Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry Webby should go.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sorry Webby should go.......

    We need to send him off and save some cap room. In 2007 he emerged right towards the end of the season, where we had drafted a 1st round CB, AND brought in a reasonably priced vet CB in Sam Madison to play and school our younger DBs. I say ditch Web head before 2013 season......draft a high round CB, and bring in a low priced vet to play/tutor the draft pick as well as Prince and Hosley. Heck Rolle used to play CB when he was first drafted by ARI, he can mentor these guys too for that matter........

  • #2
    And be replaced by whom?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Drez View Post
      And be replaced by whom?
      did you read his post he said draft a high round cb and bring in a vet. i agree with op 1000% webster was TERRIBLE this year.
      sigpic
      FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

      2015 season tbd

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ryan12 View Post
        did you read his post he said draft a high round cb and bring in a vet. i agree with op 1000% webster was TERRIBLE this year.
        Now, I am not defending Webster's piss poor season, it was really bad but do you think the injuries he sustained had a significant impact on his season?

        Comment


        • #5
          He was pretty bad, but I'd like to imagine that a bit of bad luck played a big role.

          Webster was in position to defend most of the passes he got burned on. He just wasn't finding the ball/finishing the play. You cant judge a guy on one bad year when hes been a solid player for us for over half a decade.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ryan12 View Post
            did you read his post he said draft a high round cb and bring in a vet. i agree with op 1000% webster was TERRIBLE this year.
            Nice concept.

            Now give me names.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm curious if they could sign a mid tier FA CB, like for instance Sean Smith for approx 6 or so mil a season. Talib another possibility.
              Always have the pacman jones who actually has been a law abiding citizen for awhile now. Darius Butler also, but I'm not sure he is a scheme fit.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                I'm curious if they could sign a mid tier FA CB, like for instance Sean Smith for approx 6 or so mil a season. Talib another possibility.
                Always have the pacman jones who actually has been a law abiding citizen for awhile now. Darius Butler also, but I'm not sure he is a scheme fit.
                CWeb is going to be $3 mil to cut.

                Bring in another FA CB of CWebs' quality from 2011 or prior is going to be $8 mil+. If you go cheaper, you're getting a worse player ... so why would you want to be worse at a key defensive position?

                And we couldn't afford it.

                Keep CWeb this year and hope he rebounds (history dictates that he will), draft a CB high up, and go into 2014 with Prince, Hosely and New Guy.
                I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by shane4177 View Post
                  Heck Rolle used to play CB when he was first drafted by ARI, he can mentor these guys too for that matter........


                  I get where you are coming from everywhere else but with the way Rolle's career has played out, he shouldn't be anywhere near the CBs. Prince heading into his 3rd year should be an experienced enough mentor to handle the CBs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                    CWeb is going to be $3 mil to cut.

                    Bring in another FA CB of CWebs' quality from 2011 or prior is going to be $8 mil+. If you go cheaper, you're getting a worse player ... so why would you want to be worse at a key defensive position?

                    And we couldn't afford it.

                    Keep CWeb this year and hope he rebounds (history dictates that he will), draft a CB high up, and go into 2014 with Prince, Hosely and New Guy.
                    So long as the player isn't making more than Webster's base salary we won't be losing money on the deal. If there's a realistic option out there, then it should be explored.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                      CWeb is going to be $3 mil to cut.

                      Bring in another FA CB of CWebs' quality from 2011 or prior is going to be $8 mil+. If you go cheaper, you're getting a worse player ... so why would you want to be worse at a key defensive position?

                      And we couldn't afford it.

                      Keep CWeb this year and hope he rebounds (history dictates that he will), draft a CB high up, and go into 2014 with Prince, Hosely and New Guy.
                      Cweb's quality for this year or previous ones? We couldn't possibly find a vet FA that would cost less than 8mil? How much did we give Sam Madison back in '07.....I don't think it was that much....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No keep him. How long can one guy block receivers especialy good ones who may be faster than him. He may also tried to assist others in Fewel's hard coverage scheme.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Drez View Post
                          So long as the player isn't making more than Webster's base salary we won't be losing money on the deal. If there's a realistic option out there, then it should be explored.
                          CWeb's base salary was determined in 2008 AND he was a draft pick of ours in his second contract.

                          Generally speaking, Free Agency is always paying retail ... I.E. it would cost you more to replace that existing talent than just to keep the existing talent. Normally I wouldn't mind but we have about $10 million we need to shed from our cap as it is.
                          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                            CWeb's base salary was determined in 2008 AND he was a draft pick of ours in his second contract.

                            Generally speaking, Free Agency is always paying retail ... I.E. it would cost you more to replace that existing talent than just to keep the existing talent. Normally I wouldn't mind but we have about $10 million we need to shed from our cap as it is.
                            Like I said, if we can upgrade and save money (or not lose) then it should be explored. If not, then not.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by shane4177 View Post
                              Cweb's quality for this year or previous ones? We couldn't possibly find a vet FA that would cost less than 8mil? How much did we give Sam Madison back in '07.....I don't think it was that much....
                              A few factors to consider:

                              1) Corner Backs on the whole make A LOT more money since 2009 (the defenseless receiver rule).

                              2) A Sam Madison equivalent would be a HUGE down grade over what we have now.

                              3) Sam Madison had a magical season out of nowhere in 2007. He hadn't duplicated that kind of success since his rookie contract (and arguably 2007 was a career year for him to boot). You can't expect that kind of cheap out-of-nowhere performance.

                              4) Sam Madison at his best had about the same season as CWeb's 2012 season. Just an FYI.

                              5) CWeb wasn't nearly so bad as people are making him out to be in 2012. A few bad lowlights is all.
                              Last edited by Kruunch; 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM.
                              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X