Giants Aim To Re-Sign LB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBTimmons View Post
    Baseless article. He was great in the SB run, but blackburn would only be a detriment to this team. He's not even good depth for $850k next year.
    Detriment?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

This is rather a foolish debate. This is not a zero sum decision for Reese. The Giants typically retain 7-8 LBs on the roster. They can extend Chase for 1-2 more years AND upgrade the unit through draft and/or FA. They've already released Boley soly due to cap issues. They may or may not retain Herzlich--he'll have to compete this spring/summer to remain on the team. Chase has proven--repeatedly--over his 8 seasons that he adds value to the team, if only as a quality back up LBer that can play all 3 positions adequately and continued his strong ST play this year. These are valuable assets of a professional back up.

Blackburn knows that is his value to the team. He knows he won't be offered a starter LB position by any other team, and he knows he won't be offered--at age 30--a significant mutli-million dollar, multi-year contract from any other team. If you won't take my word for it, listen to his interviews over the past 2 years.

And if anyone doesn't think Reese will approach Chase with all that in mind, you aren't paying attention. Every player cannot be a legitimate starter. No team can afford to pay 53 legitimate starters. Reese knows this, and Chase knows this.

Reese won't try to screw or insult Blackburn with his offer. And I believe that Blackburn's agent, as well as Blackburn himself, know what's fair and will act accordingly. And that will still allow for "upgrade" replacements for Boley, and possibly for Herzlich, possibly for Kiwi ([I]if[/I][ he's moved back to DE,
      and even possibly for Rivers (injury issues).

Comment

the article said that Blackburn solidified the run defense, when did that happen and how did I not see it

Comment

Chase is a great guy, and plays with a lot of heart.. He's a back up player that adds depth. We need to address that issue and hopefully re-sign chase for depth.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post
            You can't really use that as an arguement considering Reese's philosophy on pass rushers vs linebackers. It's not like Chase was competing with the cream of the crop. Love him and his fire.....but we need to upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24FvP-tyyTs
            IMO Chase is only here because he has no competition and that is something that has to change this year or it will just be more of the same...

Comment

There are three threads currently running on this topic, they need to be merged

Comment

Blackburn value comes primarily from his knowledge of the defense and his leadership abilities. We're not going to get that through the draft and we don't have the money to throw at any free agents, so expect to see Blackburn starting as MLB again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by KidA View Post
                  Blackburn value comes primarily from his knowledge of the defense and his leadership abilities. We're not going to get that through the draft and we don't have the money to throw at any free agents, so expect to see Blackburn starting as MLB again this year.
                  I disagree........I think Reese may finally go after a LB in the first round.
                  I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Except that the guy who seemed like the most likely candidate just added a DUI to his list of character concerns . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                      Except that the guy who seemed like the most likely candidate just added a DUI to his list of character concerns . . . .
                      Olgletree? Link?

Comment

Originally posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
                        There are three threads currently running on this topic, they need to be merged

Comment

Nevermind....I found it, ****!!!!
                          http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...r-arrested-dui

Comment

That seems possible at last for FO to draft a 1st round LB but I do see as another possibility for Reese to " squeeze " another year out of Chase and fortify the trenches thru the draft or go after " skill " players early.
                            " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                              People make mistakes and I'm not sticking up for him, but come on. When we got Bradshaw, all I kept hearing it how he got arrested for breaking into someone's dorm and stealing their PS2. I know it's not the same thing, but like I said, people make mistakes. These guys are coming straight out of college, the Giants can fix these problems.

Comment

Originally posted by DIPSET_ALL_DAY View Post
                                People make mistakes and I'm not sticking up for him, but come on. When we got Bradshaw, all I kept hearing it how he got arrested for breaking into someone's dorm and stealing their PS2. I know it's not the same thing, but like I said, people make mistakes. These guys are coming straight out of college, the Giants can fix these problems.
                                If anything the DUI is probably less of an infraction that breaking and entering and theft.

Comment

Working...
                                X