Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants' Franchise Tag: Will Beatty? Martellus Bennett? Kenny Phillips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franchise tag would cripple the cap. I'd rather they sign a low buck guy than give Beatty 10 million for one year.

Sort of just being devils advocate here.

Comment

Originally posted by PBTimmons View Post
      Franchise tag would cripple the cap. I'd rather they sign a low buck guy than give Beatty 10 million for one year.

Sort of just being devils advocate here.
      That's the problem with the Franchise Tag, it's a pretty stiff CAP hit. But Beatty has had some injury issues (retina, back) and that might make it easier to sign him to a long term deal.
      Last edited by RoanokeFan; 02-14-2013, 03:41 PM.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Yep, can't afford to tag Beatty. It will cost too much towards this years cap. JR needs to get creative and get a deal done that back loads the money.

Comment

Beatty needs to be the first priority, like everyone else said. But franchise tags are too big of a cap hit. Get that deal done Reese you IMGRATE!

Comment

Beatty..is there even any question

Comment

Originally posted by rxc999 View Post
              Beatty..is there even any question
              There is actually a huge question because the franchise tag on Beatty would be a heck of a lot of money.

The objective should be to sign Beatty to a long term deal which would not cost us $9+MM vs. the cap like franchising him would do.

Frankly, I really don't see us franchising anyone. I suppose KP is the most likely because franchising a safety won't break the bank.
              Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Estimated franchise price tags for 2013 from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000117300/article/franchise-tag-numbers-tentatively-set-2013-cap-near-121m

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
                  Thanks for this link.

At these numbers we can't afford to franchise any player on our team.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                    Thanks for this link.

At these numbers we can't afford to franchise any player on our team.
                    Yea, I also don't think there's anyone worth franchising this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                      Beatty is the only possiblity for the franchise tag IMHO.

I actually think that we would be the laughing stock of the NFL if we tagged Bennett.
                      Why? Steve Weatherford received the tag last year.

Comment

Gotta be Beatty.

Comment

dont forget, we could franchise either of the 3, and then work out a long term deal that negates the would be potential franchise cap hit...iirc its how we ensured we could keep jacobs through the FA period so that an actual long term deal could be reached, and the franchise cap hit # was ultimately never met

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                            dont forget, we could franchise either of the 3, and then work out a long term deal that negates the would be potential franchise cap hit...iirc its how we ensured we could keep jacobs through the FA period so that an actual long term deal could be reached, and the franchise cap hit # was ultimately never met
                            Yep, the same thing happened with Weatherford... not that a punter's franchise tag hit is in any way comparable to a tackle or running backs, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                              Yep, the same thing happened with Weatherford... not that a punter's franchise tag hit is in any way comparable to a tackle or running backs, of course.
                              None of the 3 names mentioned would justify the salary mandated by franchising them.
                              O line is almost $10MM.
                              Safeties are $7MM
                              TE's are $6MM.

All three would kill our cap situation and stifle our ability to improve our team. Franchising a punter is a drop in the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                                Franchising a punter is a drop in the bucket.
                                Which is what I said...

I was replying to the post about using the tag to allow more time for contract negotiations. If other teams can't make contact with a player, negotiating is easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X