The NY Giants 2000 season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
    Toomer is on record as saying that Fassel coached scared of the Ravens defense and that the game plan was the "worst he had ever been a part of".

Accorsi is on record as saying that he never felt good about the preparation for that game because it was too "light-hearted" for him. He felt that the Giants team didn't have the intensity to win the game because they were just happy to be there.
    Again...what specific failings in the preparations are you talking about.

And BTW....coaching "scared" of that defense was a very smart thing.
    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

You should ask Accorsi or Toomer.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A96E9C8B63

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...ants-1.2662593

Yes, coaching scared worked out very well for us.

Comment

Toomer didnt offer any specifics in the radio interview I heard, he only mentioned that Fassel went in with a different gameplan, different from what got them there. For that reason alone he has regrets because they were never given the chance to play "their" football and match up to the Ravens with their strengths. The only specifics he went into was that the loss was on Fassel and the coaching staff.

Comment

You should ask Accorsi or Toomer.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A96E9C8B63

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...ants-1.2662593

Yes, coaching scared worked out very well for us.
          Both these articles are definitely checks on your side of the ledger. And they definitely give me pause regarding my position. But I will say that no gameplan was going to be enough to win that game. That defense was way to physical for us and our finesse O line. We had three guys near the end of their careers who had no chance against those guys.

So, while you have made valid points, I would still maintain my view that we essentially had no chance to win that game (barring a crap load of huge breaks going our way)

Comment

Both these articles are definitely checks on your side of the ledger. And they definitely give me pause regarding my position. But I will say that no gameplan was going to be enough to win that game. That defense was way to physical for us and our finesse O line. We had three guys near the end of their careers who had no chance against those guys.

So, while you have made valid points, I would still maintain my view that we essentially had no chance to win that game (barring a crap load of huge breaks going our way)
            I don't know if we ever would have won the game if we had a good plan, but I heard Accorsi on the radio with Colin Cowherd and he sounded downright angry about the preparation and coaching leading up to that game. He said something like (I am paraphrasing here) even after speaking with Fassel about the game years later he still wasn't sure that Fassel had any plan at all to attack the Ravens defense.

Comment

I don't know if we ever would have won the game if we had a good plan, but I heard Accorsi on the radio with Colin Cowherd and he sounded downright angry about the preparation and coaching leading up to that game. He said something like (I am paraphrasing here) even after speaking with Fassel about the game years later he still wasn't sure that Fassel had any plan at all to attack the Ravens defense.
              Dusty Zeigler wasn't going to block Ray Lewis on his best day. And no brilliant gameplan would change that.

Comment

Would you have rather seen us lose to Philly or Minn. in the playoffs?

I don't get it. Since the merger, we've won 5 NFC championships. That year was one of them.
                i dont know if theres anything worse (in football) than losing a superbowl!

yea i know everyone wants to get there to have a chance but a lost........

i never hear or see Bills or Vikings fans celebrating their successes!

but you know thats my thing on "success".
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
                  i dont know if theres anything worse (in football) than losing a superbowl!

yea i know everyone wants to get there to have a chance but a lost........

i never hear or see Bills or Vikings fans celebrating their successes!

but you know thats my thing on "success".

I just don't understand this.
                  Losing in the SB is the second best thing that can happen to a team. Its a better result than 30 other teams get. I'm not saying I'm happy losing a SB, but it means you won the conference championship. And for a team like the 2000 Giants who overachieved all season, its not bad at all.

I mean I can see a lot of disappointment if your team was dominant and it blew the SB to an inferior team, but that was hardly the case.
                  Last edited by Morehead State; 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Losing in the SB is the second best thing that can happen to a team. Its a better result than 30 other teams get. I'm not saying I'm happy losing a SB, but it means you won the conference championship. And for a team like the 2000 Giants who overachieved all season, its not bad at all.

I mean I can see a lot of disappointment if your team was dominant and it blew the SB to an inferior team, but that was hardly the case.
                    Just getting to SuperBowl is a great accomplishment.

“Losing the Super Bowl is a horrible feeling but I would rather get here and lose than not get here at all.” - Tom Brady

Comment

Losing in the SB is the second best thing that can happen to a team.
                      It's simultaneously the worst. It tears the team apart.

Ask someone like Patrick Ewing or Jim Kelley if it's the 2nd best thing that can happen to a team.
                      Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM.
                      8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Originally posted by RonJon View Post
                        Does anyone else feel that that game may have turned out differently if not for that bogus defensive holding call on Keith Hamilton that wiped out the INT return for a TD by Armstead? That call I feel just completely took the wind out of their sails.
                        Nice ! Glad im not the only one who remebers and cant let that bs call go....... I was only in 6th grade and I remember that

Comment

Working...
                        X