Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salary cap ramifications of cutting players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
    Not at all. They could save 8+ million off the cap by releasing him.

    A new contract they give out to a mid tier CB could cost them substantially less than 8+ million.

    Cowboys signed the top FA corner last year in Carr, and he only cost them $3.2 mil against the cap.
    Dude c'mon now ... Brandon Carr's cap hit THIS year is $16+ million. If you're going to throw up an example, try throwing up a realistic one ... not a Jerry Jones fantasy contract destined to ruin his team for another decade.

    Yes the Giants could pursue FA for a CB and make it work if all sides agree and cut CWeb. It's in the realm of possibility. My only point is that it's not in the realm of *probability*. That's all.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
      Dude c'mon now ... Brandon Carr's cap hit THIS year is $16+ million. If you're going to throw up an example, try throwing up a realistic one ... not a Jerry Jones fantasy contract destined to ruin his team for another decade.

      Yes the Giants could pursue FA for a CB and make it work if all sides agree and cut CWeb. It's in the realm of possibility. My only point is that it's not in the realm of *probability*. That's all.
      My point isn't that the giants can sign the top FA. My point is the giants could sign a mid tier CB and structure the deal so this year it only costs them a few million. Cut webster, sign mid tier CB, save possibly 5+ mil off the salary cap.

      When the contract goes into its higher numbers is the same time most of the giants larger contracts expire. Making the increasing money not as big of a concern.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
        If they void the first contract then there will be a $1 mil dead money hit.

        Theoretically they could extend him another year and not give him a new signing bonus but split that 1 mil between both years. So $500k cap hit each year. But of course you would need to give him a base salary as well. So it won't help in a lot of cases.

        But what they did with Osi was give him a signing bonus of like $6 mil and gave him an extra voidable year. So Osi has a 3 mil dead cap hit this season despite his contract being voided
        Ok, thats what I was getting at, they can extend the contract without creating a new contract. So in the case of a player they want to kepp long term, like Eli it canhelp to a degree lessen the impact of previous restructures. Providint the player isn't looking for a big raise.
        #80

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
          Holy **** Webster...
          +1. my exact thoughts.based on how he got burned..let's deal with the dead money.... more upside to that

          Comment


          • #50
            at this point we damned if we do and damned if we don't.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
              Dude c'mon now ... Brandon Carr's cap hit THIS year is $16+ million. If you're going to throw up an example, try throwing up a realistic one ... not a Jerry Jones fantasy contract destined to ruin his team for another decade.

              Yes the Giants could pursue FA for a CB and make it work if all sides agree and cut CWeb. It's in the realm of possibility. My only point is that it's not in the realm of *probability*. That's all.
              Yeah but say they sign Starter at 5 years 30 millions and spread the hits out evenly. They still save 2 million in cap space and upgrade the spot with a younger corner
              Last edited by Redeyejedi; 02-02-2013, 12:18 AM.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by TextureDj View Post
                Ok, thats what I was getting at, they can extend the contract without creating a new contract. So in the case of a player they want to kepp long term, like Eli it canhelp to a degree lessen the impact of previous restructures. Providint the player isn't looking for a big raise.

                Right. That's why I keep saying they should extend Eli. They can give him a base of $12 mil. Maybe guarantee some of it, and it would drop his cap hit from 20+ to more like 15-17. Saving them a good amount of money. Maybe they could get away with a base of even less if they guarantee enough. Maybe 10. Save themselves like 5 mil in cap room a season, all the while Eli doesn't ever take an actual pay cut.

                Comment


                • #53
                  thank you for the work slip , i was too lazy to do it. You have to sometimes make tough cuts, the giants seem to just stick with what they know which imo is wrong. Make the cuts free up room for the future, do not leave us tight and without real starting linebackers and half an oline again.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    We should give Mike Jenkins a shot. 1-2 years at a modest salary.
                    My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Thought I would add what releasing T2 this season will do, which is all but guaranteed.

                      Savings of 2.25 mil on the cap, dead space of 750k.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        n/m.. I underestimated T2's cap hit for next year.. For some reason I thought he was making over $4 million next year

                        Still.. I don't think the Giants cap situation is all that bad as people are making it out to be.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Also Jacobs $2 mil dead money clears.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by drewz View Post
                            n/m.. I underestimated T2's cap hit for next year.. For some reason I thought he was making over $4 million next year

                            Still.. I don't think the Giants cap situation is all that bad as people are making it out to be.
                            Yeah he's due a $6m roster bonus, but capwise it gets spread out over the length of the contract, so next season the bonus would only account for $2m.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Clint Sintims dead money hit of 400k also clears.

                              Then he will be off the books completely.


                              Giants have a rollover of roughly 1 mil as well.

                              And we dont know what the cap will be for next season yet, though its projected to be about the same.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Drez View Post
                                Yeah he's due a $6m roster bonus, but capwise it gets spread out over the length of the contract, so next season the bonus would only account for $2m.
                                IIRC, theres only the $1 million signing bonus that's fully guaranteed. That would be the $750K cap hit. If he isn't cut, everything gets fully guaranteed

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X