No announcement yet.

Salary cap ramifications of cutting players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webster should pay us to be on the team.

Comment

We should get Sintim back and convert to a 3-4. Sintim could be our Von Miller.

#PostsThatWouldInfuriateSlip
      My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Turns out I screwed up ALL of this years savings for everyone with more than one year left.

I added both signing bonuses in for this year and next. When in reality they are paying this years signing bonus either way. So I should have just done base minus one years signing bonus.

Plus as Garafolo noted, teams could defer the payment on signing bonuses. They don't have to hit all the current year, the teams can spread them out

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post

Plus as Garafolo noted, teams could defer the payment on signing bonuses. They don't have to hit all the current year, the teams can spread them out
          I'll be the bigger man and won't take you to "I Told You So" land.
          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
            I'll be the bigger man and won't take you to "I Told You So" land.
            If you are talking about the team actually paying the player then no. It's all up front. I'm just talking about the signing bonus for the salary cap.

Comment

If you are talking about the team actually paying the player then no. It's all up front. I'm just talking about the signing bonus for the salary cap.
              Yeah I was talking about cap hit. I could care less when the player actually gets the money
              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Yeah I was talking about cap hit. I could care less when the player actually gets the money
                Yea. I had always heard they could possibly do this just didn't get it confirmed. I'm still not sure how it works. If they can just defer it back to the original contract length.

For instance cut a guy with a 5 year contract in his second year could they defer it for the remaining 3 years? Or only for 2 of it?

Comment

Slip, I saw your convo with Mike G on twitter. You thinking about updating your original post with your recent enlightenment? It could help all of us GM Lay-people.

Comment

Originally posted by PBTimmons View Post
                    Slip, I saw your convo with Mike G on twitter. You thinking about updating your original post with your recent enlightenment? It could help all of us GM Lay-people.
                    I will. It's just a pain to do it on my phone while I'm at work.

Comment

Yea. I had always heard they could possibly do this just didn't get it confirmed. I'm still not sure how it works. If they can just defer it back to the original contract length.

For instance cut a guy with a 5 year contract in his second year could they defer it for the remaining 3 years? Or only for 2 of it?
                      Not sure but part of it can be contractual.

For instance the Eagles didn't cut Vick, which means he gets his $3 mill roster bonus. However the roster bonus is a collective agreement, meaning that if he goes to another team and gets more than $3 mill, then the Eagles are off the hook for it.

Not exactly the same thing but you get the idea. I've heard both ways on signing bonuses ... cap hit prorated over two years after cut and over the original life of the contract. I haven't been able to confirm either way.

Comment

Not sure but part of it can be contractual.

For instance the Eagles didn't cut Vick, which means he gets his $3 mill roster bonus. However the roster bonus is a collective agreement, meaning that if he goes to another team and gets more than $3 mill, then the Eagles are off the hook for it.

Not exactly the same thing but you get the idea. I've heard both ways on signing bonuses ... cap hit prorated over two years after cut and over the original life of the contract. I haven't been able to confirm either way.
                        Well I don't think it would be contractual because it doesn't really concern the player at all. Just how the team handles the salary cap. I think they get to make the decision when releasing a player how they want that signing bonus handled.

But for now, I'm just going to assume that all future signing bonus prorates and hits the season the player is released. Won't be always right, but it should be pretty accurate for our needs

Comment

Well I don't think it would be contractual because it doesn't really concern the player at all. Just how the team handles the salary cap. I think they get to make the decision when releasing a player how they want that signing bonus handled.

But for now, I'm just going to assume that all future signing bonus prorates and hits the season the player is released. Won't be always right, but it should be pretty accurate for our needs
                          http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

Point # 1.7e

If that's correct, then the remaining signing bonus that was prorated is counted against the cap the year the player is cut.

However, I have heard of instances where this number is spread out farther and I believe THAT is contractual (i.e. what's in the particular contract details).

Comment

Bye Bye Bradshaw, Boley, Diehl, Tuck, and Webster.

Comment

http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

Point # 1.7e

If that's correct, then the remaining signing bonus that was prorated is counted against the cap the year the player is cut.

However, I have heard of instances where this number is spread out farther and I believe THAT is contractual (i.e. what's in the particular contract details).
                              Right. That is exactly the part I am unsure of with how it is handled. To keep it simple it's easier to just accelerate all the signing bonus money to the season the player is cut.

Doing it this way had the added benefit that all of a players cap hit will be completely off the sheets for the following season.

Comment

Working...
                              X