Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sapp says he clearly should have made Hall over Giants great, 'media darling' Strahan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sapp is a media darling too, no?
    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Pksoze View Post
      Sapp was a lot of hype. He had a great peak but he wasn't the best on his team. That was Derrick Brooks. Sapp was also a joke on the Raiders. Unlike Strahan, Sapp was also cut in his "peak years". I'm literally stunned that guy got in over Strahan.
      Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
      Sapp was a parody of himself in his twilight years, Strahan was still dominant.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
        I personally like Sapp a lot. But I would say the Strahan/Sapp argument has good points to be made on both sides.

Having said that.......

......I truly believe however that the fake sack record and the way it was gotten, had a direct impact on the HOF voting this year. Obviously Strahan is a Hall of Fame quality player and will definitely get in, probably next year.
        But if you guys don't think that fiasco with Favre didn't have an impact with some voters, you're kidding yourselves.

I wouldn't go so far as calling it "FAKE".
        I remember the play well and yeah...Favre gave it up and went down on his own, but the fact is Strahan still got to him fair and square, and Favre had no time to run or get rid of the ball, so he went down.
        Really no less a sack than a QB being touched down after he falls on a botched snap.
        I'm not saying you're wrong about it being a reason he was left out, I'm just saying that if it was the reason, it's stupid because that one shouldn't overshadow all the others leading up to the record. But knowing how drunk with power these fart sniffing writers are with their almighty votes, you're probably right.
        Last edited by bigblue58; 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM.
        "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

I personally like Sapp a lot. But I would say the Strahan/Sapp argument has good points to be made on both sides.

Having said that.......

......I truly believe however that the fake sack record and the way it was gotten, had a direct impact on the HOF voting this year. Obviously Strahan is a Hall of Fame quality player and will definitely get in, probably next year.
          But if you guys don't think that fiasco with Favre didn't have an impact with some voters, you're kidding yourselves.
          So, you have talked to Strahan and Favre and they have confirmed that it was a "staged" sack? What about all the sacks that lead up to that one? I lost respect for Sapp when he shoved the Packers coach when leaving the field..... Not to mention he is a blow hard.

Strahan will always be the better player in my humble opinion.....

Comment

Having said that.......

There's no debating that both players are worthy of the HoF. And I agree that the sack record was probably stuck in some voters' minds negatively.

Shame ... although being honored next year at Giants' Stadium is a nice consolation prize.
            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post
              Fake sack..... are you serious dude?
              I remember the play well and yeah...Favre gave it up and went down on his own, but the fact is Strahan still got to him fair and square, and Favre had no time to run or get rid of the ball, so he went down.
              Really no less a sack than a QB being touched down after he falls on a botched snap.
              That's a good point, because for the sack to have been staged, the Offensive Line had to be in on the conspiracy..... I vaguely recall the play myself, and I don't think it was staged either.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                Forgetting my bias for a moment .... can someone logically explain to me why Sapp is in the HoF before Strahan?

Less sacks, tackles, pass defenses, forced fumbles, safeties, TDs and Super Bowl appearances.

Then let's consider strength of position. Strahan was the second highest rated strong side DE in NFL history (behind Reggie White).

Warren Sapp (DT) arguably doesn't even rate in the Top 10 at his position (Randle, Green, Grier, Kennedy, Olsen, White, Lilly, Page, Perry, Selmon).

Sapp: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...S/SappWa00.htm

Strahan: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...S/StraMi02.htm

I don't get it.
                U cant compare stats between 2 different positions. I think Strahan should of got in over Parcells

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                  U cant compare stats between 2 different positions. I think Strahan should of got in over Parcells
                  Which is why I compared strength of position.

And I think Strahan should have got in over Sapp and Ogden. Parcels was a great coach for his SB runs, but more than that, he was revolutionary in his capacity for rebuilding broken teams (his eye for talent is often overlooked).

Then again, I'm biased there too
                  I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by njg85m View Post
                    Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
                    Sapp was a parody of himself in his twilight years, Strahan was still dominant.
                    Sapp had 10 sacks the year before he retired at DT. U know how rare that is. He did that 4 times. Only 2 guys have done it since he retired . Suh who had 10 and Geno Atkins this season

Comment

Ogden was incredible. He was so dominating at his position he should have absolutely made it.

Comment

With Strahan being the only first ballot player to not make the Hall this year, I think it speaks volumes as to how the media feels about Strahan's sack record.

Whenever you have someone who not only owns the single season record, but is also ranked 5th all time in that major statistical category, you would think it would be a no brainer. Not in this case and unfortunately it shows how screwed up the HoF voters are. Just look how long it took Chris Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                          Which is why I compared strength of position.

And I think Strahan should have got in over Sapp and Ogden. Parcels was a great coach for his SB runs, but more than that, he was revolutionary in his capacity for rebuilding broken teams (his eye for talent is often overlooked).

Then again, I'm biased there too
                          He is the gold standard for the 3 tech. When people talk about the Under tackle in a 4-3 Under he is the player all others are compared to, Strahan doesnt get that kind of admiration

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
                            Ogden was incredible. He was so dominating at his position he should have absolutely made it.
                            Ogden and Larry Allen were as good as it gets. Coaches should be in another category they should let 1 coach or GM in every 5 years or something like that

Comment

It is all staged for him to get elected next year at his home. That will be the icing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                                He is the gold standard for the 3 tech. When people talk about the Under tackle in a 4-3 Under he is the player all others are compared to, Strahan doesnt get that kind of admiration
                                I totally disagree. Sapp doesn't even fit the mold for a prototypical 3-tech due to his freaky athleticism. It would be like trying to train running backs by having them emulate Adrian Petersen.

Strahan is the epitome of what you want a 4-3 strong side DE to be.

And Ogden was an OT of one of the worst offenses in the NFL during his time (not to mention a primarily run-oriented offense). He was a very good OT but not on the par *at his position* that Strahan was at his.

Comment

Working...
                                X