Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets talk X's and O's? A page from Gilbrides playbook.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lets talk X's and O's? A page from Gilbrides playbook.



    take a close look at the play above, and visualize 3rd & 4 with cruz lined up in the slot, nicks wide left, randel wide right and Bennett lined up as the tight end while david wilson is in the back field.

    If you look at this play you will notice that both nicks and cruz each have 2 options on how to run their routes depending on what the defense is giving them. Obviously if cruz notices the defender or defense is playing the deep ball, he is going to break off of his wheel route and hook back inside.

    Nicks runs a similar route inside, but can turn it into a dig, or just fly straight depending on what he sees in the defense. The other routes are pretty straight forward and basic.

    I have 2 questions.

    1. For arguments sake, lets assume that both nicks and cruz breaks off of the deep pattern because the defense is talking away the deep ball. If Eli then decides to throw it to the tight end who is running a deep post, and the play fails, would you blame gilbride for going deep on a 3rd and short?

    2. How many offenses in the NFL dont allow their receivers to change their patterns depending on what the defense is giving them?
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 01-09-2013, 10:05 PM.
    Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

    ~Big Mike~


  • #2
    How would we know this is indeed "a page from Gilbride's Playbook"?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mod_C View Post
      How would we know this is indeed "a page from Gilbride's Playbook"?

      http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ew-york-giants


      sorry i didnt originally post the link. Just scroll down to the play and it states so.
      Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

      ~Big Mike~

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Like I've always said, Gilbride doesn't tell Eli where to throw the ball. I'm sure 95% of the time there are short and intermediate routes that Eli opts not to throw (for whatever reason that may be, receivers are covered, already looked off them by the time they did uncover, etc...)

          However, they are like to complain that a 10 yard route is too deep anyways.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, it depends on why the play failed. Was it because of the defense or the receiver dropping the ball? Maybe it was Eli's pass not accurate enough Once we have the information, then we can say.
            Last edited by Diamondring; 01-09-2013, 08:23 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Drez View Post
              Like I've always said, Gilbride doesn't tell Eli where to throw the ball. I'm sure 95% of the time there are short and intermediate routes that Eli opts not to throw (for whatever reason that may be, receivers are covered, already looked off them by the time they did uncover, etc...)

              However, they are like to complain that a 10 yard route is too deep anyways.
              In a sense 3 out of those 5 routes are short.Nick first has to run a slant and id be willing to bet eli can get the ball to him there if he notices the defender is playing a little off.
              Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

              ~Big Mike~

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Marvelousmik View Post


                take a close look at the play above, and visualize 3rd & 4 with cruz lined up in the slot, nicks wide left, randelo wide right and Bennett lined up as the tight end while david wilson is in the back field.

                If you look at this play you will notice that both nicks and cruz each have 2 options on how to run their routes depending on what the defense is giving them. Obviously if cruz notices the defender or defense is playing the deep ball, he is going to break off of his wheel route and hook back inside.

                Nicks runs a similar route inside, but can turn it into a flag, or just fly straight depending on what he sees in the defense. The other routes are pretty straight forward and basic.

                I have 2 questions.

                1. For arguments sake, lets assume that both nicks and cruz breaks off of the deep pattern because the defense is talking away the deep ball. If Eli then decides to throw it to the tight end who is running a deep post, and the play fails, would you blame gilbride for going deep on a 3rd and short?

                2. How many offenses in the NFL dont allow their receivers to change their patterns depending on what the defense is giving them?
                This doesn't look like a play from madden. I'm confused

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Marvelousmik View Post


                  take a close look at the play above, and visualize 3rd & 4 with cruz lined up in the slot, nicks wide left, randel wide right and Bennett lined up as the tight end while david wilson is in the back field.

                  If you look at this play you will notice that both nicks and cruz each have 2 options on how to run their routes depending on what the defense is giving them. Obviously if cruz notices the defender or defense is playing the deep ball, he is going to break off of his wheel route and hook back inside.

                  Nicks runs a similar route inside, but can turn it into a dig, or just fly straight depending on what he sees in the defense. The other routes are pretty straight forward and basic.

                  I have 2 questions.

                  1. For arguments sake, lets assume that both nicks and cruz breaks off of the deep pattern because the defense is talking away the deep ball. If Eli then decides to throw it to the tight end who is running a deep post, and the play fails, would you blame gilbride for going deep on a 3rd and short?

                  2. How many offenses in the NFL dont allow their receivers to change their patterns depending on what the defense is giving them?
                  I like going deep on 3rd and short especailly to the TE that can use their size advantage again any DB if there is good coverage. We have an option route offense. The play was designed so there is always at least one route going deep to stretch the defense regardless of what coverage they call. This system that we like to crap on is derived from the Houston Oilers old run and shoot. It works when your receivers can consistently get open one on one. That was not the case this year due to injury of Nicks. I also think the league made an adjustment to our offense. I think Gilbride will make an adjustment in the offseason and throw in some new wrinkles. It's his running plays that I question the most.
                  Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                  http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Indeed, his Running plays annoy me more so then his passing plays,



                    it also depends on his progressions, it also depends on if Eli sees the same coverage and is on the same page as the receivers, also the lack of Check downs, many times Eli has forced a ball to someone

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If eli would take off and run more these plays would work better. They would also work better if the RB had something more creative to do that go out into the flat. Thats are problem I think Defences do not really have to account for Eli or the back on most plays and then its 11 on 9
                      Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by appodictic View Post
                        If eli would take off and run more these plays would work better. They would also work better if the RB had something more creative to do that go out into the flat. Thats are problem I think Defences do not really have to account for Eli or the back on most plays and then its 11 on 9
                        OMFG
                        My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah, they don't account for Eli. What a statue. Guys like him, and Peyton, and Tom Terrific, they all hinder their offense for not demanding to be accounted for...
                          My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by appodictic View Post
                            If eli would take off and run more these plays would work better. They would also work better if the RB had something more creative to do that go out into the flat. Thats are problem I think Defences do not really have to account for Eli or the back on most plays and then its 11 on 9
                            oy vey.

                            Must do alot of this madden?
                            Stop Booing Tiki Barber.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                              I like going deep on 3rd and short especailly to the TE that can use their size advantage again any DB if there is good coverage. We have an option route offense. The play was designed so there is always at least one route going deep to stretch the defense regardless of what coverage they call. This system that we like to crap on is derived from the Houston Oilers old run and shoot. It works when your receivers can consistently get open one on one. That was not the case this year due to injury of Nicks. I also think the league made an adjustment to our offense. I think Gilbride will make an adjustment in the offseason and throw in some new wrinkles. It's his running plays that I question the most.
                              Great post.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X