Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants' Franchise Tag: Will Beatty? Martellus Bennett? Kenny Phillips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
    Beatty is the only possiblity for the franchise tag IMHO.

I actually think that we would be the laughing stock of the NFL if we tagged Bennett.
    It depends the number wouldnt be that high last year was only like 5 million. Giants cant tag Beatty they dont have the cap room to pay the 1 year guaranteed money

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
      If we had a stronger line I might lean towards Bennett, but as it is, it would have to be Beatty
      the line could be much improved by start of next season.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
        Jake Long is FA, Fluker should be available when we draft. Beatty collarred around alot, a hook around the collar hold that he got away with quite often lol Lock down? no...Very good yes. .
        Only gave up 3 sacks despite going up against some of the leagues best pass rusher, that's good enough for lock down status

Comment

A lot of teams in the NFL use the franchise tag as a stop gap contract to keep their best players. The good teams in the league use it as a way to actually negotiate with a player that they want to keep long term. Franchising anyone this year will come down to who they believe they can and want to work a long term deal out with. If Giants brass sense there is absolutely no ability to resign any of these guys long term, then I doubt we will see them slap a franchise tag on them. Makes sense from a managerial stand point - if the guy is just going to be gone in another year, why wait to find his replacement?

I'm not sure if the franchise tag really benefits the player or team in negotiations. For the player they can obviously come back to negotiations and say, "You're fine with paying me like a top five player at my position for one year, why not throughout the duration of my contract?" But no player actually wants to go into the season on a one year contract. I can see it motivating them and their agents even more so to try and hammer out a long term deal before training camp starts (weatherford last year).
          Last edited by greenca190; 02-16-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Has to be Beatty

Comment

Once you go franchise you never go back. That's huge money for 1 year of service. A - we can't afford it. B - we want him long term. We can't afford to pay anyone on a franchise tag. We are broke relative to the cap. Reese has to do his best to get Beatty at a decent cost for a longer term. It is either that or we start looking for a replacement for him. Money wise, we are out of options.
              # 80 (For FBomb)

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRoc View Post
                Once you go franchise you never go back. That's huge money for 1 year of service. A - we can't afford it. B - we want him long term. We can't afford to pay anyone on a franchise tag. We are broke relative to the cap. Reese has to do his best to get Beatty at a decent cost for a longer term. It is either that or we start looking for a replacement for him. Money wise, we are out of options.
                That's not true. Just because we tag him doesn't mean we can't work out a long term deal with him in the process. It's gonna be used to stop him from signing with another team. In fact, that's what we did with Steve Weatherford last year.

Comment

Beatty makes the most sense out of those options

Comment

Please don't utilize the franchise tag on Phillips...use it on in damaged goods like Beatty or Bennett but I think we can get Bennett back on a long term deal paying less than $2.5 mil in 2013 whereas the TE franchise amount is well over $5 mil. Focus on Beatty for now with the tag or long term deal the get Cruz locked up...not sure i want to lose him for a rookie (rfa compensation) even if it is a 1st rounder.

Otherwise don't use it...no one else on the team that is leaving for FA that is worth tagging.

Comment

it's hard enough to find a unicorn, let alone tag it..

Comment

Originally posted by drewz View Post
                        That's not true. Just because we tag him doesn't mean we can't work out a long term deal with him in the process. It's gonna be used to stop him from signing with another team. In fact, that's what we did with Steve Weatherford last year.
                        What I mean is, if you use that tag he's locked into BIG money. Something we could not carry into a long term contract. If you want Beatty around for a while,then we can not afford to tag him. As far as Weatherford goes, there is a big difference between top 5 punter money and top 5 Left Tackle money. You can't make a direct comparison.
                        # 80 (For FBomb)

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRoc View Post
                          What I mean is, if you use that tag he's locked into BIG money. Something we could not carry into a long term contract. If you want Beatty around for a while,then we can not afford to tag him. As far as Weatherford goes, there is a big difference between top 5 punter money and top 5 Left Tackle money. You can't make a direct comparison.
                          None of the guys we want to re-sign are top 5 talent in the league. The franchise tag means that you pay top 5 money for the guy,whether he's worth it or not. Beatty for instance is a good tackle; but I've recently seen him rated as the #15 tackle in the league, so there's no way you franchise him and pay him top 5 money. And franchising only guarantees you one year, all you've done is made your current cap problem worse, and you'll probably lose the guy in a year anyhow. Remember, once you franchise the guy , when you sit down to negotiate for the following year you're either going to a) re-sign him for the franchise amount, which is more than he's worth, or b) tell him you want a substantial pay cut from his franchise salary. Option b is probably just going to piss the guy off, so he'll probably bolt from you anyway.

Franchising is meant for the Eli, JPP or Nicks type of player, not these guys.

Comment

I really like James Brewer,, quick feet and Mosley shows alot of Promise. Right now, though Beatty is our best lineman followed by Snee,but he can be replaced. Bennett on the other hand can block, catch and is a pro and proven, who do we have to replace him? Robinson, Pascoe? I believe Bennett should be signed along with Stevie Brown and Vic Cruz, positive nucleus of the Giants.
                            If the Giants go into the season with Brewer and Mosley as their starting tackles Eli should retire or demand to be traded.
                            Last edited by ozzie0075; 02-17-2013, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie0075 View Post
                              If the Giants go into the season with Brewer and Mosley as their starting tackles Eli should retire or demand to be traded.
                              He'll be running for his life.. very bad idea

Comment

I really like James Brewer,, quick feet and Mosley shows alot of Promise. Right now, though Beatty is our best lineman followed by Snee,but he can be replaced. Bennett on the other hand can block, catch and is a pro and proven, who do we have to replace him? Robinson, Pascoe? I believe Bennett should be signed along with Stevie Brown and Vic Cruz, positive nucleus of the Giants.
                                Where exactly have you seen Brewer's quick feet on display? Or Mosley's promise?

Comment

Working...
                                X