more mobile QB the wave of the future ,Giants must seek next

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GameTime View Post
    they have designed running plays?? Ben and Flacco....???

ahhh....ok I guess.....

they both do , now it might be less than some rg3 and kap guys but they do have option and designed running plays.

FYI Eli cant even run a qb sneak.

Comment

• I'm sorry, but since when do the Giants follow trends set by other teams?

Comment

• Originally posted by Harooni View Post

they both do , now it might be less than some rg3 and kap guys but they do have option and designed running plays.

Just because Ben might have 10 or so designed runs a season doesn't make him a hybrid, nor even really say that it's a significant part of their offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drez View Post
          Just because Ben might have 10 or so designed runs a season doesn't make him a hybrid, nor even really say that it's a significant part of their offense.
          as i said the capabilty is there its not about how much you use it .

as i tell my wife

Comment

• Flacco? He is a classic drop back passer like Eli.

Comment

as i said the capabilty is there its not about how much you use it .

as i tell my wife
              First off...I think we all assume that "wife" is in quotes. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Secondly...I think that your logic is flawed. Are you saying that if the Giants had a potential Tom Brady available, they should pass on him because there is a need for a QB to have the ability to be mobile?

That's crazy talk.

But if you are saying that, if all things are equal, pick the QB who is more mobile, then at least it's a defensible position.
              I may think it's wrong, but defensible.

Thirdly, the "wave of the future" is at best a statistical anomaly. The fact that 2012 draft class had 3 QB's who fit your description does not mean that the class of 2013 (or 2014) will have any QB's that fit your description.

Or that the wave of the future will sweep the league.
              Or that it will be proven successful long term.
              Or that teams are saying anything more than "we need a tighter game plan against these guys"

Last wave of the future QB I remember was Cam Newton, and if you stopped watching football after the last SB, you just assumed that Newton won this one because he was unstoppable.
              Every single day I log onto this message board thinking i've seen it all, every single day I am wrong...NYGiants2120

Comment

• Ben is not a mobile QB.... he is just big and hard to bring down. He is also hurt almost every season and he should probably be in prison. RGIII has proven what poor coaching can do to a great player. The Shanahans have severely jeopardized his career with all the run schemes they have him involved with.

Another flaw with this OP's POV is that he neglects to count for the fact defenses will evolve and be able to defend scrambling QBs in thei division more efficiently. Also, age and injuries creeps up on these guys much faster, and the next thing you know, they are drop back passers.

Give me a quality QB that can move around in the pocket to buy time, can read defenses, make correct adjustments at the LOS, and deliver an accurate ball.... Those are the guys who will continue to win Championships.

Comment

• Originally posted by rebelfan1966 View Post
                  Ben is not a mobile QB.... he is just big and hard to bring down. He is also hurt almost every season and he should probably be in prison. RGIII has proven what poor coaching can do to a great player. The Shanahans have severely jeopardized his career with all the run schemes they have him involved with.

Another flaw with this OP's POV is that he neglects to count for the fact defenses will evolve and be able to defend scrambling QBs in thei division more efficiently. Also, age and injuries creeps up on these guys much faster, and the next thing you know, they are drop back passers.

Give me a quality QB that can move around in the pocket to buy time, can read defenses, make correct adjustments at the LOS, and deliver an accurate ball.... Those are the guys who will continue to win Championships.
                  Ben's not a running QB but he certainly is a mobile QB.
                  And you have to let go of this "Ben should be in prison" rap. You weren't there and you have no idea what did or didn't happen.
                  Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

ehh....Ben and Flacco are still not hybrids.....IMO.
                    if you think they are then so be it....
                    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

• I didn't read this whole thread, sorry but here's my short input. With what I did read I do tend to agree that eventually all QB's must develop into more of a pocket passer to not only win a championship but to also prolong their career. I don't think I would want a run first type QB like Vick but I wouldn't mind to have a guy who has scrambling abilities... meaning one who can escape the pocket if a play breaks down. Someone like a Geno Smith fits that mold... I like Johnny Manziel but I think he's a run first type and might get hurt in the NFL.

I wouldn't like a QB who's inaccurate or doesn't at least go through his reads before trying to take off unless the play is designed. I think when some of us say mobile QB's some of you guys get us confused. In years past, most scrambling QB's didn't win the big game because coaches didn't know how to use em right. Imagine a young Vick in the option offense, he probably would've been more effective.

Comment

• Originally posted by BurnerNYG View Post
                        I didn't read this whole thread, sorry but here's my short input. With what I did read I do tend to agree that eventually all QB's must develop into more of a pocket passer to not only win a championship but to also prolong their career. I don't think I would want a run first type QB like Vick but I wouldn't mind to have a guy who has scrambling abilities... meaning one who can escape the pocket if a play breaks down. Someone like a Geno Smith fits that mold... I like Johnny Manziel but I think he's a run first type and might get hurt in the NFL.

I wouldn't like a QB who's inaccurate or doesn't at least go through his reads before trying to take off unless the play is designed. I think when some of us say mobile QB's some of you guys get us confused. In years past, most scrambling QB's didn't win the big game because coaches didn't know how to use em right. Imagine a young Vick in the option offense, he probably would've been more effective.
                        Vick would be horrible in an option offense. One of the biggest things you need in an option scheme (outside of the physical ability of course) is to be able to read defenses reasonably well. That is something that Vick has never excelled at.

Honestly, I don't care what kind of QB the Giants pick up after Eli is gone, so long as he's good. However, I'm not a terribly big fan of having too many designed runs for the QB. It's just too much wear and tear, and if you're going to pay a guy big bucks I'd prefer that we'd do all that we could to keep him healthy.

Joe Montana brought up a very interesting point today on the radio about running QBs and why they might become less effective than traditional drop back passers: What do you often see a RB do after a big run? Check himself out of the game for a couple plays while he catches his breath. As a QB, you can't do that. You have to stay in the game even if you're winded. And if you're winded, you might not be able to throw the ball as well or possibly even read the defense as well.

I don't know. I just thought that that was an interesting tidbit that I don't think anyone has mentioned before.

Comment

Vick would be horrible in an option offense. One of the biggest things you need in an option scheme (outside of the physical ability of course) is to be able to read defenses reasonably well. That is something that Vick has never excelled at.

Honestly, I don't care what kind of QB the Giants pick up after Eli is gone, so long as he's good. However, I'm not a terribly big fan of having too many designed runs for the QB. It's just too much wear and tear, and if you're going to pay a guy big bucks I'd prefer that we'd do all that we could to keep him healthy.

Joe Montana brought up a very interesting point today on the radio about running QBs and why they might become less effective than traditional drop back passers: What do you often see a RB do after a big run? Check himself out of the game for a couple plays while he catches his breath. As a QB, you can't do that. You have to stay in the game even if you're winded. And if you're winded, you might not be able to throw the ball as well or possibly even read the defense as well.

I don't know. I just thought that that was an interesting tidbit that I don't think anyone has mentioned before.
                          I said that to my wife the other day while watching the Superbowl. It's a true assessment and I always wondered how physically drained a QB felt after a long run. As far as reading a defense in the option offense, your number one read is reading the defensive end. Vick could've done that.

Comment

• Originally posted by BurnerNYG View Post
                            As far as reading a defense in the option offense, your number one read is reading the defensive end. Vick could've done that.
                            I don't know about that, lol. j/k, mostly, I think.

Comment

I don't know about that, lol. j/k, mostly, I think.
                              Lol

Comment

What a great QB sneak that was! Almost got in the endzone too! =P

Comment

Working...
                                X