Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antrel Rolle: Debating His Future With The Giants

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/2/8/...-michael-boley

Excerpt: "Today, let's talk about Rolle. We have to do it because the Giants are still in a salary cap bind, only about $2 million under the cap at this moment with several of their own big-name players to re-sign and 19 players about to become unrestricted free agents, and Rolle has a base salary of $7 million. That, incidentally, is equal to Webster's 2013 salary. The difference being Rolle has two years left on the five-year, $37 million contract he signed with the Giants while Webster is in the final year of his deal.

Let me be clear here. I do not believe Rolle is going anywhere, nor do I believe he should.
    Sure, Rolle is overpaid. He is paid like a premier safety, a perennial All-Pro. He has never been that and has probably been overpaid since the day he signed his Giants contract. The Giants, though, did what they had to do when the signed him. After suffering through a season of watching C.C. Brown and Aaron Rouse pretend to be NFL-caliber safeties they paid the asking price to bring in a legitimate one.

Rolle may or may not be a great player, what you think of his skills is for you to decide. He is, at the least, a good one. Probably more importantly to the Giants, he is the vocal leader -- the heartbeat -- of the Giants' defense. That comment comes with apologies to defensive captain Justin Tuck, but Tuck seems to have been lost in a fog the past couple of seasons while trying to figure out where his own career is going, while Rolle has become the voice of the defense." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I have a hard time understanding that a player that has not put out for 2 YEARS is still on the team. Yet over paid or not Rolle always came to play.Just my thoughts
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

Comment

The Giants look to the future at safety by cutting Rolle, signing Phillips (maybe franchise), sign Brown and use Hill and Sash as depth.

Could anyone see this as a possibility?
      "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

Originally posted by titwio View Post
        The Giants look to the future at safety by cutting Rolle, signing Phillips (maybe franchise), sign Brown and use Hill and Sash as depth.

Could anyone see this as a possibility?
        God I hope so.
        I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
          God I hope so.
          The Giants just seem to have so many options at safety that are cheaper. Rolle's contract should way heavy on Reese's thought process (at least IMO). Will Hill is actually similar to Rolle in the fact he can play the nickel and down in the box as well. He shut down Jimmy Graham pretty well.

I don't know the details but I wonder how much the Giants save in cap space if they were to actually to do this. I don't know...seems like it would make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ibbill View Post
            I have a hard time understanding that a player that has not put out for 2 YEARS is still on the team. Yet over paid or not Rolle always came to play.Just my thoughts
            Rolle was signed to give us a player we couldn't seem to develop. Has he been that? Is he worth his contract? I don't know. But he does play almost every snap and he has been one of the leaders in tackles. I'm not saying tackles is the only measure of a defensive player, but he's not doing nothing.
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Rolle is like the Diehl of the defense. He has versatility sure but none of it really makes you excited considering the price you have to pay (in terms of cap hits) for his services. Some people really love him and others wouldn't blink an eye if he was gone tomorrow. It's a divisive topic on this MB and others for sure.

Comment

Just remember, Not all Browns are created equal. Stevie is NOT C.C...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by titwio View Post
                  The Giants just seem to have so many options at safety that are cheaper. Rolle's contract should way heavy on Reese's thought process (at least IMO). Will Hill is actually similar to Rolle in the fact he can play the nickel and down in the box as well. He shut down Jimmy Graham pretty well.

I don't know the details but I wonder how much the Giants save in cap space if they were to actually to do this. I don't know...seems like it would make sense.
                  I believe Rolle has already restructured once and, personally, I think a lot of restructuring is what really put us behind in CAP space. I hope he stays but if they can;t do that without restructuring, they should release him. We have to remember his contract was an agreement between him and the team so it's not like he held a gun to their heads.

Comment

....if its a sound business move they will let him go. If its not they wont.....
                    pretty simple.
                    His play nor his leadership(?) will not play a factor IMO. Neither is stellar as far as I am concerned.
                    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                      Just remember, Not all Browns are created equal. Stevie is NOT C.C...
                      Thank goodness for that

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                        Rolle is like the Diehl of the defense. He has versatility sure but none of it really makes you excited considering the price you have to pay (in terms of cap hits) for his services. Some people really love him and others wouldn't blink an eye if he was gone tomorrow. It's a divisive topic on this MB and others for sure.
                        I've actually been one of the Rolle supporters. The guy never misses games, is a vocal leader and has been very versatile. The thing is his massive contract. Reese over spent on free agents that year and with Canty and Boley already gone...I don't think cutting Rolle should be all that surprising. Especially when the Giants have a lot of youth and depth at that position.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                          Whatever you think of Rolle, the fact that he is overpaid is not his doing.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                            I believe Rolle has already restructured once and, personally, I think a lot of restructuring is what really put us behind in CAP space. I hope he stays but if they can;t do that without restructuring, they should release him. We have to remember his contract was an agreement between him and the team so it's not like he held a gun to their heads.
                            Agree

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                              Whatever you think of Rolle, the fact that he is overpaid is not his doing.
                              You are right about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X