This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjeep View Post
    I know its been kicked around, but how many more productive years can we expect from Eli and when, if not this year, had we better draft a top QB to groom? As of now, we have no one like a lot of teams ( San Fran ) that have QB's that can step in!
    Well how many more does Peyton have? The Broncos drafted Osweiler for a reason so I'd say 2 max. That would put Peyton at 38 and I don't think Eli has the same drive as Peyton to keep playing (who does other than Favre?? lol) so I'd give him maybe 5 seasons max. With only 3 seasons left under contract he might not finish his career as a Giant so an early round QB would be a good look in the 2014 or 2015 draft.

Johnny Football anyone??

Comment

its looking like the days of grooming QBs are over. Past 5 years QB drafted high start playing right away and they have had pretty good success.

Comment

Originally posted by WiIdcat View Post
        Well how many more does Peyton have? The Broncos drafted Osweiler for a reason so I'd say 2 max. That would put Peyton at 38 and I don't think Eli has the same drive as Peyton to keep playing (who does other than Favre?? lol) so I'd give him maybe 5 seasons max. With only 3 seasons left under contract he might not finish his career as a Giant so an early round QB would be a good look in the 2014 or 2015 draft.

Johnny Football anyone??
        Next year?!
        My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

well if we are to use his brother as some sort of comparable metric, keeping in mind that Eli doesnt have the neck issues, I'd say Eli could end up playing at a high level to 40 yr old...8 more years with prob 5 more years of elite level play and then a lil drop off

Comment

what people got to understand is that it isnt a physical thing, its a mental thing. the ability to compensate for defeciencies that come with growing older, i believe eli will be more than capable to compensate for parts of his game that may fall off bc of his understanding and mental approach...

Comment

If we don't fix our defense I don't care how much longer he plays, we're gonna have problems competing with these newcomers and teams turning the corner. Baltimore, Cincinnati and Atlanta demolished us when we still controlled our own destiny. Yeah we beat San Fran but had we played them or Seattle in December they would've slaughtered us.

Comment

Pocket passers who avoid big hits are usually good til 38 or 39. It often depends on the teams level of success and if they want to keep paying franchise type money when they are looking at a rebuild. It depends on the guy as well, where Peyton and Brady will play until their arms fall off Eli may say at 36 he has done enough. I think he said he wanted to play 7 more years earlier this year.

Either way it is too early to draft a "QB of the future". After round 3 there is little difference between drafting a QB and a college FA.

Comment

Originally posted by elitocruz View Post
                  no seperations
                  He separated his throwing shoulder in 2007 and played through it.

But yes he has been remarkably healthy.

I can see Eli playing to 42-43 but I don't know if it will all be with us. See Favre, Brett.
                  8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                    I would say around 5 or so more years.

Problem is to find starting QBs they need to be drafted early, usually 1st round.

Can the giants afford to spend a 1st round pick to get a guy to backup Eli?
                    QB's have primes that vary so often, its hard to say? I mean, not every good QB has a HOF type long career at there peak.. Look at Phillip Rivers, Jim Everett, Jake Delhomme, Steve McNair, Jeff Garcia, Daunte Culpepper, Bernie Kosar, just for starters.. I mean, its hard to tell if ELI is gonna be one of those 36yr old studs, or a guy who just started his decline this past season.. Its not easy to fall into the Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning type echelon of guys who are super productive right into there mid to late 30's.. Thats what seperates the ALL TIME GREATS from the very good NFL QB's...

Comment

From reading the posts, fans seem to think he's good for another 5 or 6 years either with us or some other team. I guess it depends on how soon we need to rebuild. To be able to draft high for a QB, I guess we will have to finish with a losing record.
                      Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                        I would say around 5 or so more years.

Problem is to find starting QBs they need to be drafted early, usually 1st round.

Can the giants afford to spend a 1st round pick to get a guy to backup Eli?
                        5 years is a lot to expect. I think we could get 3 more good years for sure after that who knows

Comment

Originally posted by river555 View Post
                          its looking like the days of grooming QBs are over. Past 5 years QB drafted high start playing right away and they have had pretty good success.
                          QB's in college now are far more advanced throwing the football than when Eli played.A rookie though I believe we have a hard time playing in this offense Day 1 and winning

Comment

not many teams get the luxury of having a potential great QB waiting in the wings. Most teams take it year by year.
                            "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                            You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I think Eli knows the opportunity to become the greatest QB ever is around the corner. And I think he'll want it badly enough to smack down the naysayers throughout his career. The problem is our average coach is seizing this moment as well and is hanging around a bit too long.

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post
                                I think Eli knows the opportunity to become the greatest QB ever is around the corner. And I think he'll want it badly enough to smack down the naysayers throughout his career. The problem is our average coach is seizing this moment as well and is hanging around a bit too long.
                                You 2012'ers are too funny. The year of the Elis.
                                http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                                http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                                http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Working...
                                X