No announcement yet.

Giants' Eli Manning, Victor Cruz Shine In 2013 Pro Bowl As NFC Dominates AFC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants' Eli Manning, Victor Cruz Shine In 2013 Pro Bowl As NFC Dominates AFC

http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/28/...dominates-afc/

Excerpt: "A year ago, the Pro Bowl further perpetuated the notion that it was nothing more than a poorly constructed All-Star showcase in which fans could expect minimum effort from the NFL's premier players. Although the television ratings remained impressive, commissioner Roger Goodell seriously considered eliminating the Pro Bowl due to the pathetic product that the 2012 game produced. However, this year, the increased effort actually made for a relatively entertaining contest.

The NFC demolished the AFC 62-35 in a game that was chock full of big plays from star players. New YorkGiants quarterback Eli Manning led the NFC in passing with 191 yards through the air, along with a touchdown. Manning's touchdown pass was to none other than Victor Cruz, who did his signature salsa routine in the end zone after scoring. Manning also threw a pick-six in the second quarter as well.

After the game, Cruz, who set a Pro Bowl record with 10 receptions, said that each team gave a sincere effort out on the field.

"We understood exactly what (Goodell) wanted, guys were making plays all over the field," Cruz said. "There was a little bit more high intensity than in years past and we were excited to play."

Perhaps the most comical moment in the game came at the end of the fourth quarter, as Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul lined up as a cornerback opposite of Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, who was split out wide as a receiver. Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck threw a jump ball into the back corner of the end zone, and Pierre-Paul came down with an interception that effectively ended the game." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...ar-in-pro-bowl

Excerpt: "Victor Cruz’s first Pro Bowl appearance was one to remember.

The wide receiver had 10 receptions for 96 yards and one touchdown. The touchdown came off a pass from teammate Eli Manning, and Cruz celebrated with his trademark salsa dance.

Manning completed five passes for 43 yards to Cruz alone on the drive that resulted in their touchdown hookup that put the NFC up 17-14 in the second quarter. The NFC went on to rout the AFC, 62-35.

Cruz said the NFC, coached by Green Bay’s Mike McCarthy’s coaching staff, called some plays that the Giants like to use on the drive that led to his touchdown.

And Manning looked often for his security blanket.

"Yeah, no doubt," Manning said about targeting Cruz in an interview on the sideline during the game on NBC. "So anytime you need a completion, go to the guy you know [who] you’ve thrown 100 balls to the last two seasons. I got into a groove."

All four Giants in the Pro Bowl contributed to the win. Manning completed 16 of 23 passes for 191 yards and two touchdowns. He also completed a 52-yard bomb and a 3-yard touchdown pass to tight end Kyle Rudolph, who was the game's MVP with five receptions for 122 yards and one touchdown. Manning did have one mistake as he threw a pick-six to Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson early in the second quarter. " Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

It wouldnt be Eli if he didn't squeeze in a pick 6 somewhere.. lol.
      WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

At least this year the players actually looked liked they gave a crap. Yeah you can't construct an offense in a week, but the individual effort was there. You got to see some shenanigans that you couldn't otherwise see in the regular season (JJ Watt lined up as a WR lol), but was still otherwise taken seriously. It also allowed for some truly heartfelt moments (Saturday getting to cross team lines to snap it to Peyton one last time, Eli motioning Rudolph to just go deep for the TD)...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

I'd watch if they promised they'd muck around more, like with that Watt v JPP thing. Fantasy match-ups, things you'd otherwise never see.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
            I'd watch if they promised they'd muck around more, like with that Watt v JPP thing. Fantasy match-ups, things you'd never otherwise see.
            As long as they still take the game seriously with regards to making all the hits, blocks, and tackles with some sense of intensity, i'm down...

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
              At least this year the players actually looked liked they gave a crap.
              Uhhh come on this consumate professionalism.

Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM.
              8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Yeah, one guy out of 22 cared on that play.... look at how both lines just stand up, while the receivers and dbs just mill around.

Also that was Pro Bowl 2011... that was what I was saying we improved from.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                  It wouldnt be Eli if he didn't squeeze in a pick 6 somewhere.. lol.
                  Lol I said the something when I saw it happen
                  The Gigalo with the most below

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                    Yeah, one guy out of 22 cared on that play.... look at how both lines just stand up, while the receivers and dbs just mill around.

Also that was Pro Bowl 2011... that was what I was saying we improved from.
                    No I know, sarcasm fail... I'll edit my post
                    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Red font works nicely...

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                        http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/28/...dominates-afc/

Excerpt: "A year ago, the Pro Bowl further perpetuated the notion that it was nothing more than a poorly constructed All-Star showcase in which fans could expect minimum effort from the NFL's premier players. Although the television ratings remained impressive, commissioner Roger Goodell seriously considered eliminating the Pro Bowl due to the pathetic product that the 2012 game produced. However, this year, the increased effort actually made for a relatively entertaining contest.

The NFC demolished the AFC 62-35 in a game that was chock full of big plays from star players. New YorkGiants quarterback Eli Manning led the NFC in passing with 191 yards through the air, along with a touchdown. Manning's touchdown pass was to none other than Victor Cruz, who did his signature salsa routine in the end zone after scoring. Manning also threw a pick-six in the second quarter as well.

After the game, Cruz, who set a Pro Bowl record with 10 receptions, said that each team gave a sincere effort out on the field.

"We understood exactly what (Goodell) wanted, guys were making plays all over the field," Cruz said. "There was a little bit more high intensity than in years past and we were excited to play."

Perhaps the most comical moment in the game came at the end of the fourth quarter, as Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul lined up as a cornerback opposite of Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, who was split out wide as a receiver. Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck threw a jump ball into the back corner of the end zone, and Pierre-Paul came down with an interception that effectively ended the game." Read more...

JJ Watt lining up at WR and Jeff Saturday snapping the ball to both his and the opposing QB DURING THE GAME.....not to mention the final score pretty much speaks for itself as to how seriously Pro Bowl players and coaches takes this game !
                        This game has been and always will be a joke and as a Giants fan, I don't exactly relish the fact that our franchise QB and best receiver participated in it needlessly risking injury and putting a fork in this team for good!
                        This game needs to be shelved permanently. These guys are rich, they can vacation in Hawaii anytime they want, without risking their careers.
                        "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Greatest probowl play ever.

WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

That 1:08 second drive at the end of the frrst half was vintage ELI. I think they got ball back around 28so he went 72yards with i think only 1 of the 2time outs they had cause eli was able to spike it with 6seconds left. and got the TD as time expired. He showed some really nice touch on his passes and Cruz looked great. JPP played a nice game as did Snee.
                            Last edited by miked1958; 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM.
                            Football has been very, very good to us.
                            After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                            But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                            2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                            3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                            4-New York Giants!!!
                            5-NE
                            Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

the most I have ever watched of a PB game was last years. About 5 minutes....
                              what a waste
                              "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                              You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Working...
                              X