Sean Rodgers a good deal!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Chaos
    started a topic Sean Rodgers a good deal!

Sean Rodgers a good deal!

Nice signing by Reese...

From Jenny V at the star ledger:
    Defensive tackle Shaun Rogers returned to the Giants on a one-year deal worth $1.005 million, but it is also a split contract to protect the team against injury. Rogers' contract has a $20,000 signing bonus, a $45,000 weight bonus and a base salary of $940,000, but the split lowers his salary to $433,000 if he lands on injured reserve. Rogers spent the 2012 season on IR with a blood clot in his leg. Rogers' base salary counts just $555,000 against the cap because of the veteran minimum salary benefit rule.

EDIT:

http://www.nj.com/giants/team/136042...ear-split.html - RF
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-09-2013, 11:44 AM.

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    Originally posted by jomo View Post
    I agree with that. We need much better from the starter along side Linval next year and Rogers is in all likelihood a backup players signed for a very modest price. It is a good roster move but not the answer.
    It's a piece of the puzzle

Leave a comment:

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    Originally posted by jomo View Post
    +1 and with Rodgers, we have it.
    That is an ideal contract from a team's perspective.

Leave a comment:

• penguinfarmer
    replied
    They need a long term player which will either be a relatively costly FA, or a high round draft pick.

Leave a comment:

• BigBlue1971
    replied
    Originally posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    They were giving him significant reps with first team last season while Canty was on PUP to say that it's still a strong possibility unless they upgrade the position in the offseason.
    Rodgers signing is a good safety gap! someone had to come in to "semi" replace Canty!

i think the Giants will draft a d-tackle in the later rounds. they could bring in another vet at a good price!

Leave a comment:

• penguinfarmer
    replied
    They were giving him significant reps with first team last season while Canty was on PUP to say that it's still a strong possibility unless they upgrade the position in the offseason.

Leave a comment:

• BigJ
    replied
    Do you guys think he will start? Cause i don't think he has enough in the tank asst his age.... But he is an enormous body in the middle. Him and Linval would be a problem to move running up the middle.

Leave a comment:

• joemorrisforprez
    replied
    Originally posted by brad View Post
    I don't expect a whole lot from Rodgers on the field, but he is a good insurance policy. More importantly, he is an experienced veteran that may help bring along the younger guys. This is a smart contract that doesn't hurt the cap much... good signing.
    Alot depends on what else is done in the draft and free agency. Also, it would help if Marvin Austin played like the potential 1st round talent that Reese thought when he took him in the 2nd round.

Marvin Austin is truly the wildcard in this scenario......he's possibly one of the biggest "?" on the roster right now.

So, if Austin steps up, or if they get another DT in the draft or FA, then Rodgers can become a valuable role player in short yardage....this would be the best scenario, because it would save wear and tear on him, and also give guys like Tuck a breather.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 02-10-2013, 01:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brad
    replied
    I don't expect a whole lot from Rodgers on the field, but he is a good insurance policy. More importantly, he is an experienced veteran that may help bring along the younger guys. This is a smart contract that doesn't hurt the cap much... good signing.

Leave a comment:

• joemorrisforprez
    replied
    Originally posted by river555 View Post
    lets hope for the best. but at 33, one year without playing and who knows how much he weighs...it will be interesting to see what he can do
    Agreed......as a fan, I'd love to see him discover the fountain of youth....but I'd be shocked if he lasted a full season without something slowing him down.

It's alot easier to play heavy in your 20's than your 30's.

Still though, for the money, it's a nice move by Reese. As a short yardage/goal defender, you can't beat the price/lb.

Leave a comment:

• giantyankee1976
    replied
    Absolutely, stay off the Injured reserve and get paid nicely...smart, smart deal. Plus the 1 year duration means if he doesn't pan out either on or off-field we can say bye pretty much instantly.

Leave a comment:

• miked1958
    replied
    Originally posted by Carter.525 View Post
    Nice, Stay healthy big fella.. please
    yes actually great deal i comparison with what they'd have to give Canty. Now if he can produce at least as much as Canty did. Which shouldn't be hard seeing he missed half of last season and when he finally came back he was a shell of his former self

Leave a comment:

• jomo
    replied
    Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Don't read into this move much. Rogers is a good backup to have and a good signing by JR because none of our DT proved worthy of ANYTHING last year. We need to draft a DT or bring in a FA that know how to play the run!
    I agree with that. We need much better from the starter along side Linval next year and Rogers is in all likelihood a backup players signed for a very modest price. It is a good roster move but not the answer.

Leave a comment:

• B&RWarrior
    replied
    Don't read into this move much. Rogers is a good backup to have and a good signing by JR because none of our DT proved worthy of ANYTHING last year. We need to draft a DT or bring in a FA that know how to play the run!

Leave a comment:

• nhpgiantsfan
    replied
    Originally posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    The heavy interior with Josepg/Rogers is intriguing to say the least. I'd probably like it a lot more of we got better pressure coming from the ends.
    The DE's will get their sacks if they can get a better push from the DT's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X