Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Joe Flacco the AFC version of Eli Manning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
    How did they get to hold the ball that long?
    They took their time and extended drives. They went for the more time consuming plays than the big strikes downfield for the most part because our defense was in trouble. When it was 17-9 and our defense was huffing and puffing coming off the field, Eli Manning and NY Giants offense took over six minutes off the clock and drove for a field goal giving our defense a much needed rest.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
      Shutting down the Patrioys was because of the offense? So the. Who's fault is it this year because the offense couldn't score in the red zone and had many 3 and out.
      I have already repeatedly stated that although this was a poor performance by the team all the way around for the most part this past season that the fault i mainly Eli Manning's. He is our leader and star $100 million dollar QB. Unfair as it may sound, he is the one that makes the difference and he is the one that is called upon to make the difference even when the rest of our team is struggling. Not excusing the rest of the teams play but a couple different decisions here and there and we are in playoffs. he doesn't make that throw to Barden at the end of the Philly game is one that sticks out. Granted, our defense as usual was garbage. Our offensive play calling was the worst that it has been in years. However, when it is this close to making the playoffs or not, Eli Manning is the one that needs to step up and make the difference. It is what he has done on the 2 SuperBowl runs. It is what ELIte QBs are supposed to do. It is what Eli Manning is supposed to do.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Delicreep View Post
        We'll just add that to the long list of things you have been wrong about.

        I hesitate to tell you, since the answer is so team oriented, but the truth is the truth.

        What happened in week 17 when they met and why was the SB so different from that game?

        The answer...Both defenses made masterful adjustments to the other team.

        There is a fantastic clip of a play NE ran in week 17 verses the same exact play in the SB.
        In week 17, Mitchell was in the middle, and when the ball was snapped, he backed into coverage. In front of him was a gaping hole that lead straight to Brady.

        In the SB, NE ran the same play. Mitchell took two steps back, and when the same exact hole opened up, he went right after Brady. BOOM

        NE made adjustments also...and by NE, I mean Bill B, the defensive play caller. NE's plan, as it always is, was to take away the biggest threat--in this case, it was Eli.

        Both defenses did great jobs, and I will easily and completely agree that the Jints did better job...a much better job.

        But...in the end, Brady was Brady, and late in the 4th, he drove down on that great D and scored. No shame in that. No fault in that. It felt like destiny to me.

        Then Eli needed to do something that had never been done before, and he needed to do it against a team that had not lost a game all season.
        And did they ever bring the heat! They mixed up the coverage. They were making plays.

        But it wasn't enough.

        Eli kept his cool and became the only QB to make that drive to score a game winning TD when only a TD would do it.

        See how I credited both the Giants D and the NE D? The haters just credit the Giants D without remembering how Eli tore into in week 17 and how one of the best defensive football minds came up short in his plan to stop him.


        PS...Don't throw the helmet catch/luck thing out at me...it will just end poorly for you.
        +1

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Delicreep View Post
          If I tell you you don't want to bring up the 2007 SB because it actually helps the pro Eli case, would you believe me?
          Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
          I'm feeling telepathic. You will say that Eli kept potent New England offense off the field by eating up clock.
          Originally posted by Delicreep View Post
          We'll just add that to the long list of things you have been wrong about.

          I hesitate to tell you, since the answer is so team oriented, but the truth is the truth.

          What happened in week 17 when they met and why was the SB so different from that game?

          The answer...Both defenses made masterful adjustments to the other team.

          There is a fantastic clip of a play NE ran in week 17 verses the same exact play in the SB.
          In week 17, Mitchell was in the middle, and when the ball was snapped, he backed into coverage. In front of him was a gaping hole that lead straight to Brady.

          In the SB, NE ran the same play. Mitchell took two steps back, and when the same exact hole opened up, he went right after Brady. BOOM

          NE made adjustments also...and by NE, I mean Bill B, the defensive play caller. NE's plan, as it always is, was to take away the biggest threat--in this case, it was Eli.

          Both defenses did great jobs, and I will easily and completely agree that the Jints did better job...a much better job.

          But...in the end, Brady was Brady, and late in the 4th, he drove down on that great D and scored. No shame in that. No fault in that. It felt like destiny to me.

          Then Eli needed to do something that had never been done before, and he needed to do it against a team that had not lost a game all season.
          And did they ever bring the heat! They mixed up the coverage. They were making plays.

          But it wasn't enough.

          Eli kept his cool and became the only QB to make that drive to score a game winning TD when only a TD would do it.

          See how I credited both the Giants D and the NE D? The haters just credit the Giants D without remembering how Eli tore into in week 17 and how one of the best defensive football minds came up short in his plan to stop him.


          PS...Don't throw the helmet catch/luck thing out at me...it will just end poorly for you.
          I'll ask you again, what have I been wrong about?

          As for the rest, where is all this coming from? Why are we even talking about blame or credit to begin with? My comment was strictly tongue-in-cheek.

          Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but you're taking this way too seriously and making mountains out of molehills. Or are you mixing up posts by different posters. But either way, I really don't care why we won the SB. Just that we did win.

          I'm a Giants fan. I have 0 emotional attachment to Eli, Cruz, JPP, or any of the players when it comes to the team. Ultimately, I treat everyone the same - as pawn pieces. Nothing more. Nothing less. I love Cruz to pieces, but the minute he asks for some ridiculous contract (if it happens), I'd be more than happy to show him the door if it is in teh best interest of the team.

          Edit: And your assessment of the SB? I completely agree with you. Football is a team game. As for the helmet catch thing, I'm curious to know what you would have said. And just for fun, I'll say this. The entire play was ridiculous. Great plays by Tyree and Eli. Did that play and the drive win us the game? Probably and Absolutely. But was it the main reason why we won? No.
          Last edited by gumby74; 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM.
          http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
          http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
          http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

          Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

          Comment


          • Originally posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
            +1
            I love the one disclaimer "when only a TD will do". As you know, its actually easier to move the ball when only a TD will do (or at least both Peyton and Eli agreed it was).
            Ben moved the ball in SB 43 and scored to win as did Montana vs. Cincy. As did Brady twice.
            Not taking away from Eli. He did a great job. But it wasn't just Eli making plays. It was a lot of guys who don't get as much credit as the QB. Like the great blitz pickup by BJ to allow Plaxico the time to get open. Not to mention the great play by Steve Smith to turn a 3 yard pass into a first down.

            This entire "Eli did it...Eli did it" as if they both weren't great team efforts is silliness in my humble opinion.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
              I love the one disclaimer "when only a TD will do". As you know, its actually easier to move the ball when only a TD will do (or at least both Peyton and Eli agreed it was).
              Ben moved the ball in SB 43 and scored to win as did Montana vs. Cincy. As did Brady twice.
              Not taking away from Eli. He did a great job. But it wasn't just Eli making plays. It was a lot of guys who don't get as much credit as the QB. Like the great blitz pickup by BJ to allow Plaxico the time to get open. Not to mention the great play by Steve Smith to turn a 3 yard pass into a first down.

              This entire "Eli did it...Eli did it" as if they both weren't great team efforts is silliness in my humble opinion.
              However, Eli Manning is THE MAIN reason. You know this but refuse to admit it, VDC.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
                However, Eli Manning is THE MAIN reason. You know this but refuse to admit it, VDC.
                He was the most important factor in our win last season.
                2007 was a championship won primarily by the defense.
                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
                  No. However, Eli Manning and NY Giants offense controlling ball for almost 38 minutes was The Best defense in SuperBowl XLVI.
                  he will never grasp that. or in sb 42, how we essentially turned it into a 3 quarter game with us starting up by 3 points with that record longest time opening drive...and i love how buddy always tries talking up our d to knock eli down a few pegs all the while completely ignoring the FACT that in the sb 42 yr, NE had the better defense. in sb 42, eli was hit almost as much as brady...

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Delicreep View Post
                    We'll just add that to the long list of things you have been wrong about.

                    I hesitate to tell you, since the answer is so team oriented, but the truth is the truth.

                    What happened in week 17 when they met and why was the SB so different from that game?

                    The answer...Both defenses made masterful adjustments to the other team.

                    There is a fantastic clip of a play NE ran in week 17 verses the same exact play in the SB.
                    In week 17, Mitchell was in the middle, and when the ball was snapped, he backed into coverage. In front of him was a gaping hole that lead straight to Brady.

                    In the SB, NE ran the same play. Mitchell took two steps back, and when the same exact hole opened up, he went right after Brady. BOOM

                    NE made adjustments also...and by NE, I mean Bill B, the defensive play caller. NE's plan, as it always is, was to take away the biggest threat--in this case, it was Eli.

                    Both defenses did great jobs, and I will easily and completely agree that the Jints did better job...a much better job.

                    But...in the end, Brady was Brady, and late in the 4th, he drove down on that great D and scored. No shame in that. No fault in that. It felt like destiny to me.

                    Then Eli needed to do something that had never been done before, and he needed to do it against a team that had not lost a game all season.
                    And did they ever bring the heat! They mixed up the coverage. They were making plays.

                    But it wasn't enough.

                    Eli kept his cool and became the only QB to make that drive to score a game winning TD when only a TD would do it.

                    See how I credited both the Giants D and the NE D? The haters just credit the Giants D without remembering how Eli tore into in week 17 and how one of the best defensive football minds came up short in his plan to stop him.


                    PS...Don't throw the helmet catch/luck thing out at me...it will just end poorly for you.
                    from where i stand, its ended poorly for him every point/counter point you've made

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Cloud57 View Post
                      Some people don't think Eli is in the same class as Flacco but more like Brady lol. But I agree with you Flacco has played great this year.
                      I agree, but Baltimore fans kill the guy even when he is playing well. I hear the complaints about this guy all year round on Baltimore sports radio stations.
                      Reese, gone. Check! Bench McAdoo Doo, gone. Check! Let's Giants 2018.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                        He was the most important factor in our win last season.2007 was a championship won primarily by the defense.
                        They held the greatest offense to well under their average score. Even Burress knew the defense would dominate that game.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                          Didn't you know?....It was Eli who inspired that planting of Tom Brady by Alford.It was Eli that distracted Brady when Tuck stripped the ball at the end of the half.It was Eli who inspired the 5 sacks and 19 knockdowns.It was Eli who caused the Pats to have their running game snuffed.
                          Didn't realize he played defense. He really is the entire reason why they won.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                            he will never grasp that. or in sb 42, how we essentially turned it into a 3 quarter game with us starting up by 3 points with that record longest time opening drive...and i love how buddy always tries talking up our d to knock eli down a few pegs all the while completely ignoring the FACT that in the sb 42 yr, NE had the better defense. in sb 42, eli was hit almost as much as brady...
                            No more than you talk down our D to prop up Eli.
                            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
                              In SuperBowl XLII our defense gave up the lead in 4 th quarter and Eli then led our offense to a score to win game. Eli Manning opening the game with a drive that took 9:59 off the clock was what set the tone for that game and was the main reason NE Patriots didn't score till 2nd quarter.In SuperBowl XLVI our defense gave up 17 points in 21 minutes and was bailed out by Wes Welker. Eli Manning and NY Giants offense keeping Tom Brady on tue sidelines for almost 38 minutes was The Best defense that day.Peyton is 1and done 8 times in post season. This last one is all on him for the loss with that lame overtime pick as was the pick 6 in SuperBowl against Saints. Eli Manning may not be a better overall QB than Peyton Manning but he far surpasses him in post season.
                              Our Defense gave up the lead? So? What are they supposed to do, hold one of the best offenses in the history of football to 7points? I don't caer about when or what, i care that our defense only gave up 17 and 14 to NE.. Bottom line is we were underdogs in both games, and in both games NE's Team over was way way higher then what they ended up with, and our Team over was also higher, which we did not get.. I mean, its not rocket science, that our defense is the only reason we even had a chance to make those great 4th qter drives.. Normally, NE would of had way more points on the board, and it woulden't even matter if we scored when we did..

                              Obviously ELI played well, and its not like we su-cked on offense by any stretch, but its way more of a team effort, and i feel that without our defense playing like they did, none of that other stuff has a chance to happen..

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                                Didn't you know?....It was Eli who inspired that planting of Tom Brady by Alford.
                                It was Eli that distracted Brady when Tuck stripped the ball at the end of the half.
                                It was Eli who inspired the 5 sacks and 19 knockdowns.
                                It was Eli who caused the Pats to have their running game snuffed.
                                Even through all our defensive efforts, we still needed some crazy "luck" catch by David Tyree to win that game.. As amazing as our defense played, we still needed luck by our offense to pull it off..

                                I was alittle annoyed Justin Tuck didn't get MVP in 2007 SB... I thought he was most desrving...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X