Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think of how bad Tim Lewis & Bill Sheridan were...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think of how bad Tim Lewis & Bill Sheridan were...

... and now wrap your head around the fact that we just had the absolute worst defense in franchise history under Fewell

I'm going to be sick...
    "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

Doesn't anyone think our offenses inability to sustain drives put more pressure on our defense then it could handle in some games. A bunch of times our defense came up with a turnover just so the offense could go three and out and send our defense back on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by KingLurker View Post
      Doesn't anyone think our offenses inability to sustain drives put more pressure on our defense then it could handle in some games. A bunch of times our defense came up with a turnover just so the offense could go three and out and send our defense back on the field.
      Logic doesn't exist on here, so, no.

Comment

How do you blame an offense that scores over 400 points a season for last 6 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Markroman View Post
          How do you blame an offense that scores over 400 points a season for last 6 years?
          There were several games this year (3 I think) in which the offense was unable to find the end zone at all... those game can certainly be look at as losses by the offense. However, a good defense would have kept it competitive, and this defense was unable to do that for the majority of games. So, I guess I am saying I agree with you, blaming the offense for such a poor showing by the defense is ridiculous, both were pretty bad this year.
          My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

Oh my god, get the **** over it. No coaching changes, case close, end of discussion.
            My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Originally posted by KingLurker View Post
              No...you actually have it backwards! It was actually the Defense's inability to get off the field, and keep opponents out of the endzone, that put us so far behind, in so many games, that the Offense was never given a fighting chance to come back in any of them!
              The Offense had an off year, but at least you can see reasons for it......injuries, an aging OL that gave neither protection to Eli or opened holes for the running game, while there is no justifiable argument for the Defense, that couldn't cover, couldn't rush the QB despite being healthier than they'd been in years!
              The fact that Fewell kept his job, only makes you wonder why Sheridan ever lost his.
              Fewell is so bad at DC, that he can't even Defend Coughlin's decision to keep him!!
              Last edited by bigblue58; 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM.
              "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post
                No...you actually have it backwards! It was actually the Defense's inability to get off the field, and keep opponents out of the endzone, that put us so far behind, in so many games, that the Offense was never given a fighting chance to come back in any of them!
                The Offense had an off year, but at least you can see reasons for it......injuries, an aging OL that gave neither protection to Eli or opened holes for the running game, while there is no justifiable argument for the Defense, that couldn't cover, couldn't rush the QB despite being healthier than they'd been in years!
                I think you may be going to far the other way.... just a little. The defense, especially early in the season, had more than it's share of injuries. T2 hurt before the season started, Canty, Rivers, KP.. you name it. There was only a handful of defensive players that played every game.

As for the offense suffering because of the defense, probably in a few games. But there was just as many where the offense did absolutely nothing and that wasn't the fault of the defense. Both sides of the ball had some really bad games, they can each take the blame for their own inability to play up to the level that they should have.
                My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

How many of those points were Tynes FG's/XP's this season, out of 429 total points scored by the team? 145

This offense went 3 and out way more than people realize
                  The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post
                    How many of those points were Tynes FG's/XP's this season, out of 429 total points scored by the team? 145

Dude, the Giants avg'd 27 points a game and finished the year ranked 14th in rushing and 12th in passing even with all their problems!
                    The D finsihed one spot above THE WORST!! End of story
                    Who cares how they scored over 400 points? They still had those points on the scoreboard.
                    What kind of logic is that?
                    "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

They also were one of the best offenses in red-zone trips.

People get hung up on a few games for far too long.
                      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

They were extremely inconsistent. The Giants lost 1 game where they scored 20 points against the Steelers. The NFL now if u cant score 20 points U should expect to lose the game. The defense wasnt that good but everyone saying they were 31st rank thats complete BS thats in yards, They were 12th in points tied with the Ravens defense everyone fawns over for some reason.
                        Bill Sheridans defense was 30th in points

52 Saints
                        42 Eagles
                        36 Panthers
                        42 Browns
                        41 Bucs
                        38 packers

251 in 6 games

178 in the other 10

Comment

Originally posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
                          ... and now wrap your head around the fact that we just had the absolute worst defense in franchise history under Fewell

I'm going to be sick...
                          The Giants defense was 12th in points allowed this season. So until yardage determines who wins or losses it was not worse than Sheridans

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                            The Giants defense was 12th in points allowed this season. So until yardage determines who wins or losses it was not worse than Sheridans
                            I agree and I hate the fact that "overall defense" is ranked by yards allowed (especially in today's NFL). However, having said that, if you give up a ton of yards, that will lead to points sooner or later. It also means you're losing time of possession which puts your offense in a bad position (and that definitely happened this year).

We lost a big piece on offense this year with Nicks being hobbled all year. The Giants offense was predicated on having an inside-out threat which ran really well with Cruz/Nicks last year. Without Nicks operating at 100%, teams could smother Cruz and we just couldn't execute well enough across the board to make up the difference (not to mention our inability to go to a short game).

On defense we had quite a number of "under performers". Tuck, Osi, CWeb, Boley and Kiwi. Add to that guys who couldn't contribute fully due to injuries such as Canty, JWill and KP and you have a defense that was badly neutered. I don't happen to think THAT many pro-bowl caliber players all of a sudden become "bad" at the same time. It's up to the DC to get everyone on the same page and buy into the schemes that are laid out. That obviously didn't happen this year. I think there is a fairly large disconnect between PF and his players.
                            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                              They also were one of the best offenses in red-zone trips.

People get hung up on a few games for far too long.
                              All I know is, when your FG kicker leads the team in points by a LARGE margin, it's rarely a good thing. Much like a safety leading the team in tackles(hypothetical situation), it usually means that the people in front of him aren't doing something right.
                              The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X