168 REC, 2,628 yards, 15.6 YPC, 19 TD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i dont look at it from a "how much he dropped off" perspective. I knew he wasn't going to match the 2011 yr statistically when the Nicks issue became clear. You can't gloss over how, while he did not produce the same numbers, he did still have an extremely productive year while often being completely focused on by defenses bc the lack of a threat Nicks became hobbled...if you really think about it, this past year is almost more impressive than 2011 in that, 2011 he had nicks taking massive amounts of attention off cruz. cruz had no such luxury this year, and still produced an exceptional year...
    I don't know if I agree with this season being more impressive than last, but it at least proved that Cruz could be a number 1. However, I must say that I think Cruz would benefit more from Nicks than Nicks from Cruz.

Comment

Originally posted by GTGiantsFan View Post
      I was simply saying it's premature to list Cruz with the likes of Moss, Rice, etc.
      I know you were.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
        Cruz is better with a healthy Nicks on the field and Nicks is better with Cruz on the field.
        Agree on this also... tell me, do you think the production was hurt by the loss of Manningham?

Comment

i dont look at it from a "how much he dropped off" perspective. I knew he wasn't going to match the 2011 yr statistically when the Nicks issue became clear. You can't gloss over how, while he did not produce the same numbers, he did still have an extremely productive year while often being completely focused on by defenses bc the lack of a threat Nicks became hobbled...if you really think about it, this past year is almost more impressive than 2011 in that, 2011 he had nicks taking massive amounts of attention off cruz. cruz had no such luxury this year, and still produced an exceptional year...
          He most definitley had a productive 2nd year - but the reason it appears as a dropoff is because of how spectactular and impressive 2010 was.

Comment

Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
            I don't know if I agree with this season being more impressive than last, but it at least proved that Cruz could be a number 1. However, I must say that I think Cruz would benefit more from Nicks than Nicks from Cruz.
            yeah ur right i worded that poorly. i should have said, "in some ways, this season was almost more impressive than last."

Comment

Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
              Agree on this also... tell me, do you think the production was hurt by the loss of Manningham?
              Personally, no, but I am in the minority on that. Hixon served us well after Mario went to greener pastures.

2012 GP GS YDS YPC LNG TD FUMB
              MANNINGHAM 12 10 449 10.7 40 1 2
              HIXON 13 3 567 14.5 41 2 0
              Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-24-2013, 11:51 AM.
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Personally, no, but I am in the minority on that. Hixon served us well after Mario went to greener pastures.

Teams had to account for Manningham because of his speed and explosiveness. Giants definitely missed him this year.

Comment

His injury aside...MM clearly made a huge mistake going to SF. Its a run first, run second offense. Its where WR's go to die.
                  Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                    His injury aside...MM clearly made a huge mistake going to SF. Its a run first, run second offense. Its where WR's go to die.
                    You're correct, although Mario did have the misfortune to go to Niners the year Crabtree--4 years late--finally chose to play like a 1st rd pick. Even at that, however, he produced a little less than the undrafted Cruz this year (Cruz's so-called "drop off" season, ha ha ha).

Comment

Exactly so.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
                        Exactly so.
                        To me, Cruz's 2012 season was nothing less than a validation of his 2011 season.
                        He proved that he wasn't a one season wonder.
                        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                          To me, Cruz's 2012 season was nothing less than a validation of his 2011 season.
                          He proved that he wasn't a one season wonder.
                          +1

Comment

Originally posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
                            Whose numbers are those you ask?

Victor Cruz in two years.

Comparison?

Nicks 2 Years:

126 REC, 1,842 yards, 17 TD

Dez 2 years:

110 REC, 1,489 yards, 15 TD

First Three Years:

Hakeem Nicks:

202 REC, 3,034 yards, 15.3 YPC, 24 TD

----------------------------------------------------------

Dez Bryant:

200 catches, 2871 yards, 14.4 ypc, 27 TDs

Brandon Marshall:

226 catches, 2899 yards, 12.8 ypc, 15 TDs

Calvin Johnson:

193 catches, 3071 yards, 15.9 ypc, 21 TDs

Andre Johnson:

208 catches, 2806 yards, 13.4 ypc, 12 TDs

Larry Fitzgerald:

230 catches, 3135 yards, 13.6 ypc, 24 TDs

Demaryius Thomas:

148 catches, 2268 yards, 15.3 ypc, 16 TDs

Michael Irvin:

78 catches, 1445 yards, 18.5 ypc, 12 TDs

Cris Carter:

111 catches, 1779 yards, 16.0 ypc, 20 TDs

Jerry Rice:

200 catches, 3575 yards, 17.8 ypc, 40 TDs

Terrell Owens:

162 catches, 2553 yards, 15.7 ypc, 26 TDs

Randy Moss:

226 catches, 4163 yards, 18.4 ypc, 43 TDs

Nicks when healthy is a top 5 receiver but Cruz is no drop off. Have to lock both of them up without question. No ifs ands or buts about it. Cruz is a special special receiver. If we let him get away I would cry.

His first two years he put up jaw dropping numbers..... just outstanding
                            I'm curious. Do you see Wes Welker as a special, special receiver as well? His productivity is through the roof as well. Yet, the Patriots still hesitate to re-sign him to a more lucrative contract.

There's a big difference between Cruz and most of the WRs listed. The (most) ones listed are big, strong, physical WRs that can make the tough catch in traffic. They are far less reliant on "getting separation" than Cruz is. Honestly, I don't think Cruz is that kind of WR that warrants top dollar. His skillset is more easily replaced than most of the WRs listed.

Don't get me wrong. I love him to death. But for top dollar (assuming he asks that much), I'd take many other WRs in the league over him. Numbers don't lie. He definitely no one year wonder. But he lacks the physicality that warrants the big contract.
                            http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                            http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                            http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
                              I'm curious. Do you see Wes Welker as a special, special receiver as well? His productivity is through the roof as well. Yet, the Patriots still hesitate to re-sign him to a more lucrative contract.

There's a big difference between Cruz and most of the WRs listed. The (most) ones listed are big, strong, physical WRs that can make the tough catch in traffic. They are far less reliant on "getting separation" than Cruz is. Honestly, I don't think Cruz is that kind of WR that warrants top dollar. His skillset is more easily replaced than most of the WRs listed.

Don't get me wrong. I love him to death. But for top dollar (assuming he asks that much), I'd take many other WRs in the league over him. Numbers don't lie. He definitely no one year wonder. But he lacks the physicality that warrants the big contract.
                              "Lacks the physicality that warrants the big contract" is a bit silly.

Can he catch the ball? Can he run? Can he catch and run? Can he score? Is he a reliable target? These are aspects that matter, and Cruz conforms to them in a big way.

For example, I'm not saying he's yet at the level of Roddy White--although Cruz's 2 year numbers are actually a little better than White's, the past 2 years--but Cruz is the same size as White. Is White not worth "the big contract"?

Comment

Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
                                Cruz isn't in his 30s, nor does he keep killing drives in the post-season.

Comment

Working...
                                X