These cuts should put all veterans on notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These cuts should put all veterans on notice

This is exactly what the Giants needed to do. Too many vets with superbowl rings, who aren't as hungry as they used to be. It's a clear message, win football games to justify your contract or start looking for a new team.

Well sort of agree, but I thought Canty and Bradshaw especially were some of the highest effort players on the team.

Comment

Yup. Tuck should be looking over both shoulders as well as Webster.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
        Well sort of agree, but I thought Canty and Bradshaw especially were some of the highest effort players on the team.
        I agree with ya on the effort, but Canty's play has declined significantly. The Bradshaw cut I don't agree with..that was purely to say money IMO or the team doctors know more about his feet than what has been released to the media. Maybe they just don't think his feet will ever be the same

Comment

Originally posted by TheBookOfEli View Post
          Yup. Tuck should be looking over both shoulders as well as Webster.
          Tuck will have to play hard this season because he doesn't have a choice

Comment

Originally posted by DownWitJPP View Post
            I agree with ya on the effort, but Canty's play has declined significantly. The Bradshaw cut I don't agree with..that was purely to say money IMO or the team doctors know more about his feet than what has been released to the media. Maybe they just don't think his feet will ever be the same
            Canty was probably the best DL on the team last year when he was playing and healthy. Which wasent often, but he was really good.

Comment

Originally posted by WinterIsComing View Post
              This is exactly what the Giants needed to do. Too many vets with superbowl rings, who aren't as hungry as they used to be. It's a clear message, win football games to justify your contract or start looking for a new team.
              I'm not so sure that's the message here. Bradshaw played his heart out, Boley was a hard worker whose play dropped off with several injuries. I see it more as a change in FO philosophy regarding restructuring contracts to the extent we have in recent years. Restructuring is, at best, a short term fix but it's a long term problem. Eli's restructure, as an example, made CAP life far more difficult over the life of his contract than had they just left it alone.

The financial chickens have come home to roost and Reese is clearing out as much as he can and still compete in 2013 IMO.
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

I do kind of feel bad about Bradshaw. He poured his heart & soul into the game for us every weekend. Lets hope he gets a good shot and decent money on another team.

That said, I am EXTREMELY excited to see the Wilson-Brown 1-2 punch. That should be an electric running game. Not to mention a healthy Nicks, an improved randle, Cruz, and the rest. The only iffy spot on the offense is O-line and i think Jerry knows this. It will be fixed.

Comment

Canty was probably the best DL on the team last year when he was playing and healthy. Which wasent often, but he was really good.
                  our interior D-line played like garbage including Joseph. RB's were running right up the middle on us with ease

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                    I'm not so sure that's the message here. Bradshaw played his heart out, Boley was a hard worker whose play dropped off with several injuries. I see it more as a change in FO philosophy regarding restructuring contracts to the extent we have in recent years.
                    I dont think its that either.

They just eliminated 10 mil on the salary cap and released three guys who were injured all or most of last season.

They were already over the cap, so this frees up some room to spend elsewhere.

Comment

our interior D-line played like garbage including Joseph. RB's were running right up the middle on us with ease
                      Theres a lot more to that than just DT play.

Comment

Sounds like Reese is cleaning house... time to get younger on the team. I don't know what the future will bring (especially with the draft ahead of us), but I haven't felt this hopeful in ages. I thank these guys for their service, but now it's time to move on.

Only cut so far that doesn't make sense is Bradshaw. Doesn't that clear up negative cap space?

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

That's true, however we don't know what Reese has planned in terms of replacement. Let's stop and think a minute. JPP, Tuck, and Kiwanuka have all played at DT and while that may not be ideal, we have Tracy and Ojomo on tap and I, for one, have confidence art last one of them is going to step up in 2013. Nothing prevents Reese from signing a veteran for a one year deal either.

This is more to do with making CAP space than getting rid of players.
                          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                            Doesn't that clear up negative cap space?
                            Clears 2.75 million. Possibly clears 3.5 million if they instead chose to let 1.25 mil of it hit next season instead.

Comment

Clears 2.75 million. Possibly clears 3.5 million if they instead chose to let 1.25 mil of it hit next season instead.
                              I could have sworn that it cost more to cut him than to keep him...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X