Eli goes from $9.6M in 2012 to $20.85M in 2013 against cap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
    This is actually not true. Base salary is mostly meaningless to a player. Eli could get cut tomorrow and get nothing.

A new contract would convert his base salary into a signing bonus which is guaranteed.
    The chances of them releasing Eli or extending him for two or three years and not giving him one more dime seem pretty remote to me. I also think Reese would be cutting his professional throat to guarantee that kind of money for any player. He will figure it out.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
      Base Salary S. Bonus Misc. Bonus Cap Hit
      2009 7,500,000 3,100,000 3,100,000 13,700,000
      2010 6,500,000 2,600,000 3,000,000 12,100,000
      2011 8,500,000 2,600,000 3,000,000 14,100,000
      2012 1,750,000 2,600,000 5,250,000 9,600,000
      2013 13,000,000 2,600,000 5,250,000 20,850,000
      2014 15,150,000 - 5,250,000 20,400,000
      2015 17,000,000 - 2,750,000 19,750,000
      2016 UFA
      http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning/

---

Major adjustments are needed if this team plans on doing anything in the next couple of seasons.
      Thats meaningless as the Giants will almost certainly ask him to restructure it to give them more cap space..... as they've done every season since he signed the deal.. Much ado about nothing.
      "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
        The chances of them releasing Eli or extending him for two or three years and not giving him one more dime seem pretty remote to me. I also think Reese would be cutting his professional throat to guarantee that kind of money for any player. He will figure it out.
        But it would be adding actual money. Those are Eli's cap hit. His actual salary is far less because he took a lot of it up front and in restructures.

An extension would solve all those problems. Lower cap hit, add actual money for Eli, and keep him on the giants longer.

That's really the only option they have. Even if Eli said he would take less money that wouldn't lower the cap hit

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post
          Thats meaningless as the Giants will almost certainly ask him to restructure it to give them more cap space..... as they've done every season since he signed the deal.. Much ado about nothing.
          Eli only restructured once on 2012 I believe.
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

• Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
            But it would be adding actual money. Those are Eli's cap hit. His actual salary is far less because he took a lot of it up front and in restructures. An extension would solve all those problems. Lower cap hit, add actual money for Eli, and keep him on the giants longer. That's really the only option they have. Even if Eli said he would take less money that wouldn't lower the cap hit

I don't see how he'd agree to work two more years for the same amount of money but that's what I get for riding the short school bus all those years.

Some other team would gladly take on his contract and Peyton is proof you change teams and thrive.
            Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I don't see how he'd agree to work two more years for the same amount of money but that's what I get for riding the short school bus all those years.

Some other team would gladly take on his contract and Peyton is proof you change teams and thrive.
              That's just it though. It's not the same amount of money.

It would be substantial amounts of new money.

The cap hit is way higher than his actual salary.

Comment

• The Mann deferred his salary, look at the salary that's jumping from 1+ mil to 13+. That's where the increase in the cap comes from. How could you take money that should have been paid already from him. Lets say the company you work for is struggling and Your boss asks to tske 50% of your paycheck, 25% you get in a lump sum and then the other 25% will be added to your salary after year 5. Now in year 4 your coworkers dislike you and gang up to get you fired, or the company thinks they could get a cheaper replacement how would you feel about that 25% that you gave to help your company and now may not get it back. SMH if there is anyone to blame for this mess it is the giants mismanagement.

Comment

And get who??? Eli's importance to this team, just in terms of how well he knows the very complicated Giants' playbook alone, cannot be overstated!
                  You can't just bring anybody in here and expect them to run the offense as well as Eli who had to systematically grow into running it.
                  What credible team would make their franchise QB a salary cap casualty?
                  And don't give me Peyton as an example..... The only reason the Colts cut him loose was because they never thought he would recover from those injuries and ever again be the same QB he had been!
                  Last edited by bigblue58; 01-12-2013, 10:42 AM.
                  "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
                    The Mann deferred his salary, look at the salary that's jumping from 1+ mil to 13+. That's where the increase in the cap comes from. How could you take money that should have been paid already from him. Lets say the company you work for is struggling and Your boss asks to tske 50% of your paycheck, 25% you get in a lump sum and then the other 25% will be added to your salary after year 5. Now in year 4 your coworkers dislike you and gang up to get you fired, or the company thinks they could get a cheaper replacement how would you feel about that 25% that you gave to help your company and now may not get it back. SMH if there is anyone to blame for this mess it is the giants mismanagement.
                    The giants didnt defer anything. Eli restructured. He got a large payment up front (signing bonus) last year, and the salary cap hit from that signing bonus is spread throughout the rest of his contract.

Comment

What happens if Eli suffers a horrific injury to his throwing arm next season? Do the Giants keep for two more years after without a throwing arm? Slip said it simple and best. Restructing is basically converting base salary, which is not guaranteed, to guaranteed money as a signing bonus to reduce the current year's cap hit as the guaranteed money is spread out over the rest of the years of the contract equally. A lot of NFL players simply will not see all the money in their contracts. Teams have the right to cut players and abruptly end their contracts at any time for any or no reason. That's why negotiations almost always stalls over guaranteed money that is paid upfront.

I could offer Antrelle Rolle a 2-year $300 million dollar contract, making him the "highest paid" safety in history and making headlines as well, but the contract is structured so the first year is a $5 million base salary with a $5 million guaranteed signing bonus. Then, the second year would be $290 million in base salary. Lol. Rolle and his agent will understand it is truly just a one-year deal. Player agents are not that stupid.
                      Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Your first sentence is ridiculous because at any moment on any play, that scenario could happen to any top QB in the NFL! You don't make business decisions based on what might happen to a particular player. If you did, every player in the NFL would be signed to 16 game contracts that would have to be renewed every new season, and the Peyton Manning led Colts would still be playing today!

I said they would simply restructure his salary next season 15 posts back! Restructuring to deal with the cap is so common every year it's pointless to even discuss it.

The Giants will get under the cap, their problem is how to deal with 21 free agents!
                        The size of that number seems ridiculous to even my "not too savvy on the salary cap" eyes.
                        Better get familiar with the practice squad roster after the mass exodus of familiar names get jettisoned!!!!!
                        Last edited by bigblue58; 01-12-2013, 11:20 AM.
                        "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

Comment

• Seems excessive, but the salaries seem excessive to me. Well JR get busy and figure this thing out; but from my perspective the next few years will not be pretty!

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post
                            Your first sentence is ridiculous because at any moment on any play, that scenario could happen to any top QB in the NFL! You don't make business decisions based on what might happen to a particular player. If you did, every player in the NFL would be signed to 16 game contracts that would have to be renewed every new season, and the Peyton Manning led Colts would still be playing today!

I said they would simply restructure his salary next season 15 posts back! Restructuring to deal with the cap is so common every year it's pointless to even discuss it.

The Giants will get under the cap, their problem is how to deal with 21 free agents!
                            The size of that number seems ridiculous to even my "not too savvy on the salary cap" eyes.
                            Better get familiar with the practice squad roster after the mass exodus of familiar names get jettisoned!!!!!
                            It's not ridiculous. It's just pointing out a possibility as you stated. You don't make business decision without thinking ahead either. lol If they did another contract restructure, then his cap hit will be bigger for next year and the rest of the years of his contract. It'll just get harder to impossible for the Giants to stay under the cap while keeping and signing good players if they keep restructuring with Eli, which he'll gladly do. The 52 other players on the TEAM also wants to get paid too. You're also omitting the fact that this discussion was created because of the fact that Eli's contract was restructured in the first place. It's not that simple. Otherwise, we'd all be GMs.

Also, 21 free agents is not a problem if you don't plan to re-sign them all. A majority do not want Osi back. I thinking the Giants only re-sign 4-5 at best and the rest will be testing out the FA market.
                            Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 01-12-2013, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
                              The Mann deferred his salary, look at the salary that's jumping from 1+ mil to 13+. That's where the increase in the cap comes from. How could you take money that should have been paid already from him. Lets say the company you work for is struggling and Your boss asks to tske 50% of your paycheck, 25% you get in a lump sum and then the other 25% will be added to your salary after year 5. Now in year 4 your coworkers dislike you and gang up to get you fired, or the company thinks they could get a cheaper replacement how would you feel about that 25% that you gave to help your company and now may not get it back. SMH if there is anyone to blame for this mess it is the giants mismanagement.
                              huh?? lol he just got it in a signing bonus , no sacrifice . and he didnt get any less $$$.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
                                What happens if Eli suffers a horrific injury to his throwing arm next season? Do the Giants keep for two more years after without a throwing arm? Slip said it simple and best. Restructing is basically converting base salary, which is not guaranteed, to guaranteed money as a signing bonus to reduce the current year's cap hit as the guaranteed money is spread out over the rest of the years of the contract equally. A lot of NFL players simply will not see all the money in their contracts. Teams have the right to cut players and abruptly end their contracts at any time for any or no reason. That's why negotiations almost always stalls over guaranteed money that is paid upfront.

I could offer Antrelle Rolle a 2-year $300 million dollar contract, making him the "highest paid" safety in history and making headlines as well, but the contract is structured so the first year is a $5 million base salary with a $5 million guaranteed signing bonus. Then, the second year would be $290 million in base salary. Lol. Rolle and his agent will understand it is truly just a one-year deal. Player agents are not that stupid.

Your first sentence is why they won't make his entire contract guaranteed.

Comment

Working...
                                X