Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants Are Expected To Tender RB Andre Brown

http://www.giants101.com/2013/02/09/...k-andre-brown/

Excerpt: "With Ahmad Bradshaw no longer in the picture, the New York Giants are getting thin and inexperienced at the running back position. As such, it will become a significant priority for them to retain Andre Brown, who is slated to become a Restricted Free Agent (RFA) when the new league year begins on March 12th. And much like they plan to do with safety Stevie Brown, it appears a tender is in Andre's immediate future.

However, until the team actually tenders Brown, there's no way of knowing what the amount will be. Tenders begin at $1.323 million for the original-round level, which would be a fourth-round pick for Brown. But, given his success this past season, the Giants may be forced to tender him at a higher level than the original-round pick because it's likely some teams would be willing to part with a fourth-round pick for him." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Lets say we tender him at a 2-3rd round level. If we get offers do we deal him?

Comment

Why tender him...How much could he possibly be to retain? He should come fairly cheap being he hasn't played a full year in 5 seasons. The Giants need to get him signed.
      "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

Originally posted by teaneck View Post
        I say no, we need him. I'm not sure yet if Wilson can carry the full load.

Besides the fact that we need someone to split carries with Wilson, Brown would also be a good goal-line back.

I love Wilson and want him to be a starter but there's no way they throw him into the lion's den like that, specially after seeing how cautious they were with him last year.

Comment

Originally posted by titwio View Post
          Why tender him...How much could he possibly be to retain? He should come fairly cheap being he hasn't played a full year in 5 seasons. The Giants need to get him signed.
          That he hasn't played a full season in five years is exactly why they would tender him. They want him to play a full season before they tie up a long term deal. We also need to see more from Wilson
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Yeah I love Brown, had an excellent year. If we tendered him at a 2nd round level, and we got offers from someone like Miami, I would have to think hard about that one. We could take Eddie Lacey which might be a better long term option.

Comment

Unless we are missing something, I agree completely.
              No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                That he hasn't played a full season in five years is exactly why they would tender him. They want him to play a full season before they tie up a long term deal. We also need to see more from Wilson
                Couldn't they offer him something reasonable and have the opt out clause like they do when players don't maintain a bill of health?

Comment

Couldn't they offer him something reasonable and have the opt out clause like they do when players don't maintain a bill of health?
                  Sure, this is a media opinion. But I can see it happening.

Let's use Rolle as an example. Now, a lot of folks are on Reese for overpaying Rolle. So let's say we sign Brown to a 4 year deal worth whatever, and in mid year two he hits IR. We will be the lead group exclaiming Reese's stupidity for signing Brown to a long term deal given his injury record.
                  Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-09-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Sure, this is a media opinion. But I can see it happening.

Let's use Rolle as an example. Now, a lot of folks are on Reese for overpaying Rolle. So let's say we sign Brown to a 4 year deal worth whatever, and in mid year two he hits IR. We will be the lead group exclaiming Reese's stupidity for signing Brown to a long term deal given his injury record.
                    I would offer him something like 2 yrs with an option to extend based on his bill of health and production. I don't think a long term deal would be wise at all to do right now...basically because of what your saying.

Comment

Originally posted by teaneck View Post
                      Hell to the freaking yes.
                      My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

I would offer him something like 2 yrs with an option to extend based on his bill of health and production. I don't think a long term deal would be wise at all to do right now...basically because of what your saying.
                        Tendering is a signal to the player that they want him but aren't ready to meet whatever his demands are for any number of reasons. Brown may well sign an agreement, but the team has the luxury of using the tender to effectively low ball him with, perhaps, the promise of working out a deal before he's an UFA. SO, the team can get him relatively cheaply and see how he plays in 2013. Another team can make an offer and offer a draft pick if they see him as fitting their needs. The Giants can then match that offer, or not.
                        Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                          Hell to the freaking yes.
                          That might depend on who the team sees as the guy who is going to carry the biggest share of the load.

Comment

Brown is to go to guy now. Everyone knows he's powerful and speedy, Runs good routes and pass protection is there. Injury prone is his downfall. But he's coming around as in the game very productive. TC will not part ways with him, knowing the future is Wilson who can't pass block well yet. Brown, is also a soldier on and off the field and knows his effort is what got him on the field, not raw talent but taught talent and toughness

Comment

Tendering is a signal to the player that they want him but aren't ready to meet whatever his demands are for any number of reasons. Brown may well sign an agreement, but the team has the luxury of using the tender to effectively low ball him with, perhaps, the promise of working out a deal before he's an UFA. SO, the team can get him relatively cheaply and see how he plays in 2013. Another team can make an offer and offer a draft pick if they see him as fitting their needs. The Giants can then match that offer, or not.
                              Good explanation.
                              "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Working...
                              X