faster and stronger than most but that doesn't matter in the nfl where everyone is big fast and strong and playing in pro style schemes light years ahead of Sabans faux pro defenses. There's a reason Saban couldn't handle the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                                X