Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Cruz is easily replaceable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
    If Randle is everything we think he is, then we won't lose Cruz, but Nicks instead. That being said, if we lose Cruz this year, then that means we get a 1st and a 3rd pick. I'm then hoping that Nicks stays healthy and we make a deal with Nicks instead. I'd be upset, but not devastated.
    We'll only get a 1st. The rules changed on tenders in the new CBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mercury View Post
      I think the Giants will make a decent offer. But whatever they offer doesn't really matter up front. His agent will still test the waters, because there are teams with indecent money to spend. The advantage the Giants have is that they don't have to spend a draft pick to sign him since he is RFA. You can consider it a gentleman's bet, if you like. It won't be the first time I am wrong about something, just ask my wife.
      Hah! Both of our wife can probably attest to our occasional "wrongness".
      Having to pay a big salary AND losing a 1st round pick is a huge price. I remember the Vikes paying it for Steve Hutchinson (actually I think it was more than a 1) but he' was the best guard in football.
      Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
        That has been argued in this thread. Not by you but it has been argued.

I said this several weeks ago. I see Cruz getting something like 4 years, $25 to $28M with something like $11 or $12M guaranteed.
        Cruz isn't an average WR, however for the amount of catches he made his numbers were average this past season in comparison to other players with a similar amount of receptions.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShakeandBake View Post
          Cruz isn't an average WR, however for the amount of catches he made his numbers were average this past season in comparison to other players with a similar amount of receptions.
          Well catches are important, especially in a downfield scheme like ours. Its not like Eli is dumping the ball off to Cruz.
          He was high in catches, TD's AND yards. many WR's are high in one or two of those catagories, but few are high up in all 3.

Comment

Well catches are important, especially in a downfield scheme like ours. Its not like Eli is dumping the ball off to Cruz.
            He was high in catches, TD's AND yards. many WR's are high in one or two of those catagories, but few are high up in all 3.
            Those are the stats I have been looking at. For example someone who has very similar numbers in all 3 of those categories this year is Mike Williams out of Tampa or Crabtree. I think both of those guys are good receivers however I don't consider them to be the creme of the crop. Don't get me wrong, I love Cruz, I just don't think the world is going to come crashing down if he somehow doesn't come back next year unlike some of the chicken little's on this board.

Comment

Hah! Both of our wife can probably attest to our occasional "wrongness".
              Having to pay a big salary AND losing a 1st round pick is a huge price. I remember the Vikes paying it for Steve Hutchinson (actually I think it was more than a 1) but he' was the best guard in football.
              Not to mention that despite entering his 4th year, he'll be turning 27 next season. Sure, WRs can play at a high level until their early-mid 30's before seeing a significant drop in play, but if I were to invest a 1st AND a contract in a guy, I'd like him to not be at the very end of his career at the end of the deal.

Comment

Those are the stats I have been looking at. For example someone who has very similar numbers in all 3 of those categories this year is Mike Williams out of Tampa or Crabtree. I think both of those guys are good receivers however I don't consider them to be the creme of the crop. Don't get me wrong, I love Cruz, I just don't think the world is going to come crashing down if he somehow doesn't come back next year unlike some of the chicken little's on this board.
                Hell I don't think we are going to go into an offensive tailspin or anything, we are too talented. I just don't understand how some can call Cruz average and replaceable. Replace him with whom? A rookie? Jernigan and Barden? Hoping Rueben Randle comes out and has a monster season?
                Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                  Hell I don't think we are going to go into an offensive tailspin or anything, we are too talented. I just don't understand how some can call Cruz average and replaceable. Replace him with whom? A rookie? Jernigan and Barden? Hoping Rueben Randle comes out and has a monster season?
                  I actually look for Randle to have a big year next season. But we still need Cruz. He's too good a playmaker to lose.
                  Will we fall apart? Probably not.
                  But if we've had a lot of folks hear excusing Eli's problems this season due to Nicks injury, can you imagine what they'll say if we let Cruz go?

They would have to have one Mod dedicated just to locking all the threads,

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                    I'd imagine we would use Hixon in the slot if Cruz isn't back. Barden has no business being in slot, JJ is a possibility as well depending on how far along he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imgrate View Post
                      Again there is no difference in extending nicks this year and cruz next year as opposed to what you said. Cruz's value is at a high and he can be kept for cheap this year. Nicks' value is currently about as low as it could be.
                      I believe you underestimate Nicks' value.
                      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

I'd imagine we would use Hixon in the slot if Cruz isn't back. Barden has no business being in slot, JJ is a possibility as well depending on how far along he is.
                        WR's who can get open in the NFL don't grow on trees. The kid will be very tough to replace and our offense will take a hit as a product.
                        The only real question is how much of a hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
                          If they do sign Cruz they better hope that Randle is the real deal because Nicks will be gone.
                          Where is Nicks going?
                          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                            Where is Nicks going?
                            Maybe he's moving to Montana soon...I become a dental floss tycoon.

Comment

WR's who can get open in the NFL don't grow on trees. The kid will be very tough to replace and our offense will take a hit as a product.
                              The only real question is how much of a hit.
                              Where did I say that he is easily replaceable? I clearly pointed out that I would like him back, clearly the best option and wouldn't even be a question if we weren't having salary cap issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                                Where is Nicks going?
                                I think he's saying that if we give Cruz a big payday this year, we won't be able to afford to give Nicks his next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X