Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Bay Buccaners Expected To Pursue Giants' TE Martellus Bennett

http://www.giants101.com/2013/02/10/...ellus-bennett/

The New York Giants signed tight end Martellus Bennett away from the Dallas Cowboys in a free agency a year ago. The one-year deal proved to the Giants that Bennett was worthy of his contract, and should be worthy of a new contract. Meanwhile, Bennett has made it clear he loves playing for the Giants, and would love to remain one, but in the case that a new deal can't be reached, expect the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to make a run at him.

In a Q&A with Tampa Bay Tribune writer Roy Cummings, a fan asked if the Buccaneers will attempt to lure Bennett to Tampa in free agency.

"I will be a little surprised if the Bucs don't target Bennett, and I can see them going after the cornerbacks you mentioned," the fan wrote.

"Remember, if the Bucs retain DE Michael Bennett – and my guess is they will go after his brother Martellus in the hopes of creating a package deal – they can use Michael Bennett and Daniel Te'o-Nesheim inside," Cummings replied." Read more...

• nycsportzfan
    replied
    Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    They must see talent, no?
    Derrick Ward was a huge bust for them.. Kinda reminds me of Bennett in a way, as far as not doing much first few yrs in the league and then kinda comes outtta nowhere and produces and then the bucs sign em to big money and he does nothing..

I woulden't be upset at all if we lost Bennett.. We've plugged TE's in before and they produced, and i'd expect no diffrent with a cheaper alternative.. I want to spend money on getting our defense in order more then anything..

Leave a comment:

• GiantRoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post
    I think we should bring Marty B. back just on his value as a blocker alone.

The guy dropped some passes, but all in all he was a bright spot for us and he played great this past year.

He proved he can be effective if he is the main guy, and he loves being a GIANT.

I hope we bring him back too.
    Good points. In the long run he may end up being more cost effective. MB had some drops, but so did Cruz. Cruz would not throw a block either. That's one thing I love about Nicks. He's down field making blocks when he has to. There is still so much to come as far as player moves. I still think Marty will be back though.

Leave a comment:

• GiantRoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Mercury View Post
    If you would pay MB top 5 TE money, I'm glad you are not the Giants GM.
    To whom is this addressed?

Leave a comment:

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Drez View Post
    You know how the saying goes... You can tell if a deal is a good when if both parties leave the table a little unhappy.
    Well said

Leave a comment:

• Drez
    replied
    It really doesn't matter what Cruz "wants." What matters is what he'll agree to.
    You know how the saying goes... You can tell if a deal is a good when if both parties leave the table a little unhappy.

Leave a comment:

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Are we being unrealistic? I think Cruz wants top 5 money. I also think Nicks will want more than Cruz? Can that really work out? If it does we must accept having a blue collar TE and no superstars on the OL.
    It really doesn't matter what Cruz "wants." What matters is what he'll agree to.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty192
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg Schiano View Post
    You know, you're trying to sneak around and do some tampering before Free Agency actually begins and the Tampa Tribune has to go and ruin everything. Now I've got like 8 missed phone calls from Roger Goodell, all I hear is "Tampering... blah blah blah... fines.... blah blah blah blah... *Message Deleted*"
    lol!

Leave a comment:

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post

The guy dropped some passes, but all in all he was a bright spot for us and he played great this past year.

He proved he can be effective if he is the main guy, and he loves being a GIANT.

+1

Leave a comment:

• Tommy_Ribs
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gmen2005
    replied
    Damn, I'm really hoping they can bring him back. He was a pleasure to watch this year.

Leave a comment:

• Greg Schiano
    replied
    You know, you're trying to sneak around and do some tampering before Free Agency actually begins and the Tampa Tribune has to go and ruin everything. Now I've got like 8 missed phone calls from Roger Goodell, all I hear is "Tampering... blah blah blah... fines.... blah blah blah blah... *Message Deleted*"

Leave a comment:

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    Are we being unrealistic? I think Cruz wants top 5 money. I also think Nicks will want more than Cruz? Can that really work out? If it does we must accept having a blue collar TE and no superstars on the OL.
    Reese has to be persuasive because he doesn't have access to enough money. He needs to deliver a "fire in the belly" speech and then some. One of them will have to be agreeable to back loading

Leave a comment:

• B&RWarrior
    replied
    It's a gamble, but if I were advising Nicks that would be my advice. If Nicks has a knock out first 8 games in 2013, I'd go to Reese and start negotiations on firmer footing than coming off a foot and knee plagued season.

Leave a comment:

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    RF is dead on! I say if we're smart we give Nicks an offer right after Cruz, before the season starts. If he makes it through 16 games his asking price goes up. Use the same way we got Osi on the cheap, make the offer before the market appreciates. Make it juicy too, with a good amount of guaranteed money. After what happened to SS, every receiver who was here will think twice about turning down a big contract. I think Nicks has shown us what he brings to the table. He will play hard every game and play through pain and when he's healthy he is the best to wear a Giants uniform.

I think his agent will convince him to wait until next offseason and don't settle for a good but not great offer.
    It's a gamble, but if I were advising Nicks that would be my advice. If Nicks has a knock out first 8 games in 2013, I'd go to Reese and start negotiations on firmer footing than coming off a foot and knee plagued season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X