Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Cruz is easily replaceable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drewz View Post
    No, Cruz is a good receiver that BENEFITS from the system he's in. There were people saying he should be making top 5 WR money like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald.. that is INSANE

Dominek Hixon is one, Rueben Randle has the talent as well.

Thanks for proving my point. Through the multiple games Nicks was out, several different receivers stepped up in his absence, and there is no question Nicks is the better receiver than Cruz. But you can't compare that to JPP and others on defense because in the offense, everything is based on timing and being in the right spot and making the right reads.

Listen, I'm not saying Cruz isn't a good receiver or important to the offense. All I'm saying is that he's not "irreplaceable", and not someone you should overpay when someone could step in his slot.
    If Hixon, who I love, were that good, Cruz would be sitting on the bench or playing # 3. Randle still has a lot to prove. It isn't a question of is Cruz replaceable, everyone is, including Eli. The question is who can replace him without a drop off and for how much? Better to keep what you have than take a flyer when you think you can make a run at the brass ring.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Marvelousmik View Post
      what does that tell you? They shouldnt have let nicks play injured because when he sat out guys like randel and barden stepped up.
      So, when Nicks was on the field there was never a 3rd receiver on the field?

What "it tells" me is that after 3 complete games without Nicks we saw that we have 3 decent #3 or #4 receivers who each had a good game, but who obviously were not reliable or trustworthy enough (in the judgement of our HC, OC, WR coaches, and probably in judgement of Eli) to warrant keeping a hobbled Nicks off the field for any more games the rest of the season.

In several of those games that Nicks "should not have even been on the field", according to some experts here, he was still more likely to pull double coverage than the others were. That had to have been factored in to the decision to play him when it was so obvious to those here who know so much more than our coaches that he should have sat out the rest of the season.

The point I'm trying to make is that, in response to those here who so casually say that Cruz could "easily be replaced" by the totality of these other receivers because of our "system", there is nothing in what any of them did this past season to justify those remarks. (The faith of some here in Jernigan is most especially misplaced--if even Barden, after 3+ seasons of disappointment, could step up in a prime time game and shine, and Jernigan still could not take advantage, then...what will it take?)

Comment

Lol I know you want to hold on to your argument but you dont need to go this far.
        Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Comment

No, Cruz is a good receiver that BENEFITS from the system he's in. There were people saying he should be making top 5 WR money like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald.. that is INSANE

Thanks for proving my point. Through the multiple games Nicks was out, several different receivers stepped up in his absence, and there is no question Nicks is the better receiver than Cruz. But you can't compare that to JPP and others on defense because in the offense, everything is based on timing and being in the right spot and making the right reads.

Listen, I'm not saying Cruz isn't a good receiver or important to the offense. All I'm saying is that he's not "irreplaceable", and not someone you should overpay when someone could step in his slot.
          But people are saying to let him walk without even knowing what he wants yet. I would understand if he came out and said "look, I want 10 million a year", I would understand. NOBODY knows how much he's asking for, and people are already started with the psh whatever we'll just draft a rookie. Problem solved.
          Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• It's not about thinking its cool if he leaves, it's about reality and not and not setting a team back. Every year there are guys entering the league and making plays. If Eli is a top ten QB he should be able to make other around him look good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
              It's not about thinking its cool if he leaves, it's about reality and not and not setting a team back. Every year there are guys entering the league and making plays. If Eli is a top ten QB he should be able to make other around him look good.
              How'd that work out in 2012?
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

It's not about thinking its cool if he leaves, it's about reality and not and not setting a team back. Every year there are guys entering the league and making plays. If Eli is a top ten QB he should be able to make other around him look good.
                The reality is we shouldn't think guys coming off the bench can make the same impact, especially if they get very limited playing time.

Comment

• Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
                  So, when Nicks was on the field there was never a 3rd receiver on the field?
                  Yeah. Hixon. The guy who had more production this year than the previous 3rd wideout from last year. (manningham)

What "it tells" me is that after 3 complete games without Nicks we saw that we have 3 decent #3 or #4 receivers who each had a good game, but who obviously were not reliable or trustworthy enough (in the judgement of our HC, OC, WR coaches, and probably in judgement of Eli) to warrant keeping a hobbled Nicks off the field for any more games the rest of the season.

In several of those games that Nicks "should not have even been on the field", according to some experts here, he was still more likely to pull double coverage than the others were. That had to have been factored in to the decision to play him when it was so obvious to those here who know so much more than our coaches that he should have sat out the rest of the season.

The point I'm trying to make is that, in response to those here who so casually say that Cruz could "easily be replaced" by the totality of these other receivers because of our "system", there is nothing in what any of them did this past season to justify those remarks. (The faith of some here in Jernigan is most especially misplaced--if even Barden, after 3+ seasons of disappointment, could step up in a prime time game and shine, and Jernigan still could not take advantage, then...what will it take?)
                  All i can remember is that when nicks wasnt playing our offense seemed to move the ball a lot better. Saying that these guys played decent when nicks was gone is like saying they were average When in fact they played at a very high level. When barden got his chance at the 1 role he did his thing. When randel got his chance he also stepped up big. It was nice to see them actually design plays for these guys. I dont think cruz is as replaceable though. But i think the outside guys are.
                  Last edited by Marvelousmik; 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM.

~Big Mike~

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                    How'd that work out in 2012?
                    Not ripping him or trying to turn this into an Eli thread. Just saying, look at some of the "elite" QB's and it seems they can do a lot with less.

Comment

Not ripping him or trying to turn this into an Eli thread. Just saying, look at some of the "elite" QB's and it seems they can do a lot with less.
                      This isn't an Eli thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                        The reality is we shouldn't think guys coming off the bench can make the same impact, especially if they get very limited playing time.
                        Eh, don't know about that. Seems like the best teams in the NfL let guys walk and keep on going.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                          True, but that makes it almost a certainty that Nicks or Cruz won't be here after 2013 due to CAP restrictions
                          Exactly. That's why I don't even include that option in this discussion. It's inconceivable (to me, at least) that Reese would be that short-sighted regarding either Cruz or Nicks.

Comment

Eh, don't know about that. Seems like the best teams in the NfL let guys walk and keep on going.
                            I don't know of many teams who lose one of their best players and don't miss a beat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                              I don't know of many teams who lose one of their best players and don't miss a beat.
                              Pats lost Gronk for 5 games this year in the regular season and he posted 537 less receiving yards as a result. The Patriots responded to this loss by rushing for 420 more yards in 2012 and they only ended up losing 117 yards of total offensive production.

Comment

• Originally posted by CowboysSuck View Post
                                He's just not big enough of a guy (height and weight) to be "that type" of elite receiver.

~Big Mike~

Comment

Working...
                                X